Rodney King wounded in shooting

Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
RIALTO, California (CNN) -- Rodney King, whose 1991 police beating sparked widespread rioting in Los Angeles and other U.S. cities, was recovering Thursday after being slightly wounded by gunfire.

Rialto, California, Police Department Sgt. Don Lewis said King was grazed on his face, arms, back and torso. The wounds were superficial. A shotgun was believed to have been the weapon used.

Lewis said that after King was shot Wednesday night, he rode his bicycle from San Bernardino to his home in Rialto, before calling police about 11:40 p.m.

Information on possible suspects or the hospital where King was treated were not immediately available.

Amateur video captured King's beating after Los Angeles police officers stopped him for speeding March 3, 1991. Police beat King repeatedly, delivering 56 baton blows and six kicks -- causing skull fractures, and brain and kidney damage.

Four officers were charged with assault with a deadly weapon and excessive use of force but were acquitted of state charges on April 29, 1992.

The three days of rioting that followed left 55 people dead and 2,000 injured. There were 12,000 arrests and about $1 billion in property damage in Los Angeles.

Two of the officers, Sgt. Stacey Koon and officer Laurence Powell, were later convicted of federal civil rights violations.

Since then, King has had a handful of run-ins with the law, including a guilty plea in 2004 to driving under the influence of a controlled substance and reckless driving.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/29/rodney.king.shot/index.html

This guy is such a pain in the ass. He is a career criminal and a drug addict.

And he had the gall to protest cops beating the living shit out of him. When will these ******* learn, right Nevada?

King has been in trouble off and on ever since he hit the news back in '91. First his refusal to pull over during that high speed pursuit that started it all, then there were drug issues, domestic abuse issues and other assorted problems. The guy obviously has issues and I do not believe that they stem solely from his encounter with the cops back in '91. My understanding is that he had been in trouble before the chase and the pattern continues.

On another note, the local news reporting the story here ended their report with a line that went something like this:

Rodney Kings beating at the hands of police led to the 1992 riots.

Uh...No, the aquittal of the cops involved in the beating led the 1992 riots.

Anyway, Rodney King is a loser and has yet to find a way to stay out of trouble, legal or otherwise.

King has been in trouble off and on ever since he hit the news back in '91. First his refusal to pull over during that high speed pursuit that started it all, then there were drug issues, domestic abuse issues and other assorted problems. The guy obviously has issues and I do not believe that they stem solely from his encounter with the cops back in '91. My understanding is that he had been in trouble before the chase and the pattern continues.

On another note, the local news reporting the story here ended their report with a line that went something like this:

Rodney Kings beating at the hands of police led to the 1992 riots.

Uh...No, the aquittal of the cops involved in the beating led the 1992 riots.

Anyway, Rodney King is a loser and has yet to find a way to stay out of trouble, legal or otherwise.

I think that the cops over did it when they were beating on a person who was on his hands and knees. Anyway, I might be wrong or right. My main point here is that each case should be judged on its own merits. Things that happened concerning King in the early 1990’s should have noting to do with the resolution of this recent incident. What happened years ago does not justify King being shot in 2007.

I think that the cops over did it when they were beating on a person who was on his hands and knees. Anyway, I might be wrong or right.

All I can say is that he should have pulled over. I am fairly confident that excessive force was used, at least in my opinion, but not being a cop I can't say for certain. I do know that studies have been done that pertain to cops and high speed pursuits that basically say that, at the end, with all the adrenaline flowing and the lives put at risk, it's surprising that the beatings don't happen more often.

My main point here is that each case should be judged on its own merits. Things that happened concerning King in the early 1990’s should have noting to do with the resolution of this recent incident. What happened years ago does not justify King being shot in 2007.

I agree with you here,, but my point is simply that King has done little or nothing to change the way he lives and as such continues to find himself in situations that most of us can not begin to fathom. This recent incident, I believe, is just an extension of that.

I say the same of my daughter. She constantly makes bad decisions, puts herself in situations and locales, gets in trouble, winds up in jail and then wonders why. She finds herself in a bar and in a fight in a bad part of town, a part of town she hangs out in, and wonders how it always happens to her. Well, it happens because she refuses to change the things she does and the decisions she makes.

She is twenty four years old and there is nothing her mother or I can do to help her, she refuses to accept the help we offer. I love her and always will, but she is a loser.

Dammmmmmmmmmn.

We've got two others, so far they seem okay. LOL.

Seriously though, and in her defense, there are some underlying mental health issues involved. She knows about them and doesn't seek help. We did everything we could for her until she turned eighteen and decided she knew more than we did about what she needed and moved out.

It's heartbreaking to say the least, but at some point you can do nothing but step back and draw a line denoting the engths you are willing to go to unless or until a person gets the help they need. She knows where that line is. It's up to her now.

Anyone who watched that beating and thinks it wasn't excessive force is engaging in that wonderful human feat called reality denial. But if Rodney were a car he'd be sent back as a real lemon.

And he had the gall to protest cops beating the living shit out of him. When will these ******* learn, right Nevada?

The fact that the cops were out of control and abused their authority does not negate the fact that Rodney King is an idiot, and has had frequent run-ins with law enforcement.

I see at least he has been smart enough to ride a bicycle while intoxicated nowadays instead of driving a car.:rofl:

The fact that the cops were out of control and abused their authority does not negate the fact that Rodney King is an idiot, and has had frequent run-ins with law enforcement.

I see at least he has been smart enough to ride a bicycle while intoxicated nowadays instead of driving a car.:rofl:

I’m not interested in King’s history of run-ins with the law. That history has no bearing on whether or not he should have been shot in the latest incident.

I’m not interested in King’s history of run-ins with the law. That history has no bearing on whether or not he should have been shot in the latest incident.

As far as the specific incident is concerned, I agree. In fact, he probably should recieve no more attention than however many people got shot last night in Houston, right?

But you have to admit, the bicycle thing IS funny.:rofl: Or maybe it's just me.:redface:

As far as the specific incident is concerned, I agree. In fact, he probably should recieve no more attention than however many people got shot last night in Houston, right?

But you have to admit, the bicycle thing IS funny.:rofl: Or maybe it's just me.:redface:

Hmmm. Is the fact that he was on a bike relevant to the story? Did the author have some hidden agenda or path that he wants you to follow? Did he want you to see a correlation? Sorry. Wrong thread.

I thought that you would post some race-related comment. Anyway, here is the recent history of Rodney King:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King#Recent_life

Rodney King is proof that money won't fix blacks.

It is illogical to draw conclusions based on a sample size of one. Money helps some people from some races. Money helps some people of other races. Money hurts some people from some races. Money hurts some people from other races.

What happened to his bucketloads?

He used some of the money to start a hiphop music label.
He subsequently moved to Rialto, California.

It is illogical to draw conclusions based on a sample size of one.

Yet there are HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of examples of blacks who've gotten rich as athletes or entertainers and have ended up bankrupt. Michael Jackson, "Hammer," every other member of the NBA, you name it. The typical liberal response to why blacks don't achieve what whites do is that "they don't have enough money." So you, whitey, have to hand it over. But as with African countries, we can pour BILLIONS into them, and it doesn't alchemize them into a careful, responsible, future-oriented people. Blacks are short-sighted and compulsive, very "now" oriented. Whites are more likely to plan for the future. What galls me is that we whites always end up having to bail them out, but we're still the evil "racists" keeping them down. Right. All those "racist" whites buying their music and going to their games to make them millionaires...

Yet there are HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of examples of blacks who've gotten rich as athletes or entertainers and have ended up bankrupt. Michael Jackson, "Hammer," every other member of the NBA, you name it.

There are many examples of white guys who “strike it rich only to crash and burn”.

The typical liberal response to why blacks don't achieve what whites do is that "they don't have enough money." So you, whitey, have to hand it over. But as with African countries, we can pour BILLIONS into them, and it doesn't alchemize them into a careful, responsible, future-oriented people. Blacks are short-sighted and compulsive, very "now" oriented. Whites are more likely to plan for the future. What galls me is that we whites always end up having to bail them out, but we're still the evil "racists" keeping them down. Right. All those "racist" whites buying their music and going to their games to make them millionaires...

Show me some relevant sound statistics from a non-prejudicial web site.

Hmmm. Is the fact that he was on a bike relevant to the story? Did the author have some hidden agenda or path that he wants you to follow? Did he want you to see a correlation? Sorry. Wrong thread.

Since the bicycle was the mode of transportation King used to take himself for medical help, it is relevant to the story. Medical treatment of wounds is standard gravy for article about shooting.:cool:

Since the bicycle was the mode of transportation King used to take himself for medical help, it is relevant to the story. Medical treatment of wounds is standard gravy for article about shooting.:cool:

Oh well. One reader’s honey is another person’s vinegar. One person can see undeclared intent by a writer and another person can’t. It might be there or it might not be there. I think that you see my point. The issue of alleged hidden or subtle intent of a writer is subjective and based on preconceived biases of each reader. I think that the point that King was on a bicycle was irrelevant and superfluous. (Perhaps the writer had a bias against King and was attempting to suggest that King was too poor now to afford a car. On the other hand, bicycle riding is better exercise for you than is driving a car. Perhaps the writer intended for people to take more of an interest in bicycles. Why didn’t it include information about what King did with his winnings from that court case a few years ago? Hmmm). Who knows why he wrote the article the way that he did. Where is the journalism law that says that modes of transportation must be included or excluded? Where is the rule that says that monthly attack statistics must be included or excluded from a story about a particular attack? I think that people just try to read too much into stuff.

Oh well. One reader’s honey is another person’s vinegar. One person can see undeclared intent by a writer and another person can’t. It might be there or it might not be there. I think that you see my point. The issue of alleged hidden or subtle intent of a writer is subjective and based on preconceived biases of each reader. I think that the point that King was on a bicycle was irrelevant and superfluous. (Perhaps the writer had a bias against King and was attempting to suggest that King was too poor now to afford a car. On the other hand, bicycle riding is better exercise for you than is driving a car. Perhaps the writer intended for people to take more of an interest in bicycles. Why didn’t it include information about what King did with his winnings from that court case a few years ago? Hmmm). Who knows why he wrote the article the way that he did. Where is the journalism law that says that modes of transportation must be included or excluded? Where is the rule that says that monthly attack statistics must be included or excluded from a story about a particular attack? I think that people just try to read too much into stuff.

The writer's intent is not subjective, nor imaginary. It's there. They're trained to put it there.

The bicycle thing was supposed to be humor, dude.:wtf:

You think there was no intent behind the writer mentioning King's frequent run-in with law enforcement and a quick recap of his 1991 incident? As you yourself stated, neither are relevant to the story.

Forum List

Back