Rocks falling into oceans, not climate, causing seas to rise, congressman suggests

Where tectonic plates meet uplifting mantle continuously deposits on the sea bed... pushing the plates apart in some places, closer in others. There's a significant amount of change regularly going on on the sea floor which can't be dismissed out of hand as at least a contribution to our sea level observations.

Of course, it's hard to blame tectonic shift on a mean, old President or evil corporations, or the uneducated masses of the flyover states so I don't think it will ever be discussed in any meaningful way.

Where tectonic plates meet uplifting mantle continuously deposits on the sea bed... pushing the plates apart in some places, closer in others. There's a significant amount of change regularly going on on the sea floor which can't be dismissed out of hand as at least a contribution to our sea level observations.

Of course, it's hard to blame tectonic shift on a mean, old President or evil corporations, or the uneducated masses of the flyover states so I don't think it will ever be discussed in any meaningful way.

Well that's a post I don't see every day.. thank you.

Well that's a post I don't see every day.. thank you.

It's sad in a way that climate change will never be discussed in any sort of rational scientific way in a public forum. Too much at stake politically and economically to allow free-discussion to exist.

Agnotology works, especially when it is in the interests of some. Two books for the interested reader.

'Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming' Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway

'Agnotology, The Making and Unmaking of Ignorance'

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258785582_Agnotology_learning_from_mistakes

"The interesting thing that most lay people and even scientists don't understand is how unbiased knowledge as a whole emerges from individual scientists who are biased. It is still one of the greatest mysteries of science." Ian Mitroff

Is Mo Brooks really this stupid?

A rolling stone may gather no moss, but if it tumbles into the ocean, you can expect the seas to rise.

At least that's the theory embraced by Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala., during a hearing held Wednesday by the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology on how technology can be used to address climate change.
If that's what he said, then he is correct.

Obviously, if a stone tumbles into a body of water it will displace some of that water.

Agnotology works, especially when it is in the interests of some. Two books for the interested reader.

'Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming' Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway

'Agnotology, The Making and Unmaking of Ignorance'

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258785582_Agnotology_learning_from_mistakes

"The interesting thing that most lay people and even scientists don't understand is how unbiased knowledge as a whole emerges from individual scientists who are biased. It is still one of the greatest mysteries of science." Ian Mitroff

What does the lab work on CO2 show...oh, nevermind, that's right, you don't need lab work, you have "Consensus"

Warming = Global Warming
Cooling = Climate Change
Consensus = Moonbat

A rolling stone may gather no moss, but if it tumbles into the ocean, you can expect the seas to rise.

At least that's the theory embraced by Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala., during a hearing held Wednesday by the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology on how technology can be used to address climate change.
Dude.....your link is crap.
I'm not gonna watch a 2 hr and 30 min video to see what you're trying to show us.

What does the lab work on CO2 show...oh, nevermind, that's right, you don't need lab work, you have "Consensus"
Apparently black holes don't exist as no lab work has been done on them. You keep running away from that consensus.

Run, Frank, run...

If you want anyone to take what you just said seriously, post a link to a serious scientific site that backs you up, because on the face of it, your statement sounds pretty dumb.

If you want anyone to take what you just said seriously, post a link to a serious scientific site that backs you up, because on the face of it, your statement sounds pretty dumb.

The leading experts in sea level are the Sea Level lab at the University of Colorado. They routinely take mantle movements, uplift, subsidence and erosion into account in their calculation where appropriate. Plate tectonics and sedimentation have been determined to be negligible over the time scale of human interest.

I suggest a visit

CU Sea Level Research Group | University of Colorado

Their latest data

sl_ns_global.png

The leading experts in sea level are the Sea Level lab at the University of Colorado. They routinely take mantle movements, uplift, subsidence and erosion into account in their calculation where appropriate. Plate tectonics and sedimentation have been determined to be negligible over the time scale of human interest.

I suggest a visit

Their latest data

sl_ns_global.png

The chart contains data from satellites that measure sea circulation and currents. They provide no data on undersea tectonic activities. But, it's pretty and looks uber-scientific.

Now ... here's the part where you call me a name.

Your serve.

I suggest a visit

Their latest data

sl_ns_global.png

The chart contains data from satellites that measure sea circulation and currents. They provide no data on undersea tectonic activities. But, it's pretty and looks uber-scientific.

Your serve.
Do you have anything to back up what YOU said? So far, it doesn't look like it.

fncceo said:

Your serve.

How about "STUPID"

Jason-3
spacer.gif

Mission Events

Jason-3 Launched: January 17, 2016 10:42 a.m. PST (1:42 p.m. EST)

Jason-3 Launch Information - viewing information, press releases, images, and videos.

Mission Summary

Jason-3 is the fourth mission in U.S.-European series of satellite missions that measure the height of the ocean surface. Launched on January 17, 2016, the mission will extend the time series of ocean surface topography measurements (the hills and valleys of the ocean surface) begun by the TOPEX/Poseidon satellite mission in 1992 and continuing through the Jason-1 (launched in 2001) and the currently operating OSTM/Jason-2 (launched in 2008) missions. These measurements provide scientists with critical information about circulation patterns in the ocean and about both global and regional changes in sea level and the climate implications of a warming world.

The primary instrument on Jason-3 is a radar altimeter. The altimeter will measure sea-level variations over the global ocean with very high accuracy (as 1.3 inches or 3.3 centimeters, with a goal of achieving 1 inch or 2.5 centimeters). Continual, long-term, reliable data of changes in ocean surface topography will be generated and will be used by scientists and operational agencies (NOAA, European weather agencies, marine operators, etc.) for scientific research and operational oceanography for the benefit of society.

TOPEX/Poseidon and Jason-1 were cooperative missions between NASA and the French space agency, CNES. Additional partners in the Jason-2 mission included NOAA and Eumetsat. Jason-3 continues the international cooperation, with NOAA and Eumetsat leading the efforts, along with partners NASA and CNES.

If that's what he said, then he is correct.

Obviously, if a stone tumbles into a body of water it will displace some of that water.
The problem comes when you atart to figure the amount of volume being displace. If had been techtoniuc shift to that mgnitude, it would have been picked up by siezmagrap! Nt to mention the sunamis it wou create.

Forum List

Back