Roberts Epilepsy Medication Affects His Cognition

What a stupid statement. It is true the meds can affect mood, behavior, memory and critical thinking. But it is rare and usually happens when two or more medications are used in conjunction. I really doubt he'd be on the court if this were the case.

seriously? this is what the wingers are going with?

lol.

If you knew anything about Seizures and anti-seizure medication you would know this could actually be plausible
I think it's much-more likely that Michael Savage wants to make sure he maintain his reputation for being a....

....as if he's got any competition, at his level.

savage-pig.jpg

seriously? this is what the wingers are going with?

lol.

If you knew anything about Seizures and anti-seizure medication you would know this could actually be plausible
]I think it's much-more likely that Michael Savage wants to make sure he maintain his reputation for being a....

....as if he's got any competition, at his level.

Come on, now. You know damn well the guy has plenty of good competition at his level.

Staying positive living with epilepsy...

5 Ways I Stay Positive Living With Epilepsy
9/07/2015 | Epilepsy has one job, and one job only. To attempt to make our lives a living hell. We have one job too as epilepsy fighters. To return the favor.
You see, I refuse to allow epilepsy to steal, kill and destroy my joy in life. Sure, epilepsy is here and it's going to be here for a time. However, I've got my life to live and I'm going to live it to the fullest regardless of this condition. Yeah, it might get in the way from time to time and I may need to make some adjustments, but that is okay with me.

n-PULLING-YOURSELF-OUT-OF-A-RUT-large570.jpg

The challenge that I'm presented with here, is an opportunity to grow and to become stronger as a person. The more difficult the challenge, the greater opportunity for growth and strength.

This motivation and inspiration has propelled me forward throughout my entire journey. Becoming diagnosed at age 22, just four months after marriage was not what I was planning or prepared for. This challenged me to the very brink of what I believed I could endure. However, I overcame because I not only had God at the center of my life, I have an incredible husband, I've an amazing family and I absolutely refused to give up even though my life had been suddenly turned upside down.

2015-09-02-1441219107-2625387-girlcurtains-thumb.jpg

From the very beginning I've reminded myself and shared with others:

"Don't let epilepsy defeat you, let it inspire you."

Dietary fat could help with epilepsy...

Dietary fat could be more effective for epilepsy than current drugs
Nov. 25, 2015 - Researchers said the high-fat ketogenic diet may be a treatment option for people who are intolerant to standardly-used drugs.
A specific fatty acid that results from maintaining the ketogenic diet may be more effective at controlling epilepsy than many currently used drugs, according to a new study in England. The ketogenic diet consists of food high in fat, a moderate level of protein and almost no carbohydrates. According to researchers, the diet was identified in 1971 as a treatment for refractory epilepsy. In addition to being difficult to maintain, researchers had not been able to identify the aspect of the diet which prevented seizures in people with epilepsy.

Dietary-fat-could-be-more-effective-for-epilepsy-than-current-drugs.jpg

Researchers observed the strongly anti-epileptic effect of decanoic acid on mice brains, according to a new study.​

While the key factor was thought to be the production of ketones -- which the body produces to create energy in the absence of carbohydrates that can be turned into glucose -- researchers found decanoic acid actually acts to inhibit brain activity that causes seizures. "By examining the fats provided in the diet, we have identified a specific fatty acid that outperforms drugs currently used for controlling seizures, and that may have fewer side effects," said Robin Williams, a professor in from the Center for Biomedical Sciences at Royal Holloway, in a press release. Working with mice, researchers fed them the diet, investigating the effects of both decanoic acid and ketones on their brains. They found decanoic acid had significant anti-epileptic effects, while ketones had none at all.

While they acknowledge ketones may have other health benefits, the researchers suggest the potential of the ketogenic diet as treatment for some epilepsy patients future research may focus on deconoic acid. "This discovery will enable us to develop improved formulations that are now likely to significantly improve the treatment of epilepsy. It will offer a whole new approach to the management of epilepsies in children and adults," said Matthew Walker, a professor at University College London's Institute of Neurology. The study is published in the journal Brain.

Dietary fat could be more effective for epilepsy than current drugs

See also:

Study: Toddlers learn fat shaming from their mothers
Nov. 24, 2015 - "What is surprising, is that children are picking up on these things so early," study author Ted Ruffman said.
As obesity rates rise around the world, so have social stigmas. Studies show obesity prejudice and discrimination are increasingly common. And now new research shows such prejudice is a learned behavior that can be picked up while young. In a new study, published this week in the Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, behavioral scientists in New Zealand proved toddlers as young as 32 months adopted anti-fat attitudes from their mothers. Researchers at the University of Otago showed toddlers pictures of people with their faces blurred -- some obese, some thin. Younger toddlers tended to prefer looking at larger bodies, while toddlers 11 months and older preferred thinness.

Study-Toddlers-learn-fat-shaming-from-their-mothers.jpg

Toddlers as young as 11 months can pick up on the anti-fat attitudes of their mothers.​

Meanwhile, the toddlers' parents were given questionnaires to guage their attitudes toward obesity. The children of parents with the most anti-fat attitudes were more likely to prefer thin bodies. "It was a high correlation -- the more the mother had expressed anti-fat attitudes in the questionnaire, the more the older toddlers would look away from the obese figure towards the normal weight one," study author Ted Ruffman, a psychology professor at Otago, said in a press release. Ruffman and his colleagues looked at other factors -- the mother's body mass index, the amount of time a child spent in front of the TV -- but no correlations surfaced. The evidence shows, contrary to what some experts have argued, obesity prejudice is not inherent but learned, which researchers say is consistent with studies on other types of prejudice. "What is surprising, is that children are picking up on these things so early," Ruffman said.

Anti-fat attitudes aren't just impolite, Ruffman and his colleagues point out. They can also have negative impacts on the physical and mental health of those who are the targets of such prejudice. "Weight-based prejudice is causing significant social, psychological, and physical harms to those stigmatised," said co-author Kerry O'Brien, an assistant professor of psychology at Monash University. "It's driving body dissatisfaction and eating disorders in underweight populations; and social isolation, avoidance of exercise settings, and depression in very overweight populations," O'Brien added. "We need to find ways to address this prejudice."

Study: Toddlers learn fat shaming from their mothers

Medical pot or drug made from cannabis?...

Medical pot activists fear epilepsy drug could undercut them
April 17, 2016 — An experimental epilepsy drug made from cannabis plants grown in England is complicating the medical marijuana debate in hospitals and statehouses.
Epidiolex is a nearly pure extract of cannabidiol, or CBD, with little of the tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, that gets traditional pot users high. CBD products are the current rage in medicinal pot products, and activists fear that if the maker of Epidiolex manages to get FDA approval it could undercut the political momentum of the medical marijuana movement. Anup Patel, a pediatric neurologist who oversees Epidiolex (pronounced eh'-pih-DYE'-uh-lehx) clinical trials at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, insists the drug contains the optimal known marijuana compound for treating seizures. He cited a study that found children can be hurt by using the whole plant.

Patel laments that children with epilepsy are being used — including during an unsuccessful Ohio ballot campaign last year — to push for medical marijuana legalization. "People are mixing terms, mixing ideas," he said. "I'm not sure if that's just because of confusion, lack of knowledge or on purpose." Karmen Hanson, the expert on marijuana policy for the nonpartisan National Conference of State Legislatures, said the two sides are at odds. "The argument for traditional (whole-plant) medical marijuana is that people know what works for them — whether they're going to make their own concentrates or vape or combust, use flowered products, oils, you name it — so they want to protect their ability to do that," she said. "The other camp wants to see the head-to-head science, to give it more scientific validity, to elevate the products that are produced in terms of reliability and consistency."

2cab57b7ce644aaa8e29edaf8e3ec21b.jpg

Tara Cordle poses with her son, Waylon during a visit to Nationwide Childrens Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. Waylon has severe epilepsy. He takes Epidiolex, derived from the cannabidiol in marijuana, to control his seizures as part of a national trial.​

Patel is in Camp 2. He personally lobbied to get U.S. patients access to Epidiolex, which he said is effective, consistent and doesn't get users high. About two years ago, Patel persuaded London-based GW Pharmaceuticals to give him enough of the medicine for a single patient, and his hospital's study was born. Last month, the company released positive results of late-stage testing. It plans to take Epidiolex to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration later this year. The FDA has not yet found any botanical form of marijuana to be safe or effective to treat any disease or condition, spokesman Michael Felberbaum said. If approved, Epidiolex would be the first. Two synthetic cannabinoids — Marinol and Cesamet — are available. FDA approval would allow any doctor to prescribe Epidiolex to any patient, and it would be covered by insurance. No law or ballot issue would be required.

Many medical marijuana activists fear Epidiolex approval will mark the beginning of Big Pharma's takeover of the marijuana plant, undercutting patients' ability to treat themselves as they see fit. "We are not concerned with the pill (actually oil) form of a natural plant," said Wendy Johnson, who represents the Cannabis Safety Association in Ohio, where medical marijuana legislation was introduced last week. "In fact, it is looked upon very unfavorably and as a stumbling block on our way to whole plant." Twenty-three states now have comprehensive medical marijuana and cannabis programs — but 17 others have chosen only to permit use of "low THC, high cannabidiol" products, mostly mom-and-pop cannabis oils or hemp extracts.

MORE

See also:

[/b]Sanders: 'Take Marijuana Out of the Federal Controlled Substance Act'[/b]
April 15, 2016 | "We have got to have the guts to rethink the so-called war on drugs," Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said at Thursday's Democrat debate in Brooklyn.
He identified the issue as one of the differences between himself and his rival Hillary Clinton. "Too many lives have been destroyed because people possessed marijuana, millions over a 30-year period. And that is why I believe we should take marijuana out of the federal Controlled Substance Act," Sanders said. The crowd applauded his remark, which followed a discussion of crime and punishment.

pot-smokers.jpg

A view of the annual 4/20 marijuana festival in Denver.​

Sanders said the nation's criminal justice system is "broken." "We have more people in jail than any other country on Earth. And in my view, what we have got to do is rethink the system from the bottom on up. And that means, for a start -- and we don't talk about this. The media doesn't talk about it -- you got 51 percent of African-American kids today who graduated high school who are unemployed or underemployed. You know what I think? Maybe we invest in jobs and education for those kids, not jails and incarceration."

One of the debate moderators, Errol Louis, told Sanders: "You've said that by the end of your first term as president, the U.S. will no longer lead the world in mass incarceration. To fulfill that promise, you'd have to release roughly half a million prisoners. How are you going to do that, since the vast majority of American prisoners are not under federal jurisdiction?" "We're going to work with state governments all over this country," Sanders responded. "And you know what? In a very divided Congress, and a very divided politics in America, actually the one area where there is some common ground is conservatives understand that it's insane to be spending $80 billion a year locking up 2.2 million people. "With federal and presidential leadership, we will work with state governments to make sure that people are released from jail under strong supervision, that they get the kind of job training and education they need so they can return to their communities. On this one, Errol, actually I think you're going to see progressive and conservative support. We can do it, if we're prepared to be bold."

Sanders: 'Take Marijuana Out of the Federal Controlled Substance Act'

Last edited:

Forum List

Back