Roger Ailes and the rise of Fox News

The Guardian, as seen through the eyes of Fark.

"The typical viewer of Sean Hannity's show is a pro-business, Tea Party-backer with no college degree, who is over 50, supports the NRA, doesn't back gay rights and thinks government 'does too much'." Dad?

Roger Ailes and the rise of Fox News | Media | The Guardian

Roger Ailes and the rise of Fox News

"Even Rupert Murdoch is afraid of Roger Ailes, the paranoid boss of Fox News. But 'the Chairman' is using his power to make Americans more rightwing, more ignorant and ever more terrified."

Oh, thank you. We've been praying someone would notice.

In the fable Ailes tells about his own life, he made a clean break with his dirty political past long before 1996, when he joined forces with Murdoch to launch Fox News. "I quit politics," he has claimed, "because I hated it." But an examination of his career reveals that Ailes has used Fox News to pioneer a new form of political campaign – one that enables the Republican party to bypass sceptical reporters and wage an around-the-clock, partisan assault on public opinion. The network, at its core, is a giant soundstage created to mimic the look and feel of a news operation, cleverly camouflaging political propaganda as independent journalism.

The result is one of the most powerful political machines in American history. One that plays a leading role in defining Republican talking points and advancing the agenda of the far right. Fox News tilted the electoral balance to George W Bush in 2000, prematurely declaring him president in a move that prompted every other network to follow suit. It helped create the Tea Party, transforming it from the butt of late-night jokes into a nationwide insurgency capable of electing US senators. Fox News turbocharged the Republican takeover of the House last autumn, and even helped elect former Fox News host John Kasich as the union-busting governor of Ohio – with the help of $1.26m in campaign contributions from News Corp. And by incubating a host of potential Republican contenders on the Fox News payroll – including Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum – Ailes seems determined to add a fifth presidential notch to his belt in 2012. "Everything Roger wanted to do when he started out in politics, he's now doing 24/7 with his network," says a former News Corp executive. "It's come full circle."

I know that you see the world from only one view point and cannot conceptualize the existance of ideas or thoughts that don't fit into the neat little, and little is very appropriate here, world view that you embrace, but it is wise to try to understand the world from a perspective that includes reality.

I will try to help you here.

Anything in the world of business is competitive.

FOX News exists in the world of business.

Ratings indicate which on-air entity is winning and also pegs the ability to gain advertising dollars which leads to expanded revenues and is what defines success or failure in business.

FOX News leads the ratings. They are winning in the arena in which they compete and by the rules set by those with whom they compete.

How is this escaping your understanding?

That was quite a little rant against Fox News from the Gaurdian. Isn't IT FUNNY, they spew all the SAME talking points THAT MOST of the left do..

HUMMMMM?????

Last edited:
If I recall George Soros HAS a hand in the Guardian the same he does with mediamatters.

Soros donates $1m to the fight against Fox News

reddit this Comments (10)
Media Matters, the not-for-profit website that monitors the conservative wing of the US media, has received a $1m donation from the philanthropist George Soros.

The organisation says it will use the money to intensify its efforts to hold Fox News hosts, such as Glenn Beck, accountable for their reporting.

Launched in May 2004, Media Matters has waged war on Fox and others in the conservative press. It issued a statement saying that Fox is a Republican party "attack machine, dividing Americans through fear-mongering and falsehoods and undermining the legitimacy of our government for partisan political ends."

In an accompanying statement, Soros, who has a history of supporting liberal politicians and causes, accused Fox News hosts of "incendiary rhetoric", which is a challenge "to civil and informed discourse in our democracy."

and lookie where this came from.
Soros donates $1m to the fight against Fox News | Media | guardian.co.uk

From the same story.

Does Maryland's study mean anything like the old say, "Stupid is as stupid does"?

Seems so. And they're so freakin rabid! Some of my high school classmates are big into Fox, and it's ... like talking to zombies, really.

It's odd that you should say that. I'm recently back from a class reunion of 40 years. I would say the same of the Liberals with whom I had occasion to discuss various topics.

One was an environmentalist. He was rabid in his hatred of the Conservatives who were trying to attack the environment. He had no particular facts or understanding of the poitics of this or what the intrusion of the EPA into the affairs of businees might produce or the history of the clean up that probably started at the ignition of the Cuyahuga River in Cleveland or the state of the cleanliness of the water today compared to the recent or distant past or the impotence of the regulations confined to the USA when the rest of the world continued forward in their increases emissions and run offs and pollution.

He was rabid and passionate and clueless.

Another was rabidly attacking the TEA party that refused to increase taxes. He was seemingly unaware that spending had increased by half over the last few years and that the goernment was growing and that the tax base while huge is simply incapable of keeping pace if we have spend thrifts opeing the spigots.

Personally, I think that the cap on the taxation of personal income that limits the Social Security Take from the very high income folks is silly. When he understood that about me, suddenly I was on his side as a tax raiser and not the enemy. I found this to be interesting.

His positions, though, seemed to me to class warfare, tax the rich, increase entitlements and create social justice. My positions are work hard, save your money, plan your moves so you have a chance tomorrow and take care of yourself. His position depends on adjusting the activities of others to suit his goals. My position depends on adjusting my own activities to suit my goals.

These are pretty dramatically different positions.

The point is, though, that they were like zombies repeating the same points over and over without ever hearing the counter points.

links in this article at site.

Why Don't We Hear About Soros' Ties to Over 30 Major News Organizations?
By Dan Gainor

Published May 11, 2011
| FoxNews.com
SNIP:
AP

Billionaire George Soros
Editor's note: This is the first of a two part series on George Soros and the media.

When liberal investor George Soros gave $1.8 million to National Public Radio , it became part of the firestorm of controversy that jeopardized NPR’s federal funding. But that gift only hints at the widespread influence the controversial billionaire has on the mainstream media. Soros, who spent $27 million trying to defeat President Bush in 2004, has ties to more than 30 mainstream news outlets – including The New York Times, Washington Post, the Associated Press, NBC and ABC.

Prominent journalists like ABC’s Christiane Amanpour and former Washington Post editor and now Vice President Len Downie serve on boards of operations that take Soros cash. This despite the Society of Professional Journalists' ethical code stating: “avoid all conflicts real or perceived.”

This information is part of an upcoming report by the Media Research Centers Business & Media Institute which has been looking into George Soros and his influence on the media.

The investigative reporting start-up ProPublica is a prime example. ProPublica, which recently won its second Pulitzer Prize, initially was given millions of dollars from the Sandler Foundation to “strengthen the progressive infrastructure” – “progressive” being the code word for very liberal. In 2010, it also received a two-year contribution of $125,000 each year from the Open Society Foundations. In case you wonder where that money comes from, the OSF website is Open Society Foundations. It is a network of more than 30 international foundations, mostly funded by Soros, who has contributed more than $8 billion to those efforts.

The ProPublica stories are thoroughly researched by top-notch staffers who used to work at some of the biggest news outlets in the nation. But the topics are almost laughably left-wing. The site’s proud list of “Our Investigations” includes attacks on oil companies, gas companies, the health care industry, for-profit schools and more. More than 100 stories on the latest lefty cause: opposition to drilling for natural gas by hydraulic fracking. Another 100 on the evils of the foreclosure industry.

Throw in a couple investigations making the military look bad and another about prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and you have almost the perfect journalism fantasy – a huge budget, lots of major media partners and a liberal agenda unconstrained by advertising.

One more thing: a 14-person Journalism Advisory Board, stacked with CNN’s David Gergen and representatives from top newspapers, a former publisher of The Wall Street Journal and the editor-in-chief of Simon & Schuster. Several are working journalists, including:

• Jill Abramson, a managing editor of The New York Times;

• Kerry Smith, the senior vice president for editorial quality of ABC News;

• Cynthia A. Tucker, the editor of the editorial page of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

ProPublica is far from the only Soros-funded organization that is stacked with members of the supposedly neutral press.

The Center for Public Integrity is another great example. Its board of directors is filled with working journalists like Amanpour from ABC, right along side blatant liberal media types like Arianna Huffington, of the Huffington Post and now AOL.

Read more: Why Don't We Hear About Soros' Ties to Over 30 Major News Organizations? - FoxNews.com

Last edited:
Big friggin' deal about Ailes and Fox. If you liberal pukes don't like it all you gotta do is click over to the MSNBC crowd or the one of the big three broadcast networks. Or better yet, get a life.

Why is Fox news becoming so popular?
Because the people want the full and correct news , that's why.
People are sick and tired of the main stream media promoting the liberal agenda.

The main stream media did not mention that Ryans bill on Medicare would not effect any of our seniors that are on it now, and that it would take effect for those who are under 55 years of age.
Fox news did and said the number of the bill so that you could go there and read it.

And the main stream media are not reporting on how the the New Health Care bill will throw grandma over the cliff,by taking 550 billion out of Medicare and capping the amount that Doctors are to get paid.

From the same story.

Does Maryland's study mean anything like the old say, "Stupid is as stupid does"?

Seems so. And they're so freakin rabid! Some of my high school classmates are big into Fox, and it's ... like talking to zombies, really.
When do you go back to school so you quit posting so much ... I mean I looked at your stats and you post Posts Per Day: 44.59.. Really ...

Last edited:
From the same story.

Boop, honestly, are you that fucking oblivious that you don’t know most of us find talking to you to be just like talking to a zombie?

Last edited:
Here's my belief: if you're enough of an asshole that you think it's a worthy "academic" (using that word loosely) endeavor to try and determine who's smart and dumb (or "informed") on the basis of which TV channels they watch, methinks you've probably already made your mind up to begin with.

Why is Fox news becoming so popular?
Because the people want the full and correct news , that's why.
People are sick and tired of the main stream media promoting the liberal agenda.

The main stream media did not mention that Ryans bill on Medicare would not effect any of our seniors that are on it now, and that it would take effect for those who are under 55 years of age.
Fox news did and said the number of the bill so that you could go there and read it.

And the main stream media are not reporting on how the the New Health Care bill will throw grandma over the cliff,by taking 550 billion out of Medicare and capping the amount that Doctors are to get paid.

Fox News are no more likely to present 'full and correct' news than MSNBC. The difference between the viewership of both is that Fox viewers don't seem so desperate to shut MSNBC up. Which tells me a lot about Fox viewers - that they are not afraid of opposition. Pity that I cannot say the same about the hysterical left wingers of MSNBC.

To a Lib a "Free press" means that the press is free to report what Obama tell them to

Fox News are no more likely to present 'full and correct' news than MSNBC.

If you said CNN, I would agree with you. But MSNBC is "special," they are openly biased - a propaganda outlet with no attempt to provide accurate news.

CNN has a left leaning bias in the reporting of legitimate news; Fox has a right leaning bias in reporting legitimate news.

MSNBC doesn't report legitimate news.

New Topics

Forum List

Back