Robert Tilton - Convicted TV Preacher

ajwps

Nov 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Found this offending attempt at humor about a TV preacher who has been convicted of taking money from the elderly and the disabled by promising to pray over their checks and requests for help. He continues to make millions of dollars a month after serving time in jail.

The money and requests for help were sent directly to Tilton's bank which opened the envelopes, deposited the checks in his personal account and threw all the prayer requests in the large garbage container at the back of the bank. Turn on your speakers to hear this man who comes in the guise of a preacher.

If this kind of video offends you do not click on the link.

http://roberttilton.homestead.com/Sinner1.html

ajwps said:
Found this offending attempt at humor about a TV preacher who has been convicted of taking money from the elderly and the disabled by promising to pray over their checks and requests for help. He continues to make millions of dollars a month after serving time in jail.

The money and requests for help were sent directly to Tilton's bank which opened the envelopes, deposited the checks in his personal account and threw all the prayer requests in the large garbage container at the back of the bank. Turn on your speakers to hear this man who comes in the guise of a preacher.

If this kind of video offends you do not click on the link.

http://roberttilton.homestead.com/Sinner1.html

Robert Tilton, Jimmy Swaggart, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, et al are nothing more than the modern day equivalent of the money changers in the temple. They offer false promises of hope for the "love gifts" of those desperate enough, or ignorant enough to believe their rantings. And they never apologize for their failures..."It was Gawd's will...", one of the most pathetic and ill-used excuses imaginable for their sins, which are many.

But the clip had me ROFLMAO! :laugh:

It is very sad, IMO, that people distort the Gospel into a money-making scheme. But the majority of the Christian Church, both in America and abroad, does not make money the focus of their worship, as Mr. Tilton obviously does.

gop_jeff said:
It is very sad, IMO, that people distort the Gospel into a money-making scheme. But the majority of the Christian Church, both in America and abroad, does not make money the focus of their worship, as Mr. Tilton obviously does.

Well it seems that these preachers of MONEY are mentioned in the NT book of Luke.

Luke 21:8

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

ajwps said:
Well it seems that these preachers of MONEY are mentioned in the NT book of Luke.

Unfortunately some Americans believe that besides power and freedom ,money will also buy religious miracles.

It has been my experience that anyone who declares he comes in the name of god, claims he's doing the work of god, or says that god told him/her to do something is most likely doing it for purely selfish reasons and because nobody would pay attention otherwise.

DKSuddeth said:
It has been my experience that anyone who declares he comes in the name of god, claims he's doing the work of god, or says that god told him/her to do something is most likely doing it for purely selfish reasons and because nobody would pay attention otherwise.

Certainly this is the case in many instances. But I think that one could tell if the person has good or bad intentions by his actions. As Jesus said, "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil." (Matthew 12:33-35, emphasis added)

dilloduck said:
Unfortunately some Americans believe that besides power and freedom ,money will also buy religious miracles.

Many elderly and disabled Americans are homebound and unable to attend local church services.

Their only source to the Church is on the TV and the word. Unfortunately there are sharks that prey on these people by using one or two sentences from the NT that refer to tithing or paying to the Lord in order to be saved or get your money back ten-fold.

Many of these poor souls take part of their rent money, food money, medicine money or utility bill money and send it to these thieves who know how to sell their promises to these people. Once one of these people send in a few dollars, they become inundated with mail requests for money from the TV preacher. They sometimes send them a religious trinket in the mail so that more money will pour into their coffers.

I used to love to hear about the blessed prayer rags the unwary gets for the money they send to reverend on TV.

When these peope need to talk to a minister or priest, they have a real problem getting hold of the TV preacher.

ajwps said:
Many elderly and disabled Americans are homebound and unable to attend local church services.

Their only source to the Church is on the TV and the word. Unfortunately there are sharks that prey on these people by using one or two sentences from the NT that refer to tithing or paying to the Lord in order to be saved or get your money back ten-fold.

Many of these poor souls take part of their rent money, food money, medicine money or utility bill money and send it to these thieves who know how to sell their promises to these people. Once one of these people send in a few dollars, they become inundated with mail requests for money from the TV preacher. They sometimes send them a religious trinket in the mail so that more money will pour into their coffers.

I used to love to hear about the blessed prayer rags the unwary gets for the money they send to reverend on TV.

When these peope need to talk to a minister or priest, they have a real problem getting hold of the TV preacher.

Thats why the youth in the churches they cant make it to should help them make it from time to time.

Thats why the youth in the churches they cant make it to should help them make it from time to time.

Unfortunately there are so many older and disabled people without a family who are unkown to the youth in churches or anywhere else. The only one that knows these people or the Social Security System and the pittance they send to them monthly.

Even if people wanted to help, there is no way to find these people living out their lives in poverty and misery in small apartments.

No one knows they exist.

I wouldn't go that far aj. There are many churches that cater especially to handicapped and/or disabled people who will pick said people up for church. Many advertise in the phone book. So while I agree that many TV preachers don't usually connect personally with their TV viewers, there are ways for people to connect with pastors/preachers.

gop_jeff said:
I wouldn't go that far aj. There are many churches that cater especially to handicapped and/or disabled people who will pick said people up for church. Many advertise in the phone book. So while I agree that many TV preachers don't usually connect personally with their TV viewers, there are ways for people to connect with pastors/preachers.

I guess that would apply to a large percentage of these folks but in some cities with millions of people, I can tell you personally that I have heard that thousands upons thousands cannot be moved from their home beds or apartments or that simply get lost the in shuffle.

There are so many old and mentally handicapped peope that don't even have anyone to go and buy them food, medicine or even take them to doctors. Much of this is due to the fact that when these people were young, for one reason or another, they never had any children. They have no living relatives and have no access to anything but their little apartment TV sets.

There is no way to count the hundreds upon thousands of Americans that have no access to just about anything or any family service facilities.

ajwps said:
I guess that would apply to a large percentage of these folks but in some cities with millions of people, I can tell you personally that I have heard that thousands upons thousands cannot be moved from their home beds or apartments or that simply get lost the in shuffle.

There are so many old and mentally handicapped peope that don't even have anyone to go and buy them food, medicine or even take them to doctors. Much of this is due to the fact that when these people were young, for one reason or another, they never had any children. They have no living relatives and have no access to anything but their little apartment TV sets.

There is no way to count the hundreds upon thousands of Americans that have no access to just about anything or any family service facilities.
but they have enough to send bucks to a TV preacher?-----sounds just plain ignorant to me!

dilloduck said:
but they have enough to send bucks to a TV preacher?-----sounds just plain ignorant to me!

Sometimes you have to understand the mentality of older people who are facing their mortalities. They hear a preacher that tells them sending in the money they need to eat in order to do 'the LORD'S work' they can buy their dispenstion to heaven.

Preacher Tilton actually tells his audience, he does not want those who can afford to send in money but emphasizes to those who have nothing but the few bucks they need to live to send in their money.

He promises a reward of getting money rewards here and now and in the hereafter. This guy is the lowest form of life.

ajwps said:
Sometimes you have to understand the mentality of older people who are facing their mortalities. They hear a preacher that tells them sending in the money they need to eat in order to do 'the LORD'S work' they can buy their dispenstion to heaven.

Preacher Tilton actually tells his audience, he does not want those who can afford to send in money but emphasizes to those who have nothing but the few bucks they need to live to send in their money.

He promises a reward of getting money rewards here and now and in the hereafter. This guy is the lowest form of life.

doesn't have anything to do with age or mentality-----it's ignorant to think you can buy your way into heaven. Is this guy any different than the millions of TV ads that tell you that you are stupid etc if you don't give your money to them?

dilloduck said:
doesn't have anything to do with age or mentality-----it's ignorant to think you can buy your way into heaven. Is this guy any different than the millions of TV ads that tell you that you are stupid etc if you don't give your money to them?

Cash purchase of a ticket to heaven (payed dispensation) was common in the old Catholic Church. Like Barnum said, there are suckers born every minute.

Why are there so many people who buy 'junk' on the Home Buying Channels? Remember there are only a few left before they are all gone. The Bible gives a reference about tithing a small percent of your earnings for the poor.

An entire group of TV preachers have changed that Biblical concept into giving your monetary goods to them and mysteriously G-d will return your American greenbacks to you in spades.

You had better buy your ticket for a seat on that golden train to heaven before they are all gone. Never mind that you can't afford the ticket, it is an investment because the TV guy said so.

Forum List

Back