Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke

See what I mean HUGGY.... it is your side of the aisle that likes these STUPID smoking regulations.... NOT CON$

Its actually local government that regulates smoking in public spaces. But hey, who can trust local government, right? Fuck em. People shouldn't be allowed to govern themselves.

ITS STILL GOVERNMENT and YES.... People should be allowed to govern themselves. (of the people and by the people)

We are not cattle.

Funny I didn't know cattle got to vote and eat at sit down restaurants.

I touched on this in one of the unemployment threads yesterday.

While number of people losing their jobs because of this is relatively small, I imagine it is of little consequence to them.

I also found this intriguing:

"The man who pushed for this bill is Sen. (Max) Baucus from Montana, and he received donations from Altria, a parent company of Philip Morris. Interestingly enough, there are also no RYO machines in the state of Montana. It really makes me question the morals and values of our elected speakers."

Why something like this was buried in a transportation bill is beyond me...

Of course I am no fan of the tactic of sticking little amendments onto bills, especially amendments that have absolutely nothing to do with the bill in question. It a sneaky practice I think should be abolished.

thae fact that hidden crap is in bills is infuriating to me. I have always been an advocate that a Bill stands on it's own merit and NO RIDERS attached. it's one huge reason WE arein so much trouble, and Government has run amok. :mad:

Awesome, OBama closed a tax loophole.

Right wingers want the loopholes closed, right?

BTW - most of the stores that people get roll-your-own tobacco from make most of their income from selling bongs

Yeah, um... They were already paying taxes, just not as high as the pre-packaged smokes. So no loophole was closed, They were just put into a different category of product.

Right, there was no loophole, because there was an exception created. Got it!

The exception has existed for decades. Loose tobacco, rolling papers, and similar paraphernalia for making cigarettes have always been taxed differently than manufactured cigarettes.

obama didn't close any loophole and roll your own store aren't being taxed. They are shut down. Now if you really want to draw a parallel, it's a strech but using liberal comparasons it can be done. If some restaurants have rats in the kitchen, all restaurants should be closed to prevent rats in the kitchens of some restaurants.

No loophole was closed. The stores are closed. Meaning whatever sales tax they did generate is now gone permanently and completely.

obama didn't close any loophole and roll your own store aren't being taxed. They are shut down. Now if you really want to draw a parallel, it's a strech but using liberal comparasons it can be done. If some restaurants have rats in the kitchen, all restaurants should be closed to prevent rats in the kitchens of some restaurants.

No loophole was closed. The stores are closed. Meaning whatever sales tax they did generate is now gone permanently and completely.

Typical of Statist 'good intentions'.

Actually, as I understand it, it is the new higher tax that is forcing them to close.

Actually, as I understand it, it is the new higher tax that is forcing them to close.

It looks like it is a bit more than that.

But a few paragraphs added to the transportation bill changed the definition of a cigarette manufacturer to cover thousands of roll-your-own operations nationwide. The move, backed by major tobacco companies, is aimed at boosting tax revenues.

Faced with regulation costs that could run to hundreds of thousands of dollars, RYO machine owners nationwide are shutting down more than 1,000 of the $36,000 machines.

Not only taxes, but new regulations as well. Taxes would just be passed along to the end consumer as any other tax is. It's regulations that make businesses just close.

To my knowledge it is still legal to grow as much tobacco as one wishes for "personal" use:

Grow your own Tobacco

The Seedman, Grow your own tobacco

Tobacco Seeds From Around the World

Growing Your Tobacco Seeds from Plantation House

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/How-Grow-Your-Own-Tobacco/dp/1591864887]Amazon.com: How to Grow Your Own Tobacco: From Seed to Smoke (9781591864882): Ray French: Books[/ame]

Growing Tobacco | Growing Tobacco at Home is Easy

Tobacco Growing and Curing at Home.

Grow-Your-Own Tobacco Business - YouTube

The tax was put on to take care of big tobacco as if they don't make enough money killing people. Just like Obama did with obamacare by taking care of the drug companies he must be getting some really large donations from the tobacco industry giants.

This isn't about taxing something, it's about obama burying someone in an unrelated bill and signing it into law.

Obama is not the one who buried this in the bill, the Congress did and the Republicans are just as responsible for its passage. They do control the House after all.

How about we put the blame where it rightfully goes?

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

Since 2009, RYO stores have been selling cigarettes with far lower taxes than packaged cigarettes.

Why? In 2009, Congress more than doubled the federal excise tax on cigarettes, and, to bring RYO tobacco in line with packaged smokes, raised the tax on RYO tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $24.78 a pound. Yet it raised the tax on pipe tobacco by a far smaller amount — from $1.10 to $2.83 a pound.

And RYO stores popped up across the country.

Since the 2009 tax increases, Congress’ Government Accountability Office says RYO tobacco sales have fallen 74 percent while pipe tobacco sales have exploded, jumping from 3.2 million pounds to 30.5 million pounds a year, according to government reports.

The GAO concluded the increase was due to consumers switching to pipe tobacco for their machine rolled cigarettes and not to a sudden jump in pipe smoking.

The GAO found that a carton of RYO cigarettes cost half as much, or even less, than a carton of discount cigarettes at a store because of the lower taxes.

Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke - Chicago Sun-Times

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

I already do - as a matter of fact they just passed a tax a a couple weeks ago that raised the price of cigarettes here in Illinois $1.00.......

And people actually don't think under Obamacare the government will start taxing the fuck out of junk food like they tax smokes under the rues that "its bad for your health?"

Just wait until progressives start pushing 1.00 taxes on .99 cent cheeseburgers....

Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

The move comes a month after Illinois increased taxes on such roll-your-own machine-made cigarettes.

Marcia Smith, 47, of Lake County, decided after the state tax increase that she should move her Smokes & Such tobacco shops in Skokie and Gurnee to Wisconsin, where taxes on rolled cigarettes are lower.
If Obama signs the law, she said she’ll shut her doors.

The machines, which cost about $33,000 each, allow customers to pick their own tobacco and pour it into a device that can roll the tobacco into a carton, or about 200 cigarettes, within minutes.

Valenti opened three Cig tobacco stores about a year ago to supplement his work as an independent construction contractor.

He operated two stores in Chicago and one in Worth but closed down one of his stores and moved two shortly before Cook County raised RYO taxes. Now, the issue has followed him out to the suburbs, where he lives and co-owns stores in west suburban Westmont in DuPage County and Mokena in Will County.

“They’re basically making us follow the same regulations as big tobacco,” Valenti said, “But [we can’t] reap the same rewards.”

Valenti calls it a “killing” of small businesses and said closing his stores means his 21 employees lose their jobs.

Say what you like about smoking, it's legal in this country, and this is another example of Obama KILLING another small business in what TWO DEMOCRATS ARE ALREADY ADMITTING IS A DEPRESSION (Biden and Waxman).

Liberals will applaud this, because they are big time nannies who think "the government should get out of the bed room" but just be in EVERY OTHER CHOICE WE MAKE IN OUR LIVES INCLUDING NOW OUR HEALTHCARE! Hypocrites!

I don't smoke. I have never smoked. My husband (Thank God) quit seven years ago, after smoking was killing him with asthma (which he developed from smoking)

I don't encourage smoking. BUT, it is a LEGAL product in the United States and the government can't have it both ways. Either BAN the damn stuff or leave it alone!

Stop trying to tax it out of buiness, because you don't have the courage to ban it, and at the same time kill small business like tobacco shops and the like.

Your post is bull shit but ...

The "ryo" fad is very popular among young, new smokers because its cheaper than the Marlboro's that actually profit from the it.

Obama is not the one who buried this in the bill, the Congress did and the Republicans are just as responsible for its passage. They do control the House after all.

How about we put the blame where it rightfully goes?

The president did not pull this out of thin air. CONGRESS passed it and sent it to the prez for his signature. You rabid anti-American rw's need to learn how our government works.

Until that happens and believe me, I'm not holding my breath!, anything that slows or stops young people from starting to smoke is, IMO, a good idea.

You might also think about this the next time you're screeching about poor people using their assistance money to buy ryo or pre-rolled cigs.

IOW, I wish you would pick a side and stay there instead of flip-flopping every damn day.

Oh hell, what am I saying - you'll all be voting for Mr Etch A Sketch.

In the world of liberal equality food sanitation is the same as someone openly smoking.

This isn't about taxing something, it's about obama burying someone in an unrelated bill and signing it into law. Since the Nevada UE rate is ONLY over 11%, they shouldn't even mind another few unemployed people. The more the merrier.

Trey reading the article before making an ignorant asshole of yourself. Obama did no such thing. Obama had nothing to do with crafting the bill.

Since 2009, RYO stores have been selling cigarettes with far lower taxes than packaged cigarettes.

Why? In 2009, Congress more than doubled the federal excise tax on cigarettes, and, to bring RYO tobacco in line with packaged smokes, raised the tax on RYO tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $24.78 a pound. Yet it raised the tax on pipe tobacco by a far smaller amount — from $1.10 to $2.83 a pound.

And RYO stores popped up across the country.

Since the 2009 tax increases, Congress’ Government Accountability Office says RYO tobacco sales have fallen 74 percent while pipe tobacco sales have exploded, jumping from 3.2 million pounds to 30.5 million pounds a year, according to government reports.

The GAO concluded the increase was due to consumers switching to pipe tobacco for their machine rolled cigarettes and not to a sudden jump in pipe smoking.

The GAO found that a carton of RYO cigarettes cost half as much, or even less, than a carton of discount cigarettes at a store because of the lower taxes.

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

I already do - as a matter of fact they just passed a tax a a couple weeks ago that raised the price of cigarettes here in Illinois $1.00.......

And people actually don't think under Obamacare the government will start taxing the fuck out of junk food like they tax smokes under the rues that "its bad for your health?"

Just wait until progressives start pushing 1.00 taxes on .99 cent cheeseburgers....

Please post PROOF that President Obama was responsible for you having to pay a buck more for your cigs.

AND/OR

that President Obama has or will tax junk "food".

Heck, for that matter, please post PROOF that he could if he wanted to.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Forum List

Back