Roe v Wade?

to be honest there are quite a few people who see the error of the application of the 14th this side of the civil war. Sane people even. I wonder if any battle axes ever thought the same about prohibition.

sorry Ravir.. I didn't mean to whip out your latest glamour shot.
CarrieNation.jpg

Isn't that you in drag?

But you should be mightly upset with the federal Government , since the 30's they have seized so much unconstitutional power it is frightening.

Social Security, Medicare, Department of Education, HUD, welfare, and the list goes on and on.
I do in fact worry about the growth of federal power. Like the Founders, I fear the Executive is becoming a real threat to liberty, and I have held that concern through Democrats and Republicans alike. Bush's police state ambitions are but an extreme example of executive abuse.

As to Social Security, Medicare, Department of Education, HUD, welfare:

You misconstrue the "carrot and stick" structure of our government. There are powers of compulsion, and those were limited. But contemporary conservatives want to apply the limited powers concept (which is properly applied to the "sticks") to the powers of inducement as well (the "carrots").

Article I, Sec. 8 empowers Congress "To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States". This is constrained by the Bill of Rights, including the unenumerated rights of the Ninth, and perhaps other provisions, but the ability of government to offer social services (including universal health care) is part of providing for the general welfare.

Any exercise of governmental power carries risk, but government is necessary. But the grave risks that the founders feared were centered around the government's powers of compulsion.

Are you telling me that you don't recognize your last mall stop glamour shot? I mean, I kinda figured they had to use a pound of makeup and pray that the lens didn't crack under extreme ugliness but shit...

is that what your d cell romeo sounds like when it's whispering sweet nothings into your, uh, pillow?

:cool:

Forum List

Back