Robots will replace most low paying jobs within a generation

Old Texas Reb

Jul 17, 2018
A lot of cities are establishing their own "living wage" hourly rates around the $15 level. LA recently bumped it up to $18. Even here in Austin, fast food chains can't get or keep workers unless they pay around $12.

Many fast food restaurants, retail stores and small contractors are beginning to see their profits being squeezed at this level and are having problems passing this extra cost along to their customers. If they raise their prices, they lose business.

We are getting close to a tipping point where a lot of these companies will choose to automate functions currently performed by restaurant workers and sales clerks. It's already begun to happen in many cities on the East & West coast. If the wage rate for employees reaches $20, companies will either automate or fold up. Contractors and builders can't automate, but they will survive by hiring people off the books (illegals).

Each year our dysfunctional education system graduates hordes of kids from high school that are barely literate. Who is going to take care of these people if they can't find jobs and have no skills -the Federal government?

Let’s do the math- many McDonald’s are open 24 hours a day, but let’s just assume 15 hours per day, let’s also assume only 350 days per year, average hourly wage of $8.

15 hrs x 350 days x $8/hour = $42,000 to pay a person (people) to take an order and make change or run a credit card.

Now you can buy a top of the line ATM for $10,000. (Remanufactured/programmed as a mickey Ds cashier). You don’t have to pay unemployment tax, it doesn’t call in sick (some maintenance for sure, but not like babysitting a teenage employee), it won’t take breaks, be late for work, etc.

Frankly I’m shocked there is a single human cashier at any fast food restaurant. The machine will cost less and be much more dependable.

Hate to tell you, but "temp" robot workers, who can be rented by the hour, are already here in the USA.

Robot Rental Comes of Age | 2018-04-10 | Assembly Magazine

Traditionally, some manufacturers have avoided robots because of the cost. However, a new robots-for-hire business model is changing that misperception and enabling many types of companies to benefit from automation.

Large and small manufacturers in a wide variety of industries are now beginning to treat robots as “temp workers.” It’s part of a new trend called Robotics as a Service (RaaS).

“RaaS originally was coined to describe the business model whereby robotic platforms functioned on cloud platforms that were sold as a service to end users,” says Rian Whitton, a research analyst at ABI Research Inc. “Now, RaaS represents one of the most notable phenomena in the development and diversification of commercial robots across an ever-expanding list of markets and [applications].”

Let’s do the math- many McDonald’s are open 24 hours a day, but let’s just assume 15 hours per day, let’s also assume only 350 days per year, average hourly wage of $8.

15 hrs x 350 days x $8/hour = $42,000 to pay a person (people) to take an order and make change or run a credit card.

Now you can buy a top of the line ATM for $10,000. (Remanufactured/programmed as a mickey Ds cashier). You don’t have to pay unemployment tax, it doesn’t call in sick (some maintenance for sure, but not like babysitting a teenage employee), it won’t take breaks, be late for work, etc.

Frankly I’m shocked there is a single human cashier at any fast food restaurant. The machine will cost less and be much more dependable.
you are calculating way to high!!!!!!!!
15 hours per day???!!!
350 days??!!
do they sleep?

15 hours per day???!!!
350 days??!!

Show me your math. I’d say I’m probably low if anything.

15 hours per day???!!!
350 days??!!

15 hours a day for 350 days?? RIDICULOUS

15 hours per day???!!!
350 days??!!

15 hours a day for 350 days?? RIDICULOUS

So you just say “wrong”, but provide no rebuttal. What is RIDICULOUS about my calculation. I’m pretty good at math.

15 hours per day???!!!
350 days??!!

ok my bad?? you mean total?

....at Bread Co/Panera you order and pay online---then just pick it up on the shelf...you don't deal with any live person

15 hours per day???!!!
350 days??!!

ok my bad?? you mean total?

I knew you’d get there.

A lot of cities are establishing their own "living wage" hourly rates around the $15 level. LA recently bumped it up to $18. Even here in Austin, fast food chains can't get or keep workers unless they pay around $12.

Many fast food restaurants, retail stores and small contractors are beginning to see their profits being squeezed at this level and are having problems passing this extra cost along to their customers. If they raise their prices, they lose business.

We are getting close to a tipping point where a lot of these companies will choose to automate functions currently performed by restaurant workers and sales clerks. It's already begun to happen in many cities on the East & West coast. If the wage rate for employees reaches $20, companies will either automate or fold up. Contractors and builders can't automate, but they will survive by hiring people off the books (illegals).

Each year our dysfunctional education system graduates hordes of kids from high school that are barely literate. Who is going to take care of these people if they can't find jobs and have no skills -the Federal government?

I have an idea. We build these great big showers.......

...now that you mention it--these idiots get my fast food, drive-thru order WRONG--a lot of times!!!!--
this last Friday the dumbass hands me the bag and says thank you--here's your salad....they had the salad but not the 2 burgers and fries....how hard can it be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????
so she hands me the receipt and it has the salad, burger and fries on it
...common sense--common manufacturing/drive-thru SOP should be you look at the receipt and make sure the customer has everything

The answer is to make automation financially bad.

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2018 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2018 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put BILLIONS into the economy daily.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

My plan would end all welfare.

My plan would significantly increase social security and pension payments.

My plan would hold prices for 10 years, thus eliminating inflation.

ALL jobs except for certificate/licensed jobs are low skilled.

Profits are being squeezed by investors wanting more. For instance, Chick-fil-A is paying $17.00/hr. Chick is a privately held company.

I pay a starting wage of $23.50/hr. My five companies are privately held.

Will these be good robots like in Lost in Space or killer robots like Terminator?

....at Bread Co/Panera you order and pay online---then just pick it up on the shelf...you don't deal with any live person

They also have $8 dollar peanut butter and jelly sandwiches , I always wondered what an $8 peanut butter and jelly sandwich tasted like?

maxresdefault.jpg

Forum List

Back