Rolling Stones: Top 100 Greatest Voices of All Time

I don't know what the criteria is, really.

Also, there were people who I thought sucked, my entire life. The Beatles, for instance. Then one day the switch would flip, and I'd get what everybody else was so excited about.

Ray Charles is another.

Zappa is never on their guitar list and Marissa Monte is (probably) not on their singer list.

Why pay attention to the clueless?

The first issue of Rolling Stone magazine I ever purchased was from 1990 and contained their list of 100 greatest albums of the 1980's. Conspicuously absent from their list was Rush's Moving Pictures and Pink Floyd's the Wall (yeah, I know it was released in November 1979, but it's definitely an 80's album). To add insult to injury, their number 1 album was the Clash's London Calling. Suffice to say that's also the last issue of Rolling Stone magazine I ever purchased.

Zappa is never on their guitar list and Marissa Monte is (probably) not on their singer list.

Zappa not being on the guitar list is a travesty. I may not be a huge fan, but technically he was an excellent guitarist and overall musician. Really groundbreaking.

The first issue of Rolling Stone magazine I ever purchased was from 1990 and contained their list of 100 greatest albums of the 1980's. Conspicuously absent from their list was Rush's Moving Pictures and Pink Floyd's the Wall (yeah, I know it was released in November 1979, but it's definitely an 80's album). To add insult to injury, their number 1 album was the Clash's London Calling. Suffice to say that's also the last issue of Rolling Stone magazine I ever purchased.

That was a great album.

Zappa not being on the guitar list is a travesty. I may not be a huge fan, but technically he was an excellent guitarist and overall musician. Really groundbreaking.

His anti-drug stance coupled suing Warner for fucking him(and every artist) over insures he's not on any list

Before I even clicked I just knew R.S. would put Aretha #1 with Ray somewhere in the top 5.

My personal fave: Sade Adu. Not even listed.

No, I don't agree. Most of those voices I would not be able to recognize if my life depended on it. But then, I have never been a rock fan so I am limited in that category. I would definitely put Elvis above both Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin and Johnny Cash would be higher as well. Who doesn't recognize the voice of Johnny Cash the moment he speaks?

That being said, the list makes as much sense as anyone else would be able to do.

Immie

Johnny Ramone of the Ramones once said in an interview....."you wanna hear something funny?.....Rolling Stone magazine had me at no 14 on their greatest Guitarist list......they think im a greater Guitarist then Chuck Berry who was no 34.....lol.....and im greater than Blackmore and Iommi!"......and then he shook his head and said what a bunch of shit those people are....

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back