Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke

Both of you (first two posts)are idiots. Even the article is disengenuous. The ammendment was backed by the tobacco companies.. In the article it said that the tobacco companies did so to increase taxes. What a lying little slice of shit THAT is. Rolling your own saved smokers money that the tobacco companies wanted to pocket... that's all.. it has NOTHING to do with taxes...at least nothing concerning the tobacco companies.

The reason why Obama will sign this into law is that this is they way legislation is made. Are you suggesting that a major bill is held up or not signed because of the harm done to this very UNPOPULAR industry. Most people do not smoke at all. If you were so concerned about the rights of smokers there would be no smoking bans in bars and many cities thruout the country.

The hypocracy in this thread is suffocating.

I'm against smoking bans in restaurants, bars, outdoors, etc. It should be up to the business owner to decide whether to permit it in their business or not. Enough people complain the business will go no smoking; not many complaints it stays. No, I don't smoke and always found it gross when eating out and the smoke drifted from the 'non smoking section' into my mouth and yet I strongly believe it should be up to the business owners to make this decision.

:smoke:

It should be up to the business owner to decide whether or not to allow rats to hang out in the kitchen, too, right? Maybe we can let the business owner decide whether or not to put spoiled meat into your dish, as well? When you die from food poisoning the free market will close the restaurant and bring you back to life, right? Maybe we can let the business owner set his own fire and electric codes, too.

Last edited:
Both of you (first two posts)are idiots. Even the article is disengenuous. The ammendment was backed by the tobacco companies.. In the article it said that the tobacco companies did so to increase taxes. What a lying little slice of shit THAT is. Rolling your own saved smokers money that the tobacco companies wanted to pocket... that's all.. it has NOTHING to do with taxes...at least nothing concerning the tobacco companies.

The reason why Obama will sign this into law is that this is they way legislation is made. Are you suggesting that a major bill is held up or not signed because of the harm done to this very UNPOPULAR industry. Most people do not smoke at all. If you were so concerned about the rights of smokers there would be no smoking bans in bars and many cities thruout the country.

I'm against smoking bans in restaurants, bars, outdoors, etc. It should be up to the business owner to decide whether to permit it in their business or not. Enough people complain the business will go no smoking; not many complaints it stays. No, I don't smoke and always found it gross when eating out and the smoke drifted from the 'non smoking section' into my mouth and yet I strongly believe it should be up to the business owners to make this decision.

It should be up to the business owner to decide whether or not to allow rats to hang out in the kitchen, too, right? Maybe we can let the business owner decide whether or not to put spoiled meat into your dish, as well? When you die from food poisoning the free market will close the restaurant and bring you back to life, right? Maybe we can let the business owner set his own fire and electric codes, too.
Total hyperbolic bullshit comparisons.

Smoking customers -which is a completely legal activity- isn't even on the same planet as food service sanitation.

I'm disappointed. I wish Obama would make it easier for triple sizers and smokers to get access to their drugs of choice. I am pragmatic, since I realize that these pigs can just pay a chump change tax and get back in the insurance system and reasonably treated for their stupidity.

Your the lying hypcrite HUGGY.... I know in Houston the con$ were just as pissed as anybody else about the smoking bans.
If a business owner didnt mind smoking in his establishment, it should be just fine... cigs
are legal after all.

Im sick of gov't trying to tax us into being healthy.

Total hyperbolic bullshit comparisons.

Smoking customers -which is a completely legal activity- isn't even on the same planet as food service sanitation.

Its not legal if there's a law against it, genius.

Last edited:

See what I mean HUGGY.... it is your side of the aisle that likes these STUPID smoking regulations.... NOT CON$

Your the lying hypcrite HUGGY.... I know in Houston the con$ were just as pissed as anybody else about the smoking bans.
If a business owner didnt mind smoking in his establishment, it should be just fine... cigs
are legal after all.

It will happen more and more as government becomes more and more responsible for our health care. Right now with older American's getting cancer from things like trans fats and tobacco product the government has a vested interest to make those behaviors difficult- medicare and medicaid costs need to be constrained.

In the world of liberal equality food sanitation is the same as someone openly smoking.

This isn't about taxing something, it's about obama burying someone in an unrelated bill and signing it into law. Since the Nevada UE rate is ONLY over 11%, they shouldn't even mind another few unemployed people. The more the merrier.

See what I mean HUGGY.... it is your side of the aisle that likes these STUPID smoking regulations.... NOT CON$

Its actually local government that regulates smoking in public spaces. But hey, who can trust local government, right? Fuck em. People shouldn't be allowed to govern themselves.

Its actually local government that regulates smoking in public spaces. But hey, who can trust local government, right? Fuck em. People shouldn't be allowed to govern themselves.

ITS STILL GOVERNMENT and YES.... People should be allowed to govern themselves. (of the people and by the people)

We are not cattle.

Last edited:
Don't blink but soon they'll be shutting down or handcuffing fast food companies, soda companies, junk food companies, etc across the nation in the name of saving taxpayer money for Obamacare "costs."

Everyone should eat healthy will be the salespitch so $8 Big Macs after taxes will be the way to quell your hunger for a Big Mac.

They've started in NYC with their attack on fast food and soda.

I've noticed a lot of healthier food popping up in the restaurants. In Denny's now, you can get veggie sticks and dip or fruit instead of fries with your burger...on the Ferry, you could buy little things of veggies or fruit and cheese instead of buying their crappy burgers or hotdogs. Applebees has started serving weight watchers meals... I kind of like it, but even when watching my weight I still have a lot of weight to watch. I'm not in agreement with taxing fast foods, but I have no problems with a taxbreak for places that sell healthier foods.

ITS STILL GOVERNMENT and YES.... People shouldn't be allowed to govern themselves. (of the people and by the people)

We are not cattle.

What was it Book said on Firefly? "government is made up of people, almost always, notably, ungoverned."

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

Since 2009, RYO stores have been selling cigarettes with far lower taxes than packaged cigarettes.

Why? In 2009, Congress more than doubled the federal excise tax on cigarettes, and, to bring RYO tobacco in line with packaged smokes, raised the tax on RYO tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $24.78 a pound. Yet it raised the tax on pipe tobacco by a far smaller amount — from $1.10 to $2.83 a pound.

And RYO stores popped up across the country.

Since the 2009 tax increases, Congress’ Government Accountability Office says RYO tobacco sales have fallen 74 percent while pipe tobacco sales have exploded, jumping from 3.2 million pounds to 30.5 million pounds a year, according to government reports.

The GAO concluded the increase was due to consumers switching to pipe tobacco for their machine rolled cigarettes and not to a sudden jump in pipe smoking.

The GAO found that a carton of RYO cigarettes cost half as much, or even less, than a carton of discount cigarettes at a store because of the lower taxes.

Roll-your-own cigarette stores going up in smoke - Chicago Sun-Times

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

Awesome, OBama closed a tax loophole.

Right wingers want the loopholes closed, right?

BTW - most of the stores that people get roll-your-own tobacco from make most of their income from selling bongs

Always watching out for big business interests, aren't you. Screw the small business man. I'm sure Phillip morris is happy to have your support on this issue.

ITS STILL GOVERNMENT and YES.... People shouldn't be allowed to govern themselves. (of the people and by the people)

We are not cattle.

Got it

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

Since 2009, RYO stores have been selling cigarettes with far lower taxes than packaged cigarettes.

Why? In 2009, Congress more than doubled the federal excise tax on cigarettes, and, to bring RYO tobacco in line with packaged smokes, raised the tax on RYO tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $24.78 a pound. Yet it raised the tax on pipe tobacco by a far smaller amount — from $1.10 to $2.83 a pound.

And RYO stores popped up across the country.

Since the 2009 tax increases, Congress’ Government Accountability Office says RYO tobacco sales have fallen 74 percent while pipe tobacco sales have exploded, jumping from 3.2 million pounds to 30.5 million pounds a year, according to government reports.

The GAO concluded the increase was due to consumers switching to pipe tobacco for their machine rolled cigarettes and not to a sudden jump in pipe smoking.

The GAO found that a carton of RYO cigarettes cost half as much, or even less, than a carton of discount cigarettes at a store because of the lower taxes.

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." - Barack Obama

BTW - most of the stores that people get roll-your-own tobacco from make most of their income from selling bongs

Yeah, um... They were already paying taxes, just not as high as the pre-packaged smokes. So no loophole was closed, They were just put into a different category of product.

Always watching out for big business interests, aren't you. Screw the small business man. I'm sure Phillip morris is happy to have your support on this issue.

So now roll your own manufacturers like Imperial Tobacco and RJ Reynolds are "small business" ?

OK!

Last edited:

Yeah, um... They were already paying taxes, just not as high as the pre-packaged smokes. So no loophole was closed, They were just put into a different category of product.

Right, there was no loophole, because there was an exception created. Got it!

are legal after all.

It will happen more and more as government becomes more and more responsible for our health care. Right now with older American's getting cancer from things like trans fats and tobacco product the government has a vested interest to make those behaviors difficult- medicare and medicaid costs need to be constrained.

The government is moving from protective to overprotective to control costs. It's like the mother who wants to stand next to her kid in school to make sure he sits up straight. When told how stupid this is, she says "Should I let him play in the middle of the freeway too?"

This is the manifestion of Tocqueville's vision of administrative depostism.

Above this race of men stands an immense and tutelary power, which takes upon itself alone to secure their gratifications and to watch over their fate. That power is absolute, minute, regular, provident, and mild. It would be like the authority of a parent if, like that authority, its object was to prepare men for manhood; but it seeks, on the contrary, to keep them in perpetual childhood: it is well content that the people should rejoice, provided they think of nothing but rejoicing. For their happiness such a government willingly labors, but it chooses to be the sole agent and the only arbiter of that happiness; it provides for their security, foresees and supplies their necessities, facilitates their pleasures, manages their principal concerns, directs their industry, regulates the descent of property, and subdivides their inheritances: what remains, but to spare them all the care of thinking and all the trouble of living?

Thus it every day renders the exercise of the free agency of man less useful and less frequent; it circumscribes the will within a narrower range and gradually robs a man of all the uses of himself. The principle of equality has prepared men for these things;it has predisposed men to endure them and often to look on them as benefits.

After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the supreme power then extends its arm over the whole community. It covers the surface of society with a network of small complicated rules, minute and uniform, through which the most original minds and the most energetic characters cannot penetrate, to rise above the crowd. The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided; men are seldom forced by it to act, but they are constantly restrained from acting. Such a power does not destroy, but it prevents existence; it does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd.

That's what liberals want.

Forum List

Back