Romney and Mormonism...

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
This was an interesting poll I found.

Gallup: 22% Say They Wouldn't Vote for a Mormon | The Weekly Standard

Gallup's latest poll of American adults asks: "Between now and the 2012 political conventions, there will be discussion about the qualifications of presidential candidates -- their education, age, religion, race, and so on. If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be a Mormon, would you vote for that person?"

The results: 76 percent of Americans say they would vote for a well-qualified Mormon, while 22 percent say they would not. The bias is more pronounced among Democrats: 27 percent say they wouldn't vote for a Mormon, while 18 percent of Republicans and 19 percent of independents say the same.Gallup also notes the bias against Mormons is worse than the bias against ethnic and other religious minorities: "At 22%, Americans' resistance to electing a Mormon president, even one nominated by their own party, is exceeded only by their opposition to electing someone who is either gay or lesbian (32%) or an atheist (49%). By contrast, less than half as many, 10%, say they would not vote for a Hispanic, and fewer than 10% would not vote for a nominee who is Jewish, Baptist, Catholic, female, or black."

So for all you Romney Supporters, do you really want to take this kind of chance in an election this important? Especially for a guy who isn't that committed as a conservative to start with.

Gallup's latest poll of American adults asks: "Between now and the 2012 political conventions, there will be discussion about the qualifications of presidential candidates -- their education, age, religion, race, and so on. If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be a Mormon, would you vote for that person?"

The results: 76 percent of Americans say they would vote for a well-qualified Mormon, while 22 percent say they would not. The bias is more pronounced among Democrats: 27 percent say they wouldn't vote for a Mormon, while 18 percent of Republicans and 19 percent of independents say the same.Gallup also notes the bias against Mormons is worse than the bias against ethnic and other religious minorities: "At 22%, Americans' resistance to electing a Mormon president, even one nominated by their own party, is exceeded only by their opposition to electing someone who is either gay or lesbian (32%) or an atheist (49%). By contrast, less than half as many, 10%, say they would not vote for a Hispanic, and fewer than 10% would not vote for a nominee who is Jewish, Baptist, Catholic, female, or black."

So for all you Romney Supporters, do you really want to take this kind of chance in an election this important? Especially for a guy who isn't that committed as a conservative to start with.

After Bush even Obama could get elected.

After Obama, even a Mormon could be elected. The 2012 election could be the most shit-slinging election since the Kennedy/Catholic bash back in 1960.

Is this the same 22% that are essentially communists? Believe in any number of conspiracy theories?
There is no question there is a lunatic fringe in this percent in about all polls.
Question is if it is the same 22%?

After Obama, even a Mormon could be elected. The 2012 election could be the most shit-slinging election since the Kennedy/Catholic bash back in 1960.

As a former Catholic, I find that kind of offensive, actually. Catholicism is the oldest sect of Christianity and even when Kennedy ran, it was the largest denomination.

I don't put the two things in the same category. Mormons are disliked because they have some pretty crazy beliefs and their so-called "Church" is involved in some pretty dodgy deals.

What I consider telling is that the MSM isn't going after Romney like they are going after the other Republicans. Probably because they are keeping their powder dry, as the saying goes. Don't talk about it now, but after he gets the nomination, we are going to hear all about the Planet Kolob and Magic Underwear and how God made the Native Americans dark-skinned as a punishment and how blacks were admitted into the LDS until 1978.

If Mitt were a Scientologist instead of a Mormon, would we be taking him seriously?

For the record, I don't give a shit what his religion is. He is better economically than Obama, or any other GOP candidate. And.... in case you haven't noticed.... we have a few economic problems right now.

If Romney is the nominee, I'll vote Romney.

If Bachman, Palin, or any other fucking idiot is the candidate, I may well vote for Obama. And that would piss me off.

As a former Catholic, I find that kind of offensive, actually. Catholicism is the oldest sect of Christianity and even when Kennedy ran, it was the largest denomination.

I don't put the two things in the same category. Mormons are disliked because they have some pretty crazy beliefs and their so-called "Church" is involved in some pretty dodgy deals.

What I consider telling is that the MSM isn't going after Romney like they are going after the other Republicans. Probably because they are keeping their powder dry, as the saying goes. Don't talk about it now, but after he gets the nomination, we are going to hear all about the Planet Kolob and Magic Underwear and how God made the Native Americans dark-skinned as a punishment and how blacks were admitted into the LDS until 1978.

If Mitt were a Scientologist instead of a Mormon, would we be taking him seriously?

If you were intelligent, I would take you seriously.

California Girl.

My first choice would be Perry.

I would have reservations about Bachmann or Palin for much the same reasons you do, but I'd still vote for them before Obama. The man has been a disaster. Pawlenty would have been good, but he doesn't seem to know how to run a national campaign. Gingrich is a smart guy, but he just doesn't know how to politic at a national level. Guiliani I could possibly live with, but I don't like him on a personal level.

My own view on Mormons is colored by some experiences I've had with them in the early 1980's. That was before I realized the crazy stuff they actually believed in. Just not the kind of people I would ever trust.

I think there are good reasons to vote against Romney besides his religion. He's got no core convictions, he's almost definitely a closet liberal, and frankly, he's kind of boring. But for me, his religion is the difference between holding my nose and voting for him and staying home next November.

If you were intelligent, I would take you seriously.

No need to get nasty about it. I just point out that this is a potential vulnerability when 18% of your own base will not vote for the guy because of his religion.

Because we have this bizarre anachronism called an Electoral College, this election will be decided in about 10 states. Yours won't be one of them, and neither will mine.

if 18% of your base and 19% of independents won't vote for your guy because they don't like the religion he belongs to, that's a pretty good reason to take that into consideration. Especially if that can tip the balance in a state like Ohio or Indiana or Virginia.

For the record, I was raised Catholic, but don't belong to any religion.

Forum List

Back