Romney: "As President, on Day One....I will reverse Obama’s massive defense cuts"

Plans on cutting, but hasn't happened yet.

I heard a lot of Obama's plans on the campaign trail, a lot about improving the economy and unemployment, and obviously none of that has happened.

So I wouldn't say you can cut something that hasn't happened yet.

And now, for the REAL quote...

direct from the OP's link

As President, on Day One, I will focus on rebuilding America’s economy. I will reverse President Obama’s massive defense cuts. Time and again, we have seen that attempts to balance the budget by weakening our military only lead to a far higher price, not only in treasure, but in blood.

He's giving a speech at a military college. You think he, or any Democratic candidate, would not tell the audience exactly what they want to hear?

EDIT: BTW, if a conservative or Republican leaning poster had 'forgotten' an important part of the quote they based their entire thread on, libtards would be crawling out of the woodwork to chastise them. I'm just saying...

Fine. WHICH defense cuts that he blames on Obama is he referring to?

Wasn't my point, nor was I agreeing with him. I was commenting on the misquotation by the OP, and that had I or any other conservative leaning poster done the same thing, the libtards would throw a fit.

As to the specifics of 'defense cuts', I've no idea one way or the other. If there were none, he's lying. If there were, then he isn't.

EDIT: I know that back in April, Obama was talking about massive cuts to defense spending. Perhaps those future cuts are what Romney was talking about. Seems a little dishonest to talk like they've already taken place though.

Last edited:
Slut just like Obama's 'complainin'/grumblin'/cryin'/bedroom slippers speech is whoring - or should I say ho-in'. ;)

Last edited:
So - what's to be gained by not holding them accountable?
Then do it with Obama - he is in office already.

Thanks.

Hold Obama accountable by electing Romney and his holocaust of fiscal insanity?

jeezus.
Ummm, hold Obama accountable for his lies during his campaign.

How idiots would like to accomplish that is beyond me, - I mean, free speech is still a right, so far - but I am not the idiot who suggested it.

What is interesting is that spending levels (and yes I include spending on defense), are bring the US's economic strength down.
Al Qaeda has always wanted to destroy us economically by spending outrageous money fighting them, just like they did to the USSR. China, is also interested in defeating the US economically, they spend about one-sixth of what the US spends on defense.
The US seems to be playing into the hands of our enemies.

The defense of this nation should be the FIRST concern of the federal government. You want to KNOW what has been cut? My friends, it's very easy, all you have to do is look.

189 F-22 Raptors instead of the 486 that the Air Force wanted. The F-15 has NEVER been downed in a one-on-one dogfight whether it's Israeli's, Saudi's, or Americans driving her. But it's getting old (developed in 1972) and the F-22 is the Cadillac of the fighter industry. The Chinese J20 is up and being produced and the Russians are putting the finishing touches on their version as well. You absolutely KNOW the next war is going to be the F-22 vs the Russian or Chinese version.

The bottom line is that when something happens, we always get right into the middle of it. American soldiers are going to DIE if we don't provide them the best equipment and training possible. We have 11 carrier groups. Not enough to put carriers in all the oceans, given those that are in port for refitting or overhauil. There needs to be 16 carrier groups. To go with that you need to have at least a 400 ship Navy. Reagan had a 600 ship Navy. We're down to a little over 200.

The Minuteman III is 40+ years old. There needs to be an updated version of this missle. It's an important leg in the triad and it certainly gives the bad guys pause when they go to pushing things. There are only 11 B-2 stealth bombers. Another leg in the triad. The other manned bombers, the B-1 (30years) and the B-52 are getting old, or in the case of the B-52, it's is older than I am, for Christ's sake. There needs to be SIX WINGS of those bombers to replace some of the older ones we have. The Poseiden missle carried by the SSBN's is 30+ years old. I would hope that soon we are going to be looking into that as well.

There are hundreds of programs that have been cancelled or placed on hold by the Obama administration in favor of "giveaways." I'd rather have our citizens working for Boeing or Northrup Grumman as engineers than sitting around collecting food stamps or unemployment. Besides, the technology that goes into defense technology has so many different applications on the civilian side, that it's real easy to introduce new industries from that technology.

I realize that defense spending is the whipping boy of the left, but if Romney gets elected then I hope he reverses the trend that even Leon Panetta is saying will endanger this nation.

I don't disagree with this move as long as Romney pays for it without borrowing money.

What is your opinion since you made the thread?

There haven't been any defense cuts.

yes in fact there have,how many times do you need to see it? they have been posted a number of times....you can even google.....you'll run across speeches from mullens gates panetta et al over the depth and breadth of the cuts etc.

total surface reading here.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-06/...defense-secretary-robert-gates?_s=PM:POLITICS

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/03/us-usa-defense-panetta-idUSTRE7725GY20110803

this doesn't for instance address canceled Ford class air craft carriers ( which bear a 20% up front cost paid 5 years AHEAD which Bush paid for 2).

Last edited:
Let's see...

Defense spending, 2011, $739 b; 2010 $721b; 2009 $698b; 2008 $696b; 2007 $626b; 2005, $506b

Oh, this is gonna be a fun election! :lol:

nice try. the war, which though carried off budget is used in the figures the media publishes who then beats up bush for carrying it off budget ( which I agree he should not have done btw)

minus the following-
page 7

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33110.pdf

U.S._Defense_Spending_Trends.png

Obama's Military Budget Cuts Now Official

President Obama on Wednesday announced $400 billion in defense cuts between now and 2023. But in reality, defense budgets have already been cut, are being cut now, and will be cut even further in the future. And it’s happening at the expense of national security.

He specifically referenced $400 billion in defense “savings” found to date by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates as the effort he’d like to copy and apply to deficit reduction. Of this money identified by Secretary Gates, only $100 billion is technically considered “savings” resulting from efficiency initiatives and reforms at the Pentagon. The remaining $300 billion in defense cuts the President would like to emulate resulted from significant cuts through the cancelation or delaying of over 50 major weapons programs.

Last year, the Obama administration, Secretary of Defense, and Congress began reshaping the U.S. military by changing the direction of defense investments and canceling programs with a total lifetime value of over $300 billion (if seen through completion). The list of defense cuts includes a combat search and rescue helicopter, the F-22 fifth generation fighter, the Army’s future combat systems (primarily a ground vehicle program), the multiple-kill vehicle for missile defense, a bomber for the Air Force, the VH-71 presidential helicopter, a transformational satellite program, and the second airborne laser aircraft.

In addition, the Administration decided to extend the construction of an aircraft carrier by an extra year from four to five, reduce the number of ground-based midcourse defense interceptors from 44 to 30, and indefinitely delay the Navy’s next generation cruiser.

April 14, 2011

Heritage Foundation

:lol:

He's giving a speech at a military college. You think he, or any Democratic candidate, would not tell the audience exactly what they want to hear?

EDIT: BTW, if a conservative or Republican leaning poster had 'forgotten' an important part of the quote they based their entire thread on, libtards would be crawling out of the woodwork to chastise them. I'm just saying...

Wasn't my point, nor was I agreeing with him. I was commenting on the misquotation by the OP, and that had I or any other conservative leaning poster done the same thing, the libtards would throw a fit.

As to the specifics of 'defense cuts', I've no idea one way or the other. If there were none, he's lying. If there were, then he isn't.

EDIT: I know that back in April, Obama was talking about massive cuts to defense spending. Perhaps those future cuts are what Romney was talking about. Seems a little dishonest to talk like they've already taken place though.
There is no misquoting! I posted Mitten's actual words.

The defense of this nation should be the FIRST concern of the federal government. You want to KNOW what has been cut? My friends, it's very easy, all you have to do is look.

189 F-22 Raptors instead of the 486 that the Air Force wanted. The F-15 has NEVER been downed in a one-on-one dogfight whether it's Israeli's, Saudi's, or Americans driving her. But it's getting old (developed in 1972) and the F-22 is the Cadillac of the fighter industry. The Chinese J20 is up and being produced and the Russians are putting the finishing touches on their version as well. You absolutely KNOW the next war is going to be the F-22 vs the Russian or Chinese version.

The bottom line is that when something happens, we always get right into the middle of it. American soldiers are going to DIE if we don't provide them the best equipment and training possible. We have 11 carrier groups. Not enough to put carriers in all the oceans, given those that are in port for refitting or overhauil. There needs to be 16 carrier groups. To go with that you need to have at least a 400 ship Navy. Reagan had a 600 ship Navy. We're down to a little over 200.

The Minuteman III is 40+ years old. There needs to be an updated version of this missle. It's an important leg in the triad and it certainly gives the bad guys pause when they go to pushing things. There are only 11 B-2 stealth bombers. Another leg in the triad. The other manned bombers, the B-1 (30years) and the B-52 are getting old, or in the case of the B-52, it's is older than I am, for Christ's sake. There needs to be SIX WINGS of those bombers to replace some of the older ones we have. The Poseiden missle carried by the SSBN's is 30+ years old. I would hope that soon we are going to be looking into that as well.

There are hundreds of programs that have been cancelled or placed on hold by the Obama administration in favor of "giveaways." I'd rather have our citizens working for Boeing or Northrup Grumman as engineers than sitting around collecting food stamps or unemployment. Besides, the technology that goes into defense technology has so many different applications on the civilian side, that it's real easy to introduce new industries from that technology.

I realize that defense spending is the whipping boy of the left, but if Romney gets elected then I hope he reverses the trend that even Leon Panetta is saying will endanger this nation.
You're still fighting Vietnam.

There is no misquoting! I posted Mitten's actual words.

you left out the middle of the quote, you disingenuous hack.

Synthaholic said:
Romney: "As President, on Day One....I will reverse President Obama’s massive defense cuts. "

Quote:
As President, on Day One, I will focus on rebuilding America’s economy. I will reverse President Obama’s massive defense cuts. Time and again, we have seen that attempts to balance the budget by weakening our military only lead to a far higher price, not only in treasure, but in blood.

Do you see the difference, dip-shit?

Last edited:
Romney is someone who avoided military service himself, and said that his kids working on his campaign was as valid as military service during a war.

The reality is that America can no longer be the world's policeman. We can't afford it, and the world doesn't really want us to do it, anyway.

Forum List

Back