Roberts, Appallingly Free of Failure????

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Too Perfect to Know the People?

By Richard Cohen

Thursday, September 8, 2005; Page A29

I sometimes think the best thing that ever happened to me was, at the time, the worst: I flunked out of college. I did so for the usual reasons -- painfully bored with school and distracted by life itself -- and so I went to work for an insurance company while I plowed ahead at night school. From there I went into the Army, emerging with a storehouse of anecdotes. In retrospect, I learned more by failing than I ever would have by succeeding. I wish that John Roberts had a touch of my incompetence.

Instead, the nominee for chief justice of the United States punched every career ticket right on schedule. He was raised in affluence, educated in private schools, dispatched to Harvard and then to Harvard Law School. He clerked for a U.S. appellate judge (the storied Henry J. Friendly) and later for William H. Rehnquist, then an associate justice. Roberts worked in the Justice Department and then in the White House until moving on to Hogan & Hartson, one of Washington's most prestigious law firms; then he was principal deputy solicitor general, before moving to the bench, where he has served for only two years. His record is appallingly free of failure.
I envy him for it and admire him as well. He has the sort of first-class intellect, not to mention an impish sense of humor, that commends itself to the high court. We would not want a dunce or a mediocrity to decide the sort of matters that come before the court. Unlike, say, the presidency, the Supreme Court is no place for a sluggish thinker who thinks -- if that is the word -- that in the schools the non-theory of "intelligent design" ought to be taught along with the theory of evolution. (What next, alchemy and chemistry?) But when Sandra Day O'Connor leaves the Supreme Court, it will be without any member who has spent so much as a day as an elected official. Roberts will not change that. He, too, never worked the beach on Labor Day. If he has a politician's talent -- not weakness -- for compromise, we don't know it. If he has great leadership qualities -- or any at all -- we don't know it. If he can bring unanimity where it matters -- as Earl Warren did in 1954 with the school desegregation decision -- we don't know it. All we really know is that he is young (50), smart and makes, as they say, a nice appearance.

But it is not only the lack of political experience that I rue today, it is also the lack of life experiences that makes me wonder. Just before writing this column, I came across an obituary for Theodore Sarbin, a social psychologist who died Aug. 31 at the nice age of 94. Sarbin's claim to newspaper space was his 1988 report recommending that the military stop discriminating against gays and lesbians. This is the sentence that caught my attention: "As a young man, he rode the rails as a hobo, an experience he would later say helped him identify with people on the margins of society." The best Roberts could do in this respect was to work summers in a steel mill. He shared the work -- but not the plight.

Failure has its uses. Among other things, it can teach us about the human condition. It took a certain kind of cold arrogance to come up with the evacuation plan that New Orleans devised: Get everyone out of town. But what about those who could not get out of town? What about those with no cars or those already living on the streets? In other words, what about the very poor?

The poor? It's as if the idiots up and down the line never heard of them. It's as if no one at the top of the Federal Emergency Management Agency or at the White House knew they existed. Check that. They knew, but it was theoretical: Oh, they'll manage. The thinking was summed up in the sorry remark of Barbara Bush while she was visiting flood evacuees at a Houston relocation site. Since the refugees sent to Houston were poor to start with, she said, "this is working very well for them." Madam, bite thy tongue.

If I had a vote in the Senate, I would not deny it to Roberts based on his lack of tough times -- nor, for that matter, would I have granted one to Clarence Thomas, who had plenty of them. But when it comes to civil rights, to women's rights, to workers' rights, to gay rights and to the plight of the poor, I would prefer that Roberts had had his moment of failure. He will lead one branch of the government. I wish he knew more about all of the people.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...9/07/AR2005090702134.html?nav=hcmodule&sub=AR

So now John Roberts is too smart, too perfect, and too wonderful to serve on the bench!! This really takes the cake!! LOL liberals are so duplicitous they are laughable. Once again success is only reserved for liberal elites...Pathetic but telling.

Bonnie said:
Too Perfect to Know the People?

By Richard Cohen

Thursday, September 8, 2005; Page A29

I sometimes think the best thing that ever happened to me was, at the time, the worst: I flunked out of college. I did so for the usual reasons -- painfully bored with school and distracted by life itself -- and so I went to work for an insurance company while I plowed ahead at night school. From there I went into the Army, emerging with a storehouse of anecdotes. In retrospect, I learned more by failing than I ever would have by succeeding. I wish that John Roberts had a touch of my incompetence.

Instead, the nominee for chief justice of the United States punched every career ticket right on schedule. He was raised in affluence, educated in private schools, dispatched to Harvard and then to Harvard Law School. He clerked for a U.S. appellate judge (the storied Henry J. Friendly) and later for William H. Rehnquist, then an associate justice. Roberts worked in the Justice Department and then in the White House until moving on to Hogan & Hartson, one of Washington's most prestigious law firms; then he was principal deputy solicitor general, before moving to the bench, where he has served for only two years. His record is appallingly free of failure.
I envy him for it and admire him as well. He has the sort of first-class intellect, not to mention an impish sense of humor, that commends itself to the high court. We would not want a dunce or a mediocrity to decide the sort of matters that come before the court. Unlike, say, the presidency, the Supreme Court is no place for a sluggish thinker who thinks -- if that is the word -- that in the schools the non-theory of "intelligent design" ought to be taught along with the theory of evolution. (What next, alchemy and chemistry?) But when Sandra Day O'Connor leaves the Supreme Court, it will be without any member who has spent so much as a day as an elected official. Roberts will not change that. He, too, never worked the beach on Labor Day. If he has a politician's talent -- not weakness -- for compromise, we don't know it. If he has great leadership qualities -- or any at all -- we don't know it. If he can bring unanimity where it matters -- as Earl Warren did in 1954 with the school desegregation decision -- we don't know it. All we really know is that he is young (50), smart and makes, as they say, a nice appearance.

But it is not only the lack of political experience that I rue today, it is also the lack of life experiences that makes me wonder. Just before writing this column, I came across an obituary for Theodore Sarbin, a social psychologist who died Aug. 31 at the nice age of 94. Sarbin's claim to newspaper space was his 1988 report recommending that the military stop discriminating against gays and lesbians. This is the sentence that caught my attention: "As a young man, he rode the rails as a hobo, an experience he would later say helped him identify with people on the margins of society." The best Roberts could do in this respect was to work summers in a steel mill. He shared the work -- but not the plight.

Failure has its uses. Among other things, it can teach us about the human condition. It took a certain kind of cold arrogance to come up with the evacuation plan that New Orleans devised: Get everyone out of town. But what about those who could not get out of town? What about those with no cars or those already living on the streets? In other words, what about the very poor?

The poor? It's as if the idiots up and down the line never heard of them. It's as if no one at the top of the Federal Emergency Management Agency or at the White House knew they existed. Check that. They knew, but it was theoretical: Oh, they'll manage. The thinking was summed up in the sorry remark of Barbara Bush while she was visiting flood evacuees at a Houston relocation site. Since the refugees sent to Houston were poor to start with, she said, "this is working very well for them." Madam, bite thy tongue.

If I had a vote in the Senate, I would not deny it to Roberts based on his lack of tough times -- nor, for that matter, would I have granted one to Clarence Thomas, who had plenty of them. But when it comes to civil rights, to women's rights, to workers' rights, to gay rights and to the plight of the poor, I would prefer that Roberts had had his moment of failure. He will lead one branch of the government. I wish he knew more about all of the people.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...9/07/AR2005090702134.html?nav=hcmodule&sub=AR

So now John Roberts is too smart, too perfect, and too wonderful to serve on the bench!! This really takes the cake!! LOL liberals are so duplicitous they are laughable. Once again success is only reserved for liberal elites...Pathetic but telling.

LOL OMG--Now I've almost heard everything. Do they have any idea what they look like or ability to hear themselves ???

dilloduck said:
LOL OMG--Now I've almost heard everything. Do they have any idea what they look like or ability to hear themselves ???

It's mindblowing!! :wtf:

Bonnie said:

I bet Roberts doesn't even know what it's like to drive around shit faced drunk, go off a bridge, drown your passanger and leave the scene of an accident---he's SOOOO out of touch with the common man . :huh:

Bonnie said:

Me thinks it is time for some "chili&beans" garlic toast and beer...then I can blow my mind...ops blow it somewhere else...cause all this political BS is giving me a "Headache"! Sorry just a grunts opinion... :thup:

If they are going to sink this low to try to criticize Roberts, at least we know for sure there are no real skeletons in his closet.

This thinking reminds me of the that eternal Hollywood fantasy about the "hooker with a heart of gold". Only the economically and morally challenged in our society can really "feel" or understand the downtrodden. Libs eat that nonsense up, and package it for the rest of us to choke down.

dilloduck said:
I bet Roberts doesn't even know what it's like to drive around shit faced drunk, go off a bridge, drown your passanger and leave the scene of an accident---he's SOOOO out of touch with the common man . :huh:

This post is just delicious.

:thewave:

Abbey Normal said:
If they are going to sink this low to try to criticize Roberts, at least we know for sure there are no real skeletons in his closet.

This thinking reminds me of the that eternal Hollywood fantasy about the "hooker with a heart of gold". Only the economically and morally challenged in our society can really "feel" or understand. Libs eat that nonsense up, and package it for the rest of us to choke down.

Seems to me they charge for a moment of bliss...maybe they are refering to their bank accounts...kinda like attorney's who charge a arm and leg to put one through hell!...Just a simple thought to put this into perspective! :rolleyes:

This suprises you?

Liberals do not value success. They hate it. Successful people are happy, which is unfair to unsuccessful people who are unhappy. Their most celebrated leaders are Jimmy Carter, the worst US president in history, and Howard Dean, who only won his home state in the primaries.

Cohen barely conceals his hatred of white gentiles in this column. To him, "perfect" is synonmous with button-nosed, Harvard-going white Christian-hood, and that IS EVIL and must be destroyed. Jews like their gentiles flawed, not clean-cut like an SS officer. That scares them.

theim said:
This suprises you?

Liberals do not value success. They hate it. Successful people are happy, which is unfair to unsuccessful people who are unhappy. Their most celebrated leaders are Jimmy Carter, the worst US president in history, and Howard Dean, who only won his home state in the primaries.

Jimmy Carter and dont' forget Fidel

Bonnie said:
Jimmy Carter and dont' forget Fidel

No, Fidel's Cuba is only crappy because of facist Bushitler's Amerikkka, who in their arrogance just decided that freedom and democracy were better than absolute dictatorship. I mean, who are WE to decide what's better? Who are WE to judge that rights are better than no rights? Those people can all read! What the hell more can they want? As long as people can read good and have good healthcare, any who want to be more successful is just wishing for excess. Greedy bastards. You got your free education and healthcare, now shut the hell up. It would even be better if these greedy people, who wanted freedom (gag), would just "go away". Freedom is just freedom to be more successful than others. And what is the point of that? The Workers' Paradise must be totally equal, so as to avoid jealousy, and everyone can be happy.

Or miserable. But hey, at least nobody will be happy, which will still prevent jealousy. Misery loves company. So the leaders got their cheap labor and productive paradise, and everyone else is "equal". Everyone's happy! Well, not happy, but...you know...sorta like...uh....yeah...hey, are you doubting Papa Fidel? Maybe you need to be reeducated.

dilloduck said:

Yeah. if he did that id vote for him for President:p:

dilloduck said:

I bet he didn't even have invent the internet! or have a relationship with his intern....

Dang. Appallingly free of failure?

If that is anything other than appealing to the lowest common denominator I don't know what it is. We shouldn't allow him to be Chief Justice because he is successful? We need a successful and failure-free Chief Justice. If this is the best they can do there is no doubt at all this man will be approved by the Senate.

no1tovote4 said:
Dang. Appallingly free of failure?

If that is anything other than appealing to the lowest common denominator I don't know what it is. We shouldn't allow him to be Chief Justice because he is successful? We need a successful and failure-free Chief Justice. If this is the best they can do there is no doubt at all this man will be approved by the Senate.

See my theory here is that intelligent happy people want better for everyone not just themselves. Contrast that with Liberal elitists who only want success for themselves and everyone else get crumbs and mediocrity, this way the elites can stay elite and the rest can look lovingly UP at them as their brilliant compassionate saviours....

dilloduck said:

I bet he doesn't even know there are many personal uses for cigars...

Forum List

Back