Rome

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Grace, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Got all the episodes in my netflix..ready for me to start watching since Ive never seen it. Reviews were good..but I thought Id ask y'alls opinion anyway. I also have The Tudors sitting in there as well but decided to go with Rome first.

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    It took a few episodes to get caught up in it, but I became addicted quickly. Good historical perspective and some really nasty infighting and betrayal.

Lots of sex and violence like any good HBO drama

3. Blagger

Blagger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Rome has been the best HBO/BBC collabration so far. I was hooked after the first episode. And as far as I can tell, it's historically accurate. But what's even more interesting, and I've written this before, is that Centurion Lucius Vorenus and Legionary Titus Pullo actually existed. They were mentioned in Ceasar's Bello Gallico. They didn't hold the rank they hold in Rome, they were both Centurions. Ceasar wrote about how Vorenus and Pullo went from bitter rivals to lasting friends in his Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Pullo and Vorenus were fierce rivals for promotion to primus pilus, the most senior centurion in a legion. Both distinguished themselves in 54 BC when the Nervii attacked the legion under Quintus Cicero in their winter quarters in Nervian territory. In an effort to outdo Vorenus, Pullo charged out of the fortified camp and attacked the enemy, but was soon wounded and surrounded. Vorenus followed and engaged his attackers in hand-to-hand combat, killing one and driving the rest back, but lost his footing and was himself soon surrounded. Pullo in turn rescued Vorenus, and after killing several of the enemy, the pair returned to camp amid applause from their comrades.

But after you've watched a couple, tell me this, IMEURU/Grace: would Rome have been half as good if the characters weren't played by British actors and actresses? It's nothing against America, or Canada, even - it's just that for an antiquity-themed show to really convince the audience, the cast have to be Brits.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  4. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    Yes Brits have the best Roman accents....even better than Italians

5. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Thanks for the input. I look forward to starting the longggggggggg sessions of watching it. I loved Spartacus...so Im hoping Rome has the same effect.

Concerning accents of the actors...Ive often wondered why italian accents are not used in those scenarios/locations. Its almost like having Australian accents to play Hawaiian roles, isnt it? lol

6. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    its almost a complete fantasy, like 80% of it, go with the tudors...sorry but there it is.

I'd watch I Claudius , the gold standard if you ask me for Masterpiece theatre, its a bit of fantasy too, but the acting is VERY much superior and it VERY much more historically accurate.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  7. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Tudors will be next, Trajan. But thank you for the input as well. I look forward to seeing them all. Ill begin tonight at 9pm and it could be an all nighter. Dont know yet until I see the first epi.

8. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I have to get the dvds in the mail for Rome...so I went ahead and started The Tudors. Watched up to Episode 3 and quit.
    I know this sounds weird, but I cant watch movies that star people I dislike or feel they dont do a very good job at portraying someone. The actor that played Henry just didnt cut it for me. The actress that played Anne Bohlen made me shudder. Add to the fact it was boring, too many shenanigans all crammed in at once where it was hard to know who was doing what to whom and why...I just couldnt get "in" to it. So.....now I await Rome, Season 1 via snail mail.

9. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Well..yesterday I got my first disc in from netflix. Season 1, epis 1 and 2.
    Im not thrilled. Yet. Ill get another disc in a few days, but if it doesnt "do" something after epi 3 and 4...Im done. Just isnt floating my boat so far. Only actor with true acting skills is the dude with the hole drilled in his head. The rest are like fence posts.

10. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCwGCIKD0Q]YouTube - Magnificent Century - * English Subtitles * - Episode 1[/ame]