Romney Agrees With Progressives: You Can't Do Spending Cuts Alone

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Pat Garofalo

During an event in Michigan today, GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney — in response to a question about the Simpson-Bowles fiscal commission — admitted that budget cuts slow down economic growth. “If you just cut, if all you’re thinking about doing is cutting spending, why as you cut spending you’ll slow down the economy,” he said.

This, of course, flies in the face of the conservative belief that budget cuts will boost economic growth. And already, conservative activists have attacked his statement. “It’s hogwash. It confirms yet again that Romney is not a limited government conservative,” said Andy Roth of the ultra-conservative Club for Growth. Of course, as we noted last week, data from the real world debunks the GOP’s austerity ideology — and evidently Romney agrees.

Romney: 'If You Just Cut...As You Cut, You'll Slow Down The Economy' | ThinkProgress

Romney Admits Budget Cuts Slow The Economy - YouTube

Well I've only tried to explain that to the 'nuts around here about a hundred times.

I'd like to hear Romney now reconcile that with his promise to balance the budget without touching defense and while giving the Rich another big tax cut.

By Michael O'Brien, msnbc.com

"It's hogwash. It confirms yet again that Romney is not a limited government conservative," said Andy Roth, the vice president for government affairs at the fiscally conservative Club for Growth. "The idea that balancing the budget would not help the economy is crazy. If we balanced the budget tomorrow on spending cuts alone, it would be fantastic for the economy."

More: First Read - Romney: Spending cuts slow economic growth

No intelligent conservative thinks cutting alone works.

Idiot.

So how, specifically, would the 'intelligent' conservative balance the budget from where it is right now, i.e.,

we're borrowing 40% of what we're spending.

Let's hear the high IQ genius conservative plan on that, in detail.

Grow the economy, you idiot. More revenue coming without a tax hike, less expenditures going out. I tried to dumb it down for ya.

Idiot.

So how, specifically, would the 'intelligent' conservative balance the budget from where it is right now, i.e.,

Grow the economy, you idiot. More revenue coming without a tax hike, less expenditures going out. I tried to dumb it down for ya.

What part of specifically and/or in detail didn't you understand?

So let's say you trim the military budget, just in one area, as one example, by ending or canceling a weapons program.

You save billions of dollars. But, say, a thousand people are now out of work because that was their job, building those weapons.

Where do they go to work? How did you grow the economy by cutting spending?

Last edited:
By Pat Garofalo

During an event in Michigan today, GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney — in response to a question about the Simpson-Bowles fiscal commission — admitted that budget cuts slow down economic growth. “If you just cut, if all you’re thinking about doing is cutting spending, why as you cut spending you’ll slow down the economy,” he said.

This, of course, flies in the face of the conservative belief that budget cuts will boost economic growth. And already, conservative activists have attacked his statement. “It’s hogwash. It confirms yet again that Romney is not a limited government conservative,” said Andy Roth of the ultra-conservative Club for Growth. Of course, as we noted last week, data from the real world debunks the GOP’s austerity ideology — and evidently Romney agrees.
Romney: 'If You Just Cut...As You Cut, You'll Slow Down The Economy' | ThinkProgress

Romney Admits Budget Cuts Slow The Economy - YouTube

Umm, Romney is an idiot if he thinks government spending helps the economy. By the way, I loved the delusional assumptions in your link. thanks for the laugh. Can you explain how it claims the stimulus did not work because the states cut their budgets while you simultaneously argue that it ended the recession?

Watching you melt down trying to explain this is going to be fun.

:popcorn:

So let's say you trim the military budget, just in one area, as one example, by ending or canceling a weapons program.

You save billions of dollars. But, say, a thousand people are now out of work because that was their job, building those weapons.

Where do they go to work? How did you grow the economy by cutting spending?

On the other hand, we could eliminate the war on drugs, the various programs that buy military grade weapons and vehicles for small towns, and stop buying ice shavers for people that don't ask for them, or even the ones that do. Or did you assume that the entire defense budget goes to the military?

Idiot.

Where is that extra revenue coming from?

New Topics

Forum List

Back