Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke

Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke - Chicago Sun-Times

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

I already do - as a matter of fact they just passed a tax a a couple weeks ago that raised the price of cigarettes here in Illinois $1.00.......

And people actually don't think under Obamacare the government will start taxing the fuck out of junk food like they tax smokes under the rues that "its bad for your health?"

Just wait until progressives start pushing 1.00 taxes on .99 cent cheeseburgers....

Please post PROOF that President Obama was responsible for you having to pay a buck more for your cigs.

AND/OR

that President Obama has or will tax junk "food".

Heck, for that matter, please post PROOF that he could if he wanted to.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's what progressives DO they TAX......

The simple fucking fact that "junk food" taxes have already been proposed is my proof....

No single legislator is responsible for any tax - its a democratic process. However without question Obama would support such taxes on cigarettes of junk food.

If it matters the shit-stain progressives here in Illinois are responsible for the 1.00 tax hike. You know - they have to keep on paying people with welfare to vote for them so they have to generate revenue somehow....

[...]

I don't encourage smoking. BUT, it is a LEGAL product in the United States and the government can't have it both ways. Either BAN the damn stuff or leave it alone!

Stop trying to tax it out of buiness, because you don't have the courage to ban it, and at the same time kill small business like tobacco shops and the like.
Courage has nothing to do with it.

If the rising cost of cigarettes hasn't already fostered another trafficking syndicate it won't be long before it does -- and that is what our legislators are eagerly looking forward to. Enforcing substance laws is big business and the more money flowing up the graft pipeline the better.

By the way, when is the next season of Boardwalk Empire due?

Wouldn't bother me a bit if they made fast food healthier. The corporations don't do anything like that on their own...The inner city could use some grocery stores, as well as everything else after 30 years of voodoo for the rich...

Seems like you could use some Indian reservations- 1/4 the price for Senecas...

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

Since 2009, RYO stores have been selling cigarettes with far lower taxes than packaged cigarettes.

Why? In 2009, Congress more than doubled the federal excise tax on cigarettes, and, to bring RYO tobacco in line with packaged smokes, raised the tax on RYO tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $24.78 a pound. Yet it raised the tax on pipe tobacco by a far smaller amount — from $1.10 to $2.83 a pound.

And RYO stores popped up across the country.

Since the 2009 tax increases, Congress’ Government Accountability Office says RYO tobacco sales have fallen 74 percent while pipe tobacco sales have exploded, jumping from 3.2 million pounds to 30.5 million pounds a year, according to government reports.

The GAO concluded the increase was due to consumers switching to pipe tobacco for their machine rolled cigarettes and not to a sudden jump in pipe smoking.

The GAO found that a carton of RYO cigarettes cost half as much, or even less, than a carton of discount cigarettes at a store because of the lower taxes.

Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke - Chicago Sun-Times

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

I drove past the one by my house this morning, it was empty. It opened about a year ago and usually had a good crowd, especially on Saturdays. Looks like it will be gone soon.

I've been rolling my own either at these shops or my own machine for 2 years now. This will double the cost of my bad habits, all because tobacco companies want to squeeze out the little guys and politicians are addicted to the tax dollars.
I'm off to another shop now for tubes and tobacco. In stead of rolling my carton in 3 minutes, I'll roll a pack in 6 or 6 while I watch the tube.
Friggin LIBERALS! you bitch about conservative wanting control over your uterus but have no problem deciding what I can do with my lungs

All women have lungs. Do YOU have a uterus?

In the world of liberal equality food sanitation is the same as someone openly smoking.
Why should big government tell business how best to keep their restaurants sanitary? You honestly think a government pinhead knows better than a restaurant owner or manager?

Actually, yes. Why do I say that? Because for a while after I retired from the military, I worked in 3 restaraunts as a short order cook. The first one I worked at (Boondocks) had an owner who knew the regs, and enforced them quite stringently. Every time we were inspected, if we didn't get excellent or outstanding, there was hell to pay.

Second place I worked at was at a place called Jaguars, and the manager there knew NOTHING about food sanitation or safety. I had to work my ass off for the first 2 days that I started there because the place was such a shithole, as the last cook didn't really care about what they served. If there had been an inspection done while I was trying to get the kitchen together? We'd have failed miserably and probably have been shut down.

Last place I worked at was a burger joint called Moose's, and although the owner had a good background in restaraunt management, but he was rarely there, and left the handling of stuff to his wife (who didn't know as much as her husband or myself).

So yeah..................regulations for restaraunt management are needed and need to be enforced.

Unless..................of course............you actually LIKE going to the hospital with food poisoning. Temperature, cross contamination and cleanliness are things that are pretty standard across the board and CAN be codified so that bureaucrats can inspect properly.

Try again.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if they made fast food healthier. The corporations don't do anything like that on their own...The inner city could use some grocery stores, as well as everything else after 30 years of voodoo for the rich...

No the government has no goddamn right telling people how to run a business or what people can or cant ingest....

If you don't want to eat it don't eat it - eat whatever the hell you want. It's not my business nor is it the governments.

Personally I don't eat much fast food other than Chicago style deep dish pizza or Italian beefs or pasta from real authentic Italian restaurants.... But if I wanted to have a Big Mac a day - that is my business - not the governments, and I nor the provider should be penalized for my personal choices. But that is exactly what the government wants to do and they will do so using "unnecessary health care costs" to do it.

The inner city could use some grocery stores,.

Nobody feels like opening one and getting robbed and/or shot every other week.

That is one of the bigger problems in the inner city minority communities. Its not 1960 anymore where morals and ethics played a role in the majority of peoples lives. No - today its "take whatever you can get for free" - even if it means robbing a small business owner in your community.

That's why if you drive through an inner city ghetto all the stores have bars, steel screens or pull down (garage doors) that cover their shops. Not to mention 9/10 stores have 3-inch bullet proof glass at the checkout.....

No the government has no goddamn right telling people how to run a business or what people can or cant ingest....

If you don't want to eat it don't eat it - eat whatever the hell you want. It's not my business nor is it the governments.

Personally I don't eat much fast food other than Chicago style deep dish pizza or Italian beefs or pasta from real authentic Italian restaurants.... But if I wanted to have a Big Mac a day - that is my business - not the governments, and I nor the provider should be penalized for my personal choices. But that is exactly what the government wants to do and they will do so using "unnecessary health care costs" to do it.

"No the government has no goddamn right telling people how to run a business or what people can or cant ingest...."

Then why the right wing war on drugs?

"No the government has no goddamn right telling people how to run a business or what people can or cant ingest...."

As a libertarian I'm opposed to that too. I think it does more harm than good.

It's not like people who don't use drugs will jump out their seat and start using them if they were legal...

I wonder how it is they reconcile passing a healthcare tax yet do nothing to shut down tobacco sales in this country?

I guess some subsidies by liberals are okay as long as they are paying the bills, eh?

The left is all in on that disaster too, hackasaurus rex.

Yeah, um... They were already paying taxes, just not as high as the pre-packaged smokes. So no loophole was closed, They were just put into a different category of product.

Right, there was no loophole, because there was an exception created. Got it!

The exception has existed for decades. Loose tobacco, rolling papers, and similar paraphernalia for making cigarettes have always been taxed differently than manufactured cigarettes.

Has the loophole existed for decades, or has it always existed? Make up your mind.

"It saves me time...

How the fuck does it save you TIME, lady? A carton of pre-rolled smokes can be bought at most an convenience store.
and money, and in the end I feel better because I don't get all of the chemicals that the other cigarettes have,"

LOL! Roll your own tobacco makes you "feel better"? Its a good thing they aren't raising the tax on stupidity!

Bawden said. "With the brand-name cigarettes, we pay for the chemicals and the name, and I don't want any of that, so I don't even know what I'll do when the shop closes down."

I've got a suggestion. QUIT.

Rolling a carton of cigarettes by hand can take one person up to three hours."

Yeah. Wouldn't want people who buy "roll your own" tobacco to have to roll their own - the travesty.

Roll-your-own cigarette operations to be snuffed out - Business - ReviewJournal.com

Last edited:
Don't blink but soon they'll be shutting down or handcuffing fast food companies, soda companies, junk food companies, etc across the nation in the name of saving taxpayer money for Obamacare "costs."

Everyone should eat healthy will be the salespitch so $8 Big Macs after taxes will be the way to quell your hunger for a Big Mac.

They've started in NYC with their attack on fast food and soda.

I've noticed a lot of healthier food popping up in the restaurants. In Denny's now, you can get veggie sticks and dip or fruit instead of fries with your burger...on the Ferry, you could buy little things of veggies or fruit and cheese instead of buying their crappy burgers or hotdogs. Applebees has started serving weight watchers meals... I kind of like it, but even when watching my weight I still have a lot of weight to watch. I'm not in agreement with taxing fast foods, but I have no problems with a taxbreak for places that sell healthier foods.

The government giving tax breaks to places that sell healthier foods is just as wrong as the government imposing taxes on those that sell fast food. The tax system should not be used to try to influence societal behavior. The tax system should be used only to provide exactly the amount that government needs to fulfill the duties given to it by the constitution,

Don't blink but soon they'll be shutting down or handcuffing fast food companies, soda companies, junk food companies, etc across the nation in the name of saving taxpayer money for Obamacare "costs."

Everyone should eat healthy will be the salespitch so $8 Big Macs after taxes will be the way to quell your hunger for a Big Mac.

I've noticed a lot of healthier food popping up in the restaurants. In Denny's now, you can get veggie sticks and dip or fruit instead of fries with your burger...on the Ferry, you could buy little things of veggies or fruit and cheese instead of buying their crappy burgers or hotdogs. Applebees has started serving weight watchers meals... I kind of like it, but even when watching my weight I still have a lot of weight to watch. I'm not in agreement with taxing fast foods, but I have no problems with a taxbreak for places that sell healthier foods.

The government giving tax breaks to places that sell healthier foods is just as wrong as the government imposing taxes on those that sell fast food. The tax system should not be used to try to influence societal behavior. The tax system should be used only to provide exactly the amount that government needs to fulfill the duties given to it by the constitution,

Exactly. Taxing IS being used to modify behaviour...Social manipulation...

The government giving tax breaks to places that sell healthier foods is just as wrong as the government imposing taxes on those that sell fast food. The tax system should not be used to try to influence societal behavior.
Its only wrong if the tax is imposed without consent from the governed.

The tax system should be used only to provide exactly the amount that government needs to fulfill the duties given to it by the constitution,
The Constitution gives Congress specific power.. It has the power to impose an excise tax. See:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Name a single excise tax that cannot be construed as punishing the use of a particular product or service.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back