Rochette skates two days after her mother's death

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Vancouver, British Columbia (CNN) -- As 14,000 lumps formed in 14,000 throats, Joannie Rochette took to the ice Tuesday night, just two days after her mother's shocking death.

She skated almost flawlessly, earning the third best score of the night in the Winter Olympics women's figure skating short program. But the score really wasn't the most important thing to most people at Pacific Coliseum.

"I watched her as she was about to skate and it looked like she was struggling emotionally," said Bill Thompson, chief executive officer of Skate Canada. "She just pulled herself together and put down a performance that I think -- where she came in is irrelevant -- was so magical and so heroic."

Days after mother's death, Olympic figure skater pushes on - CNN.com

And she performed just as I expected her to. There is something about athletic performances under these circumstances that seem to bring out the best in an athlete.

I was at a wedding where the bride's father passed away the day before the wedding. Extremely emotional and very tough on the bride.... I can't imagine what this poor girl was goin through.

I missed her performance (fell asleep early), but saw replays this morning.

I cannot imagine how she could pull it all together and skate so well so soon after her mother's unexpected death.

Much to her credit, and her mothers, this is one fine strong young woman. What an awesome performance and what a credit she is to her family and all who know and love her.

She is quite simply.....impressive.

Forum List

Back