Robot Guidance Counselors?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Sounds like a very good idea to me:

Meet Mr. Robot, Your New Guidance Counselor | Via Meadia

2. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    The way our educational system is going maybe we need robot teachers too. Ones that bolt the door and beat the idiots when they're not following along.

I'm not kidding.

That is my plan b for my plan posted on another thread. Which centers around paying the teacher a reward for producing results and firing for not.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  3. onecut39

onecut39 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Now take your time and tell me exactly what criteria you would use in evaluating a teacher. I am not being argumentative. What "results" are we talking about? I simply want to know how you would distinguish a good teacher from a bad one.

4. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    Well, that would have to be figured out in the future...

A good guess is to set up a system of scale based on performance. Let's say the Avg teacher passes around 70% of his/her class? (70 percent based on a number picked out of the air) Of course this number would have to be adjusted for different environments; let's say in the center of a black area one high's school is passes at around 30%. The Avg would be centered at around that number to start with and hopefully with time would increase as results improve(some standard would have to be made).

-A teacher that performed at the Avg for the "area" would keep their pay and benefits.
    -Any teacher that increased performance by 10% would get an 5-10% pay raise.

Any teacher within the black community school passing only 15% of his or her students would be fired. Same in an area that passes 70% that passes around 35%. We don't need these teachers within our educational system. Such standards will likely have to be figured at in the future, but I'd say about 50 percent of Avg to start the discussion.

Maybe in poor area's with high welfare, I'd aim a benefit program at poor parents that rewards parents helping their childern to pass. If a marked increase could be shown then they would receive a 5% increase in their food stamps, ssd, welfare, etc.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Robot Health Care Counselors aren't far behind.

Most likely programmed to tell you that you won't get that life saving operation while the bureaucrat that programmed it (Probably USMB Poster GreenBeard) hides behind a desk somewhere.

Patient: "I have this pain in my shoulder..."
    Robot Counselor: "You. Will. Die".