Roethlisberger is an Asshole

As long as Ben keeps winning. Steelers can act morally outraged all they want, but they will be signing his checks for years to come. If not them, another team will gladly do so.

another team, yes.

I'm a big Steelers fan, and I'd think less of the team if they kept him at this point. Whether he's a rapist or not he's embarrassed his team by being an asshole. That's not what they stand for or what a lot of their fans will tolerate.

So where will he likely end up?

Oakland.

No. Just enough to charge him and give him his day in court.

Something about the lack of charges being pressed stinks to me.

Yeah, I agree that the prosecutor must think there isn't much of a case (obviously).

However, I fail to see how, if there was no criminal conduct, this woman can proceed with a civil case.

Maybe she is just assuming he'll settle to make it go away.

If that's the case, then that's fucked up.

But, it's not really her fault the prosecutor isn't going to pursue the case.

From what I understand she wants nothing to do with testifying.

As to the first part of your post, OJ was cleared of criminal charges and lost the wrongful death civil suit in his case.

The woman's statement is good enough for you to convict the guy?

And that could go either way. Either there isn't enough evidence to support a charge, or the DA doesn't want to cross a celebrity, or any number of things going on here. Which is why I reserve judgment on her claims until they're tried in a court other than public opinion. I just don't know enough to say whether there is only a civil suit because there's no fire, or whether there are other reasons.

And no, few DA's will charge on an accusation alone. For good or bad, there has to be enough evidence to think they have a chance to win before most of them will go ahead with a case. Maybe it's politics, maybe it's lack of resources, or maybe there just isn't anything there as far as evidence to merit an indictment. Who knows?

And that could go either way. Either there isn't enough evidence to support a charge, or the DA doesn't want to cross a celebrity, or any number of things going on here. Which is why I reserve judgment on her claims until they're tried in a court other than public opinion. I just don't know enough to say whether there is only a civil suit because there's no fire, or whether there are other reasons.

And no, few DA's will charge on an accusation alone. For good or bad, there has to be enough evidence to think they have a chance to win before most of them will go ahead with a case. Maybe it's politics, maybe it's lack of resources, or maybe there just isn't anything there as far as evidence to merit an indictment. Who knows?

I agree that everything is very unclear but between the medical reports, the reporting cop resigning, Ben having photos taken with local cops that night, his celebrity status, etc ... it feels to me like they are trying to sweep something under the rug.

Then that is shady as hell.

As to the first part of your post, OJ was cleared of criminal charges and lost the wrongful death civil suit in his case.

Well, the burden of proof is lower.

Shady that you now think she may be lying or shady in that lots of rape victims don't want anything to do with testifying in court?

Shady that you now think she may be lying or shady in that lots of rape victims don't want anything to do with testifying in court?

The former. Maybe not lying though, but more interested in a payout than in justice.

I guess it's speculative though. Who knows what is really going on and what the psyche of the alleged victim is.

The former. Maybe not lying though, but more interested in a payout than in justice.

I guess it's speculative though. Who knows what is really going on and what the psyche of the alleged victim is.

That's my point, we don't know what's going on. Maybe she's telling the truth and he's getting away with rape. But maybe not. And realize the cops and local DA can't talk about evidence and investigations like private lawyers can.

But if she wants to actually take a civil case to court and win she'll likely need to testify there for tactical reasons. Which is why the civil suit sounds fishy enough to me to have doubts. Looking for a settlement? I don't know enough to begin to answer that, but it's a possibility.

That's my point, we don't know what's going on. Maybe she's telling the truth and he's getting away with rape. But maybe not. And realize the cops and local DA can't talk about evidence and investigations like private lawyers can.

But if she wants to actually take a civil case to court and win she'll likely need to testify there for tactical reasons. Which is why the civil suit sounds fishy enough to me to have doubts. Looking for a settlement? I don't know enough to begin to answer that, but it's a possibility.

Regardless of her ability to give consent, Rothlesbergers actions that night were just plain creepy

Yeah, I agree that the prosecutor must think there isn't much of a case (obviously).

However, I fail to see how, if there was no criminal conduct, this woman can proceed with a civil case.

Two words: O.J Simpson.

:lol: Damn, see Art already mentioned that.

Ben Roethlisberger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The accuser was treated at Oconee Regional Medical Center. An emergency-room doctor and two nurses examined her and noted in their report a "superficial laceration and bruising" in the genital area, while everything else was normal.[95] The doctor could not definitively state whether the bruising or bleeding had been the result of a sexual assault. No semen was recovered and the amount of male DNA found was insufficient to create a profile or establish that an assault had taken place. The doctor's report also quoted the alleged victim telling them that, "A boy kind of raped me."[95] In interviews with the police on the night of the incident, the victim alleged that Roethlisberger, after inviting the victim and her friends to the V.I.P. area of the nightclub, encouraged them to do numerous shots of alcohol before one of his bodyguards—an off-duty Pennsylvania policeman—led her down a hallway to a stool and left. Roethlisberger approached and allegedly exposed himself and, despite the victim's protests, followed her into what turned out to be a bathroom when she tried to leave through the first door she saw. The victim claims Roethlisberger then had sex with her.

Regardless of her ability to give consent, Rothlesbergers actions that night were just plain creepy

Yep. And he's an asshole, no doubt about it. A dumb one too.

And who knows? Maybe the girl is telling the truth and she thinks a monetary settlement is the best justice she can get under the circumstances. I'm just keeping an open mind. There's obviously more here than we're hearing about.

I don't know if he raped that girl or not, but if I owned the Steelers, he would be gone.

Witness statements make bad situation worse for Roethlisberger | ProFootballTalk.com

I was under the impression that an intoxicated person couldn't legally consent to sex anyways?

Why is this not a criminal case? Another bullshit example of american legal duplicity where the celebrity/royalty class plays by their own rules.

So if a Woman is Sober and a Man is Drunk, the Man is being Raped?...

:)

peace...

Two words: O.J Simpson.

Simpson was still charged with murder and tried and the families of the victims were all very much a part of that. If this woman is not going to facilitate the prosecutor in bringing criminal charges and a trial against BR, than there seems to be a disconnect in her pursuing a civil case.

As Article pointed out, though, many victims of rape don't want to take the stand and I guess that is understandable.

Not her fault? She can press her OWN fucking charges if she wants.

She can also attempt to sue Ben if she wants, as well. In civil cases, you don't have to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

The woman wants to fucking get PAID.

I don't understand how some of you don't see this. Whether or not Ben is an asshole is pretty irrelevant to the fact that this chick appears to be trying to railroad him.

It almost sounds as though some are making excuses for the girl's obvious paper chase, here.

Forum List

Back