3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

I won't nit-pik the list, but don't ya think Stevie Ray Vaughan should be on the list?
Richards and Townshend, but not Stevie Ray or Carlos Santana? Chuck Berry, but no Robin Trower? Never thought much of Rolling Stone's lists. Now I think even less.

Jimi Hendrix named 'greatest guitar player in history' - Telegraph

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

I won't nit-pik the list, but don't ya think Stevie Ray Vaughan should be on the list?
Richards and Townshend, but not Stevie Ray or Carlos Santana? Chuck Berry, but no Robin Trower? Never thought much of Rolling Stone's lists. Now I think even less.
I'm with you on Santana, but I've never been a big Stevie Ray fan.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8uk7vlk0sE&feature=related]Eric Clapton/JJ Cale-Call Me The Breeze - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OXrmxDp44]Rock Me Baby-BB King/Eric Clapton/Buddy Guy/Jim Vaughn - YouTube[/ame]

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

who would you kick off?............
I said I wasn't going to nit-pik the list.
SRV is hands down the single best guitarist I've seen in person.
I'll admit, I haven't seen all of them in person.

Seen 5 of them in person, even was asked for my autograph by someone who mistook me for one on the list.

Seen 5 of them in person, even was asked for my autograph by someone who mistook me for one on the list.

I'm guessing it wasn't B.B. King. :)

First concert I ever saw was B.B. King. Dad took me to the early early showing at the Catalyst because they'd let 14 year olds in the bar for the early show way back then.

First concert I ever saw was B.B. King. Dad took me to the early early showing at the Catalyst because they'd let 14 year olds in the bar for the early show way back then.
No Not BB or Hendrix either.
About 20 years ago, I walked out of a diner in Rowayton, CT and a guy came running up to me saying, "Mr Clapton,. sir, May I have your autograph.
Clapton owned a house in Stamford at the time and I had met him, so seeing him 10 miles away in Rowayton wouldn't be too hard to imagine.

No Not BB or Hendrix either.
About 20 years ago, I walked out of a diner in Rowayton, CT and a guy came running up to me saying, "Mr Clapton,. sir, May I have your autograph.
Clapton owned a house in Stamford at the time and I had met him, so seeing him 10 miles away in Rowayton wouldn't be too hard to imagine.
Did you sign? :evil:

In a 1984 interview with a British fanzine, Zappa was asked whether he felt underrated as a guitarist. "I think I shouldn't be rated as a guitarist!" he shot back. "Rating guitarists is a stupid hobby. I'm a composer, and my instrument is the guitar. If you like the composition, fine. My technique as a guitar player is fair. There are plenty of people who play faster than I do, never hit a wrong note, and have a lovely sound. If you want to rate guitar players, go for them. But there isn't anybody else who'll take the chances that I will take with a composition onstage in front of an audience, and just go out there and have the nerve, the ultimate audacity to say, 'Okay, I don't know what I'm going to play, and you don't know what I'm going to play, and that makes us equal. So let's go-we'll have an adventure here.' That's what I do. There's no way to rate that. You either like that kind of entertainment or you don't. I'd rather have the ups and downs than the assuredness that I was going to go out there and amaze everybody with technique. I want to hear some music, and the challenge for me is writing an instant composition while I'm playing. That's what I do. I Must say, in all fairness, that without being rated, I know there are people out there who love what I do on guitar."

Forum List

Back