Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke

I already do - as a matter of fact they just passed a tax a a couple weeks ago that raised the price of cigarettes here in Illinois $1.00.......

And people actually don't think under Obamacare the government will start taxing the fuck out of junk food like they tax smokes under the rues that "its bad for your health?"

Just wait until progressives start pushing 1.00 taxes on .99 cent cheeseburgers....

Please post PROOF that President Obama was responsible for you having to pay a buck more for your cigs.

AND/OR

that President Obama has or will tax junk "food".

Heck, for that matter, please post PROOF that he could if he wanted to.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's what progressives DO they TAX......

The simple fucking fact that "junk food" taxes have already been proposed is my proof....

No single legislator is responsible for any tax - its a democratic process. However without question Obama would support such taxes on cigarettes of junk food.

If it matters the shit-stain progressives here in Illinois are responsible for the 1.00 tax hike. You know - they have to keep on paying people with welfare to vote for them so they have to generate revenue somehow....

IOW, what you wrote is not true. Thanks for clearing that up.

I've been rolling my own either at these shops or my own machine for 2 years now. This will double the cost of my bad habits, all because tobacco companies want to squeeze out the little guys and politicians are addicted to the tax dollars.
I'm off to another shop now for tubes and tobacco. In stead of rolling my carton in 3 minutes, I'll roll a pack in 6 or 6 while I watch the tube.
Friggin LIBERALS! you bitch about conservative wanting control over your uterus but have no problem deciding what I can do with my lungs

All women have lungs. Do YOU have a uterus?

Very good point.

AND - I'm not aware of any liberal proposing legislation to control what people do with their lungs. I can't speak for all liberals but all I care about is that I am not forced to smoke other people's cigarettes.

obama didn't close any loophole and roll your own store aren't being taxed. They are shut down.

There's plenty of places to get roll your own where I live.

Never heard of these stores with the machines. Kinda defeats the purpose of "roll your own".

The machines are cheap and easy to get. Same with the tobacco and pre-made empty shapes. You can even buy them with filters attached.

I just did a search and there are plenty of sources.

All this whining is for nothing.

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

Since 2009, RYO stores have been selling cigarettes with far lower taxes than packaged cigarettes.

Why? In 2009, Congress more than doubled the federal excise tax on cigarettes, and, to bring RYO tobacco in line with packaged smokes, raised the tax on RYO tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $24.78 a pound. Yet it raised the tax on pipe tobacco by a far smaller amount — from $1.10 to $2.83 a pound.

And RYO stores popped up across the country.

Since the 2009 tax increases, Congress’ Government Accountability Office says RYO tobacco sales have fallen 74 percent while pipe tobacco sales have exploded, jumping from 3.2 million pounds to 30.5 million pounds a year, according to government reports.

The GAO concluded the increase was due to consumers switching to pipe tobacco for their machine rolled cigarettes and not to a sudden jump in pipe smoking.

The GAO found that a carton of RYO cigarettes cost half as much, or even less, than a carton of discount cigarettes at a store because of the lower taxes.

Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke - Chicago Sun-Times

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

Yes, and we all know how federal highways and tobacco go hand in hand, unlike say --- federal highways and automobiles.

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

Since 2009, RYO stores have been selling cigarettes with far lower taxes than packaged cigarettes.

Why? In 2009, Congress more than doubled the federal excise tax on cigarettes, and, to bring RYO tobacco in line with packaged smokes, raised the tax on RYO tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $24.78 a pound. Yet it raised the tax on pipe tobacco by a far smaller amount — from $1.10 to $2.83 a pound.

And RYO stores popped up across the country.

Since the 2009 tax increases, Congress’ Government Accountability Office says RYO tobacco sales have fallen 74 percent while pipe tobacco sales have exploded, jumping from 3.2 million pounds to 30.5 million pounds a year, according to government reports.

The GAO concluded the increase was due to consumers switching to pipe tobacco for their machine rolled cigarettes and not to a sudden jump in pipe smoking.

The GAO found that a carton of RYO cigarettes cost half as much, or even less, than a carton of discount cigarettes at a store because of the lower taxes.

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

Yes, and we all know how federal highways and tobacco go hand in hand, unlike say --- federal highways and automobiles.

In the language of the Constitution, an excise is different from a tax.

the Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises

At any rate, the excise tax on tobacco isn't a tax on the middle class, its a tax on tobacco.

... And I s'pose all you rw's are dead set against financial responsibility so the rest of us don't have to pay smoker's medical bills.

the Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises

At any rate, the excise tax on tobacco isn't a tax on the middle class, its a tax on tobacco.
Bwahahahahahaha
Make up your mind. Is it a tax or not?

Bwahahahahahaha
Make up your mind. Is it a tax or not?

Forum List

Back