Romney flip-flops 4 times on health care reform in past 24 hours

nitroz

INDEPENDENTly ruthless
May 18, 2011
Merritt Island, FL
US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Romney flip-flops 4 times on health care reform in past 24 hours

The man believes in nothing.

Sunday morning on NBC, Mitt Romney said that while he wants to repeal Health Care Reform, he would leave the provisions in place that ban insurers from discriminating based on pre-existing conditions, and that require insurance companies to cover children up to the age of 26 on their parents' plans.

Hooray! A moment of humanity from the ice princess!

Not so fast. As soon as Mitt's conservative overlords got wind of it, Romney did a quick 180, and now is against helping people with pre-existing conditions, and with children aged 26 and under.

Let me be more precise. Mitt Romney is now saying that if he's elected president he will take away health care from 6.6 million children that are now on their parents' health insurance plans, and he will once again let insurance companies turn away people with "pre-existing conditions" as benign as psoriasis, high cholesterol and asthma.

In reference to how Romney would deal with those with preexisting conditions and young adults who want to remain on their parents’ plans, a Romney aide responded that there had been no change in Romney’s position and that “in a competitive environment, the marketplace will make available plans that include coverage for what there is demand for. He was not proposing a federal mandate to require insurance plans to offer those particular features.”

Then, suddenly, last night the Romney campaign amended their amended statement in an effort to suggest that they would in fact preserve the non-discrimination language concerning pre-existing conditions. Hurray!

But not so fast, a re-read of the new statement makes clear that in fact Romney won't be preserving the pre-existing conditions protections that are in Health Care Reform. Romney simply wanted you to think he was going to preserve it, but he really isn't.

So now he's not simply spineless, he's also duplicitous.

When you're worth a minimum of a quarter of a billion dollars it's of little consequence to you that more than six million children will lose their health insurance because of your incessant pandering to the far right.

But just as serious, this is all the more evidence that Mitt Romney simply believes in nothing. He will be whatever the highest bidder wants him to be. And that doesn't bode well for the rest of us not worth a quarter of a billion dollars.

I am sure the debates will bring a lot of this out.

Romney has never said he WOULDN'T repeal the ACA.

End of story.

Romney has never said he WOULDN'T repeal the ACA.

He said:

GREGORY: So you'd keep that part of the federal plan?

MR. ROMNEY: Well, I'm not getting rid of all of healthcare reform. Of course, there are a number of things that I like in healthcare reform that I'm going to put in place. One is to make sure that those with pre-existing conditions can get coverage. Two is to assure that the marketplace allows for individuals to have policies that cover their-- their family up to whatever age they might like. I also want individuals to be able to buy insurance, health insurance, on their own as opposed to only being able to get it on a tax advantage basis through their company.

Worst case scenario the GOP "repeals" it and reinstates it the next day.

Dammit, I just found that too...

"The man believes in nothing.

Sunday morning on NBC, Mitt Romney said that while he wants to repeal Health Care Reform, he would leave the provisions in place that ban insurers from discriminating based on pre-existing conditions, and that require insurance companies to cover children up to the age of 26 on their parents' plans.

Hooray! A moment of humanity from the ice princess!

Not so fast. As soon as Mitt's conservative overlords got wind of it, Romney did a quick 180, and now is against helping people with pre-existing conditions, and with children aged 26 and under.

Let me be more precise. Mitt Romney is now saying that if he's elected president he will take away health care from 6.6 million children that are now on their parents' health insurance plans, and he will once again let insurance companies turn away people with "pre-existing conditions" as benign as psoriasis, high cholesterol and asthma.

In reference to how Romney would deal with those with preexisting conditions and young adults who want to remain on their parents’ plans, a Romney aide responded that there had been no change in Romney’s position and that “in a competitive environment, the marketplace will make available plans that include coverage for what there is demand for. He was not proposing a federal mandate to require insurance plans to offer those particular features.”

Then, suddenly, last night the Romney campaign amended their amended statement in an effort to suggest that they would in fact preserve the non-discrimination language concerning pre-existing conditions. Hurray!

But not so fast, a re-read of the new statement makes clear that in fact Romney won't be preserving the pre-existing conditions protections that are in Health Care Reform. Romney simply wanted you to think he was going to preserve it, but he really isn't.

So now he's not simply spineless, he's also duplicitous.

When you're worth a minimum of a quarter of a billion dollars it's of little consequence to you that more than six million children will lose their health insurance because of your incessant pandering to the far right.

But just as serious, this is all the more evidence that Mitt Romney simply believes in nothing. He will be whatever the highest bidder wants him to be. And that doesn't bode well for the rest of us not worth a quarter of a billion dollars."

Source: http://www.americablog.com/2012/09/r...on-health.html

Last two weeks- HUGE lies on Obama gutting Medicare, Workfare- refusal to name ANY loopholes to pay for 5 trillion dollar tax cuts on the rich, and this! Basically the GOP is imploding...for non dupes at least.

Last edited:
I hope he didn't throw out his back!

Frankly, I would almost feel bad for the man at this point. His reforms in MA were actually kind of sensible. But his base HATES the idea of health care reform or that Obama did it where Clinton, Carter, LBJ, JFK and FDR failed. (And a few right minded Republicans like Teddy Roosevelt and Ike.)

So of course, he has to say he will retain the pre-existing condition exemption, but then he had to say, oh, no, he only means for those who maintained insurance. (This is already the law and has been since 1996, so that gains you nothing.)

I think deep down, his biggest regret about ObamaCare was he didn't win in 2008 and impose it under his name. but now he has to hate it because his base hates it.

Forum List

Back