Romney, another Obama???

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BOBO, Oct 29, 2011.

1. BOBO

BOBO The Magnificent!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm not picking on Mitt Romney, I'm really not. I'm just trying to figure out what he has that makes him desirable to the small government GOP crowd. From what I have heard from Mitt has nothing to do with downsizing the federal government at all. Mitt talks about streamlining the federal government just as Herman Cain talks about streamlining the fed reserve, but that's like streamlining cancer... why eliminate a cancerous tumor when you can streamline the tumor & still get off playing with the cancerous tumor???
    The only thing I can think of is that the GOP & Independent constituency get off on big government as much or more than the DNC constituency. If this is true why not merge the political entities mentioned above & call it the Republocratic Independent Party(RIP). Then the Constitutionally based 3rd parties could merge & form into a 2nd party called the Constitutional American Party(CAP).
    The reason I fled the DNC for the GOP was ever & ever bigger government. The reason I fled the GOP for the Libertarian party was ever & ever bigger government. Though I support the concept of minarchy...

Minarchism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...I in no way support anarchy. Is it possible that the DNC/GOP & Independents are all lovers of big government statism???? Or maybe it's what is now called "Not In My Back Yard"(NIMBYism)... "yeah cut the other guys g'vment benniies but NOT MINE." This Mitt Romney worship going around in the GOP/Independents has me baffled. Anyone with an opinion on Mitt Romney's current popularity???

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. deepthunk

deepthunk Justadude with a keyboard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55
    HEAR! HEAR! I couldn’t agree more. Give that man a round of applause.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,989
    I think the only reason why some Republicans support Romney is that they've bought into the meme that he can beat Obama, and they want to beat Obama for the sake of beating Obama, not necessarily to undo his policies or change the course signifigantly.

And understandable, they've been hating for three years, they can't think straight.

The problem is, the reasoning is flawed. If you run a guy who believes in the same things, you aren't presenting a contrast, you are just advocating for more of the same. You've essentially conceded the argument.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    I just like him because he's white. Seeing all the black people who are beaming with pride simply because the president's race is 50% black makes me jealous, I wanna be proud of a white man in the oval office!!!! Thats fair, right?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,534
    Romney is all the GOP's got, unless someone else declares his candidacy. He'll lose to Obama though.

6. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Gonna miss all those states that get lost as a result of government "streamlining". Well then again, who'd miss Texas?

7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    You need to put this in context.

That Romney will be the GOP nominee is indicative of the fact that the ‘small government GOP crowd’ is a permanent minority, forever on the fringe and forever irrelevant.

The vast majority of republicans have no desire for ‘small government,’ they correctly perceive it as naïve reactionaryism; indeed, the previous administration spent eight years working hard to expand the government and accumulate greater authority for the Imperial Presidency.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  8. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    There is a caveat to that. The part of government Republicans want to make small is the regulatory infrastructure and anything helpful to the "99%" of Americans. They have no desire to shut down the Military/Industrial/Energy complex that keeps stuffing the pockets of the 1%.

9. BOBO

BOBO The Magnificent!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    It's the ole "MY TEAM" mentality for sure. The GROUPTHINK crowd has to support the picked leader or risk being alienated from the 'herd'. Your right too about hating & not thinking straight. I mean they have Ron Paul & Gary Johnson(a PROVEN candidate) that will lead them down the road to Constitutional government... but no, they pick a candidate like Romney!!!
    I support both Gary Johnson & Ron Paul as they will steer the GOP AWAY from big government neoconism & corporate welfare. Gary was considered such a threat to the neocons that early on they marginalized him then completely censored him. Ron has been getting censored also which outta tell the GOP constituency that there's something rotten in the GOP organization in general.
    Heck, why waste time with Mitt Romney when we have his twin already in the White House??? You gave a super answer for sure Big Joe!!!

10. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,989
    Actually, Republicans are making the same mistake that Democrats made in 2004. Throw principles out the window, nominate a guy who looks like he can win on paper, so long as no one looks too close.

And quite the contrary, the reason most Republicans came to resent Bush was because he didn't follow through on making government smaller. But government is going to be made smaller now no matter who wins, just by terms of pure economy. We can't afford government this big anymore.