Romney Campaign Trashes Iowa Diner

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Jason Linkins

I think it's safe to say that political campaigns should make a concerted effort to tread lightly when visiting Iowa dining establishments on the trail. Especially after the Romney campaign's ill-fated visit to the Main Street Diner in Council Bluffs, which ended in a lot of damaged property, broken keepsakes, and hurt feelings. Dianne Bauer, who owns the diner, opened up to Nicole Ebat of KPTM News, and didn't have anything kind to say about her restaurant being used as a campaign stop:

"Stuff got broke. My table cloths they just got ripped off, wadded up and thrown in the back room."

She says the boom truck she allowed the campaign to borrow to gain access to the roof now has an 8-inch gouge in it that she'll have to take the time to repair.

The campaign told her to send them an itemized list of anything that was broken, and they would pay for it, but Bauer says that won't fix everything.

"My dad's picture, an emblem my dad gave me, it got broke. Those aren't things you can replace."​

More: Everyone On The Campaign Trail Should Stop Treating Iowa Diner Employees Like Complete Crap, Okay?

By Jason Linkins

I think it's safe to say that political campaigns should make a concerted effort to tread lightly when visiting Iowa dining establishments on the trail. Especially after the Romney campaign's ill-fated visit to the Main Street Diner in Council Bluffs, which ended in a lot of damaged property, broken keepsakes, and hurt feelings. Dianne Bauer, who owns the diner, opened up to Nicole Ebat of KPTM News, and didn't have anything kind to say about her restaurant being used as a campaign stop:

"Stuff got broke. My table cloths they just got ripped off, wadded up and thrown in the back room."

She says the boom truck she allowed the campaign to borrow to gain access to the roof now has an 8-inch gouge in it that she'll have to take the time to repair.

The campaign told her to send them an itemized list of anything that was broken, and they would pay for it, but Bauer says that won't fix everything.

"My dad's picture, an emblem my dad gave me, it got broke. Those aren't things you can replace."​

More: Everyone On The Campaign Trail Should Stop Treating Iowa Diner Employees Like Complete Crap, Okay?

The link doesn't even state clearly whether Romney was actually there, or who specifically did the damage. Was it the Media? Who knows... The fact IS the article in the link is so completely vague no rational person can form any kind of opinion of who specifically did the damage. Now are we going to start blaming Obama for all the trashing of Public places by the Occupy loons? Because that would be the moral equivalent. Romney didn't trash the diner... Other people did.

Bauer says she never even got to meet the candidate she closed half of her restaurant down for.

"Every time we tried to go out or look, secret service was right there," she said.

She was complaining about the event to a friend when reporters overheard her and posted about it online.

That's when Romney called Bauer himself. She says he explained that it was just a misunderstanding that she did not get to meet him, but the phone call didn't smooth things over for her.

"He responded 'well, I'm sorry your table cloths got ripped off, wadded up and thrown in the back room' and I took it as mocking," she said. "We're the ones he's wanting to get the votes from, you'd think we would have been treated better."

She says the whole experience left her wondering.

"With how he treated me, is that how he's going to treat others? You know, if he gets in office is he going to be that way to us little people?"

But one thing is for sure, she won't be letting any more politicians through her cafe doors.

KPTM did reach out to the Romney campaign spokesperson for Iowa, but emails stopped coming after telling him what the story was about.

Cafe Owner After Hosting Romney Event: "I felt like it was a mocking" - KPTM FOX 42: Omaha News, Sports and Weather; kptm.com |

Aw, shucks, now we're in the deflect and spin cycle...

Now you see the ridiculousness of the OP.:clap2:

Aw, so if Obama's campaign had trashed the same diner - you wouldn't have started a thread about it...?

I wouldn't have blamed it on Romney, any more than I blame Obama for the destruction caused by OWS. Do you grasp the concept? No, I wouldn't have started a thread about it.

Now you see the ridiculousness of the OP.:clap2:

Aw, so if Obama's campaign had trashed the same diner - you wouldn't have started a thread about it...?

I wouldn't have blamed it on Romney, any more than I blame Obama for the destruction caused by OWS. Do you grasp the concept? No, I wouldn't have started a thread about it.

Aw, you're such a swell person. Who would you have blamed it on other than Romney's campaign staff?

Aw, you're such a swell person. Who would you have blamed it on other than Romney's campaign staff?

Did you read the article YOU linked? It is too vague to form an opinion... I offered the possibility it might have been Media people, or even campaign staff, ANYBODY!!!!!...Unless of course if you're a partisan hack then by all means it's ONLY Romney's campaign staff. Get real.

Did you read the article YOU linked? It is too vague to form an opinion... I offered the possibility it might have been Media people, or even campaign staff, ANYBODY!!!!!...Unless of course if you're a partisan hack then by all means it's ONLY Romney's campaign staff. Get real.

Read the following link before sounding any dumber than you already have. I had posted it previously.

COUNCIL BLUFFS(KPTM)-- Dianne Bauer opened up her cafe to Mitt Romney and his campaign for a small round table discussion Friday morning before his speech at Bayliss Park.

This isn't the first politician that has asked Bauer to use the Main Street Cafe in downtown Council Bluffs.

"With Rick Perry he made a point of stopping in the kitchen before he ever went to the other side to address the public and the media to thank us and introduce himself to us," said Bauer. "That's what I thought we would get here, just normal. This was all out, like you'd think Obama was here."

Bauer's issues with the campaigns staffers started the night before when they started staging the cafe for the event.

She described many of their demeanors as "arrogant".

She says her cafe was not treated with the respect it deserved.

Cafe Owner After Hosting Romney Event: "I felt like it was a mocking" - KPTM FOX 42: Omaha News, Sports and Weather; kptm.com |

I really feel sorry for the lady who owns the diner. She seems very hurt.

Wonder if you would fee sorry for the lady if it had been an Barry campaign stop??

In fact. I have to wonder if you would even have posted the thread if it had been a Barry stop??

Kinda doubt it.

Forum List

Back