Roger Waters Refuses to be Another Brick in Israel’s Wall

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by eots, Sep 20, 2008.

1. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    Roger Waters Refuses to be Another Brick in Israel’s Wall
    Posted by Haitham Sabbah on 20 April, 200613 CommentsThis item was filled under [ Breaking News, Good News, Israel, Music, Palestine, Peace ]
    Why do I love Roger Waters? Why do I respect him more now…

Update: Roger Waters has moved his summer concert from Tel Aviv to the joint Jewish-Arab village of Neve Shalom.

PACBI April 18, 2006

Ramallah — Reiterating his opposition to the Israeli occupation and expressing his support for the Palestinian people in ?their struggle to be free,? the internationally renowned rock star Roger Waters has announced that he is relocating his Israel performance in recognition of the problematic nature of the previously planned Tel Aviv venue, particularly at a time when Israel is escalating its repression and apartheid designs to further dispossess, ghettoize and ultimately ethnically cleanse Palestinians from their homeland. The former member of Pink Floyd and the writer of its timeless song ?Another Brick in the Wall? called off his Tel Aviv gig, heeding an appeal by many Palestinian artists and cultural organizations and their supporters around the world who feared such a performance, particularly by a respected and progressive artist like Waters, would have given legitimacy to Israel?s colonial Wall, condemned as illegal by the International Court of Justice at The Hague in July 2004.

Supporting the Palestinian letter to Waters, a group of Israeli refuseniks (conscientious objectors to service in the occupation army) also appealed to Waters to either cancel the Tel Aviv show or dedicate it explicitly to the struggle against Israel?s military occupation.

Waters has been unswerving in his condemnation of Israel?s Wall, which he blames for inflicting poverty and devastation upon the Palestinians in the Occupied Territory. In his press statement announcing this telling change of venue, Waters writes: ?The suffering endured by the Palestinian people during the Israeli occupation of the last 40 years is unimaginable to us living in the west and I support them in their struggle to be free. I have moved the concert to Neve Shalom/Wahat al Salam as a gesture of solidarity with those voices of reason, both Palestinian and Israeli, that seek a non-violent route to a just peace.?

By calling off the Tel Aviv gig, Roger Waters has reconfirmed his commitment to freedom, equality and peace based on justice. Indeed, Waters?s moral compass has proven to be not only live but pointing in the right direction as well.

Reacting to the news, Palestinian civil society has warmly saluted Roger Waters for his courage and for his valuable contribution to bringing down all walls of oppression and subjugation, Israel?s Wall of shame included.

The Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI) : PACBI - Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel * Email: info@boycottisrael.ps

Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Y'know, back in the day of long hair and smokin' weed, Pink Floyd was one of my favorite groups. I STILL like their older "albums."

Roger Waters is an egomaniacal idiot who not only thinks his shit doesn't stink, but apparently, based on his political reasoning, also doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Oh i dunno.. I'd say his stand against israel is on par with boycotting South Africa in the 80s.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Probably why their popularity waned in the late 80s. I listen to music to be entertained. If I want to be educated on politics, I'll find something political.

I had the same bitch with the Dixie Chicks. I liked their music. They voiced their political opinions and they screwed themselves. They STILL get no air around here and nobody buys their stuff, and this is home turf for them.

If I pay to hear you play and sing, if you want my money, better stick to it.

5. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    i dont know if i'd say they screwed themselves at all. They are still three wildly talented gals who are still more popular that the RIGHT BROTHERS...

As far as the floyd.. well, by the 80s they were done anyway. Where else can a band go after giving us DSOTM and The Wall? I don't think their music was particularly political... Hell, if anything Money is a capitalists wet dream soundtrack. But I am glad to see Waters take a consistent stance as when it was posh to boycott south africa.

6. NumberFour

NumberFour Uzi does it

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the beginning of the article is purely the interpretation of the "Palestinian" writer:
    "Reiterating his opposition to occupation"?
    "Their struggle to be free"?

That's how the "Palestinian" writer sees it... or would like to portray it for everyone else reading, to make it look like the rock legend has chosen a side.

I donno if you know this, but Pink Floyd have sampled Israeli movies for their songs back in the 60s/70s. And when one of the Pink Floyders came last year (or was it 2 years ago?) to the walled part of the separation fence, he wrote a very vague graffiti on it "no to mind control" or something like that, which was in my opinion a very deliberate attempt not to take sides.

I know the "Palestinians" desperately want world recognition of their genocidal wishes, but Waters would have to be more specific if he really is pro "Palestine".

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  7. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I love how you put parentheses around the word "palestinian".. kinda like I can put them around "israeli democracy".. It's fun how that works, eh? It's a shame that palis can't just be carted off and burned in piles, right buddy? I mean, hell.. If South Africa can have it's WHITE nation then... oh wait....

:lol:

Like I said.. good for Roger Waters. Gilmour is a cash hungry walk on anyway.

8. NumberFour

NumberFour Uzi does it

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I like how to you my parenthesis meant "carting people off and burned in piles"... :confused:

9. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Hey.. you decided to use them as if Palis have no legitimacy. Indeed, maybe you should point out the perspective of SOMEONE ELSE's writing while wearing your own like a badge...

10. NumberFour

NumberFour Uzi does it

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only legitimacy, in my eyes, that the "Palestinians" have is the fact that there are 7 million of them (give or take a few) and that they are a big f*cking problem, to put it mildly. But their demands are not legitimate in my eyes.