Romney Disagrees With GOP On: Obamacare Penalty v Tax

SC ruled the penalty unconstitutional under the commerce clause but constitutional via tax.

The court ruled 5 to 4, wiith Chief Justice John Roberts siding with the majority, that the mandate is unconstitutional under the Constitution's commerce clause, but it can stay as part of Congress's power under a taxing clause. The court said that the government will be allowed to tax people for not having health insurance.

"The Affordable Care Act's requirement that certain individuals pay a financial penalty for not obtaining health insurance may reasonably be characterized as a tax," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the ruling. "Because the Constitution permits such a tax, it is not our role to forbid it, or to pass upon its wisdom or fairness."

Supreme Court Health Care Ruling: The Mandate Can Stay - ABC News

So, which is it? Unconstitutional penalty or constitutional tax?

The mandate was ruled unConstitutional under the Commerce Clause. The mandate is Constitutional under the taxing powers of Congress.

The shared responsibility payment which is called a penalty in the text of the law, was NOT ruled unconstitutional. The shared responsibility payment was ruled constitutional as a tax. '

Calling a penalty a tax doesn't make it so.

U B dumb as shit

My mistake in typing penalty was ruled unconstitutional when I meant mandate. Guess I should have proofed my post, pretty duh on my part. Glad you acted so adult-like in your response. Oh, wait . . . .

And calling a tax a penalty doesn't make it so.

Either it's a tax or its unconstitutional. Take your pick.

It's law is what it is.

tumblr_lxlqndg2tu1r3agiao1_500.gif

SC ruled the penalty unconstitutional under the commerce clause but constitutional via tax.

Supreme Court Health Care Ruling: The Mandate Can Stay - ABC News

So, which is it? Unconstitutional penalty or constitutional tax?

The mandate was ruled unConstitutional under the Commerce Clause. The mandate is Constitutional under the taxing powers of Congress.

The shared responsibility payment which is called a penalty in the text of the law, was NOT ruled unconstitutional. The shared responsibility payment was ruled constitutional as a tax. '

Calling a penalty a tax doesn't make it so.

U B dumb as shit

My mistake in typing penalty was ruled unconstitutional when I meant mandate. Guess I should have proofed my post, pretty duh on my part. Glad you acted so adult-like in your response. Oh, wait . . . .

And calling a tax a penalty doesn't make it so.

It does when you cite precedent and more as Roberts did. :laugh2: loser

Inaccurate as fuck.

It should read:

"No thanks, I don't want to buy that pack of gum. Instead, I'm going to suck down fatty, greasy foods, smoke and drink and then when I have to go to the ER/hospital because I didn't go in for regular appointments to see how badly I was killing myself, I'll let the tax payers pay my bills instead."

"Oh, well then we're going to tax you now to help offset the extra costs you're going to put on everyone else, Free Loader. Oh, you don't make enough money to pay for insurance? Okay, here's $4000 in tax credits to help you afford it."

"Fuck you, COMMIE!"

Inaccurate as fuck.

It should read:

"No thanks, I don't want to buy that pack of gum. Instead, I'm going to suck down fatty, greasy foods, smoke and drink and then when I have to go to the ER/hospital because I didn't go in for regular appointments to see how badly I was killing myself, I'll let the tax payers pay my bills instead."

"Oh, well then we're going to tax you now to help offset the extra costs you're going to put on everyone else, Free Loader. Oh, you don't make enough money to pay for insurance? Okay, here's $4000 in tax credits to help you afford it."

"Fuck you, COMMIE!"
:eusa_whistle:

Romney has "consistently described the mandate as a penalty."

you can't make this shit up :rofl:

"The American people … do not want the government telling them what kind of insurance policy they have to buy, and how much they have to pay for it, and if you don't like it, we're going to tax you," House Speaker John Boehner said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation."

“[The court] was more honest than he was, and said Obamacare is a huge tax increase on middle-class families across America," Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana said on a conference call organized by the Republican National Committee on Friday.

"In 2008, Candidate Obama promised middle-class American families that they wouldn't see their taxes go up under his administration, yet his signature legislation did just that," said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

Romney agrees with Obama: Healthcare mandate not a tax [video] - latimes.com

Actually if you listen to what he was saying you would understand.

He is saying no it's not a tax, it's a Mandate under the Commerce clause and therefore should not be legal.

Hardly the same thing as what you imply.

"The American people … do not want the government telling them what kind of insurance policy they have to buy, and how much they have to pay for it, and if you don't like it, we're going to tax you," House Speaker John Boehner said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation."

“[The court] was more honest than he was, and said Obamacare is a huge tax increase on middle-class families across America," Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana said on a conference call organized by the Republican National Committee on Friday.

"In 2008, Candidate Obama promised middle-class American families that they wouldn't see their taxes go up under his administration, yet his signature legislation did just that," said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

He is saying no it's not a tax, it's a Mandate under the Commerce clause and therefore should not be legal.

How the heck would any of us know what Romney is saying as he keeps saying so many different things about the very same subjects? Is this Romney's Cafeteria style of Politics?

The shared responsibility payment is mandated under the Commerce Clause? Says who? Where can I find this to be true:

PPACA

SCOTUS Decision on PPACA

...do you know or are you only repeating what Romney is saying?

How the heck would any of us know what Romney is saying as he keeps saying so many different things about the very same subjects? Is this Romney's Cafeteria style of Politics?

The shared responsibility payment is mandated under the Commerce Clause? Says who? Where can I find this to be true:

PPACA

SCOTUS Decision on PPACA

Romeny's own campaign has put out that Romney has consistently been saying

PPACA

SCOTUS Decision on PPACA

Romeny's own campaign has put out that Romney has consistently been saying... Romney agrees with Obama: Healthcare mandate not a tax [video] - latimes.com

Eric Fehrnstrom, a senior Mitt Romney campaign advisor, said in an interview Monday that Romney agrees with Obama that the mechanism to enforce the so-called mandate that Americans have insurance — a provision modeled after the Massachusetts law Romney had signed as governor — was a penalty and not a tax, a statement that runs counter to what the rest of the GOP has argued in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling last Thursday.

Fehrnstrom, seeming to understand the awkward position the Romney campaign is in, parsed his words carefully. He criticized Obama for "celebrating" the majority opinion while he and members of his administration still dispute that the penalty for not having insurance is a tax. Romney, by contrast, has "consistently described the mandate as a penalty."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back