Roethlisberger In Serious Motorcycle Accident - Not Wearing Helmet

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters.

The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers spokesman, who declined to provide other information.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

I heard a passerby, who happened to be an NFL referee, declined to call the incident a collision, instead ruling it a "touchdown."

Seriously, though, I hope Ben is OK.

And I hope that Steelers management puts a "wear-your-helmet-or-forfeit-your-salary" clause in his contract.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
I remember watching with my wife when he was doing an interview where he was talking up riding with no gear. I kept telling my wife that he was an idiot.... That if I made that much money based on my BODY I would protect it if I was riding. I don't know if I would go skiing or rockclimbing or all the other activities I do if I made that kind of money on what my BODY could do....

5stringJeff said:
I heard a passerby, who happened to be an NFL referee, declined to call the incident a collision, instead ruling it a "touchdown."

Seriously, though, I hope Ben is OK.

And I hope that Steelers management puts a "wear-your-helmet-or-forfeit-your-salary" clause in his contract.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 5stringJeff again.

He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

This is a load of shit. The things that should be made mandatory are being made optional..The things that should be optional are being made mandatory.

Helmets, and body protection should be mandatory. If you don't possess the common sense to protect yourself before you get on one, then obviously somebody needs to protect you FROM yourself.

More from the same link; updated story:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and underwent surgery following a serious head injury he suffered this morning when his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. "He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker at 11:15 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

The 62-year-old woman driving the car, who maintains residences in Maine and Squirrel Hill, escaped serious injury, police said.

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident, and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

2006-06-12_benmap-a.jpg

Mr. P said:
So he wears a helmet at a football game, but not while moving at 30mph(?) on a road? IDIOT!!!

No kidding. I can't wait until he tells Coach Cowher that he'd rather not wear a football helmet. The first play in practice I'd tell Big Ben to call would be an option run right, with Polamalu and Porter blitzing from the right side.

GotZoom said:
Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

What the hell was Ben thinking? He's lucky to be alive. I'm glad that he'll likely be back for the season but this was just really a stupid thing to do. Now, I think the accident was unavoidable but look at where all the damage was done (on his head!). What would the difference have been had he been wearing a helmet?

I hope he gets healthy and has no remaining issues as a result of the accident. And hopefully he'll admit it was a dumb move and that'll be the end of the issue. I hope he isn't arrogant and claim it was the driver and not the helmet issue.

I agree with Bradshaw who supposedly told him to lose the bike until after his career.

5stringJeff said:
No kidding. I can't wait until he tells Coach Cowher that he'd rather not wear a football helmet.

Cowher is an ex-linebacker and a pretty nasty individual himself! I hope the jaw comes out and he spits and screams at Ben and knocks some common sense into him.

Word from a local TV station there is that he didn't even have a motorcycle license. His "temp" (learner) license ran out the end of March.

Can you say stupid?

Shattered said:
This is a load of shit. The things that should be made mandatory are being made optional..The things that should be optional are being made mandatory.

Helmets, and body protection should be mandatory. If you don't possess the common sense to protect yourself before you get on one, then obviously somebody needs to protect you FROM yourself.

I disagree. Repsectfully, of course. If an idiot wants to ride without a helmet or body armor -- CYA.

It's called natural selection and I think idiots should have the right to do themselves in however they please.

Shattered said:

And to think we (Americans) still allow librulls to vote.... :banana:

Sorry, but protecting people from themselves is the definition of "liberal." How about we work on protecting each other from stupid people and criminals? Additional legislation does nothing more than enlarge and already obese government.

CockySOB said:
And to think we (Americans) still allow librulls to vote.... :banana:

Sorry, but protecting people from themselves is the definition of "liberal." How about we work on protecting each other from stupid people and criminals? Additional legislation does nothing more than enlarge and already obese government.

Now you've gone and done it. Respectfully disagreeing with Shattered is pushing it. I don't think calling her a libbie is going to get you any brownie points.

Probably just beat up.

GunnyL said:
Now you've gone and done it. Respectfully disagreeing with Shattered is pushing it. I don't think calling her a libbie is going to get you any brownie points.

Huh? Do I care about brownie points? Are they somehow better than rep points?

All I did was point out how the policy of protecting people from themselves is a trademark of the American liberal (and librull) movement. In reality it's a matter of being totalitarian while putting on a caring facade. What's next? Outlawing the Darwin Awards in order to protect idiots from themselves?

GunnyL said:
Probably just beat up.

Getting beat up by a woman? Do I have to pay for the priviledge? I mean, I'm used to having to shell out some serious moolah for that pleasure.....

:whip:

(yeah, I know Gunny, I'm an ass... :) )
I think I see what you were getting at though. My comment regarding librulls was a general observation on policy and not aimed at Shattered specifically. I could have been clearer.

Forum List

Back