Robert Reich Laughed at and Mocked on CNBC

This doesn't mitigate the fact that people use WW2 as the basis for the US getting out of the GD.

If that's what it really took us to strengthen our economy, then I'd rather be poor.

Japan sneaked us. We dropped some bombs on them. All of the rest of the bullshit wasn't necessary. We were attacked around the beginning of the war, and waited until the END to finally retaliate against our original aggressors.

Everything in between those two events was nonsense.

My impression in reading the above is that you are joking or you have a serious misunderstanding of history as regards the conflict in the Pacific. A lot of very brave young men died in the Pacific Theater of the war. That island hopping campaign was expensive in human life. We finally got close enough so we could fly bombers from the islands near Japan. We were in a position to be able to bomb Japan back to the stone age. Being able to do so and demonstrating it in marked fashion brought an end to the war.

I suppose you misunderstood what I meant. We spent 4 years fighting against other countries that had nothing to do with attacking us. Japan attacked us. Why that means we should just go all in and spend 4 years fighting in the entire world war, I'll never understand.

This doesn't mitigate the fact that people use WW2 as the basis for the US getting out of the GD.

If that's what it really took us to strengthen our economy, then I'd rather be poor.

Japan sneaked us. We dropped some bombs on them. All of the rest of the bullshit wasn't necessary. We were attacked around the beginning of the war, and waited until the END to finally retaliate against our original aggressors.

My impression in reading the above is that you are joking or you have a serious misunderstanding of history as regards the conflict in the Pacific. A lot of very brave young men died in the Pacific Theater of the war. That island hopping campaign was expensive in human life. We finally got close enough so we could fly bombers from the islands near Japan. We were in a position to be able to bomb Japan back to the stone age. Being able to do so and demonstrating it in marked fashion brought an end to the war.

I suppose you misunderstood what I meant. We spent 4 years fighting against other countries that had nothing to do with attacking us. Japan attacked us. Why that means we should just go all in and spend 4 years fighting in the entire world war, I'll never understand.

FDR's insanity. We fought the Germans in Africa ferChristsake!!! How can Dems support that?

Thank you. Indeed, I am wrong (I hate it when that happens! It is so embarrassing to not be right all of the time.) when they are right, but that was not the issue. The question was, am I right about economist theory occasionally being wrong?
Most of economic "theory" is mere hypothesis, backed up with charts and graphs attempting to prove the physically unprovable. The hard and fast rules are few and far between.

That it is even occasionally wrong makes it a poor tool (like there's a good one to begin with) for centralized command and control of economies.

But don't tell that to the Keynesian witch doctors.
OMG! Yes! I have learned to stay away from witch doctors. I know that they have mojo, and it works. Seriously, my first encounter with witch doctors was in the South Seas on the island of Tutuila in the Samoan Island chain way back in 1954. My stunningly beautiful step mother, a teenage girl who was my fathers 1000th mistress and eventual fourth wife Talila (Dad was a activen womanizer) was the "Volike" (Spoiled One who passed on the royal title to her oldest son. I am her oldest son by marriage [but not by blood] and thus have the right to claim to be the King of Samoa, but would never do so because I would be killed or hoodooed soon after making that claim.) was put under a spell because some of the local practitioners of the ancient Samoan witchcraft arts took exception to the fact that the Volike was breeding with a Palangi (The name of a foul tasting white fish that the Samoans use to derisively refer to people of European descent. Dad was a blond haired blue eyed German American -- see my Facebook photo album. Login | Facebook ). Talila was wasting away and near death and modern medical science could do nothing for her so dad hired a local witchdoctor to "heal" (remove the curse) her. The witchdoctor took leaves from two tropical plants and beat them into a poultice and at midnight applied it to Talila's body and then proceeded to beat her naked body so severely that one would be certain that she would be heavily bruised and possibly have broken ribs and other fractured bones. After an hour of beating, the witchdoctor told my father that Talila would be healed when the sun came up and the evil spirit that had been sent to kill her would have to flee. Dad was not to wash the poultice off of her, but was to leave her in the bed in her unconscious state. In the morning when the first rays of sunlight shined in on her, she awakened, and was back to normal within minutes. The evil spirit was gone, and it never returned. Witchdoctors have power. By the way, Talila had no broken bones and not one bruise on her body. The evil spirit was bruised and broken, but not her. The poultice was used to reach into the spirit world in order to beat the spirit out of Talila.

So we just ignore Germany declaring war on us?

Germany never Attacked us! (My Insane Post 9/11 Librul Imitation)

Paulie, Paulie, Paulie! What are we going to do with you son? Those other countries had something to do with attacking us. I suggest you read up on unrestricted Submarine warfare and the fact that Hitler and Mussolini declared war on us. I lost a lot of my German Relatives in WWII in Germany due to carpet bombing of German Cities by the US Army Air Force. I would much sooner that we did not have to fight against Germany and that we could have just wiped Japan off of the surface of the earth as a lesson to any future power not to mess with us.

We need to do a nut sack check and if we do still have our balls as a country, wage all out war against Radical Islam and remove them from the surface of the Earth...... That means killing them where ever they are found. North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa. Anywhere and everywhere they hide, they should be snuffed out.

Last edited:
Keynes is a "real" economist. It isn't a serious statement to say otherwise.

......... the sky is blue.

The sky is blue most of the time except for when it is overcast. Keynes was a real economist and his theories are right most of the time except for when they are not.

My understanding of economists is that most of them are divided on theory, and that the theory seems to explain most of what happens except for when it does not. Right now we are starting to see one of those "does not" phases in the global and national economy.

Am I right or am I wrong?

One can agree or disagree with what Keynes said but he made enormous contributions to the study of economics, much of what is now considered to be standard economic theory taught in Econ 101.

I have shared many a beer with several of the Flying Tigers. In the late sixties several of them were living down in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico in the winter and used to gather for beers and idle talk in the Social Bar in the central plaza in Manzanillo. Though they could fly fighters out of southern China to support the non communist Chinese element, they were all in agreement that we could not launch consistent heavy bombing runs against Japan from China (distance, logistics and massive corruption). I will answer any query that questions our fighting men conduct in WWII. I am an historian and ex military officer and will not see the brave sacrifice of our men in that war with Japan maligned in any way. Provided there is no further comment on this topic, I will end my responses here.
My point was not, in any way, about the men themselves...The father of my departed best friend was ground crewman for them.

The point was that they were ultimately tools of the FDR administration, in provoking war with Japan....If you know your historical dates, you know that to be true.

Thank you. Indeed, I am wrong (I hate it when that happens! It is so embarrassing to not be right all of the time.) when they are right, but that was not the issue. The question was, am I right about economist theory occasionally being wrong?
Most of economic "theory" is mere hypothesis, backed up with charts and graphs attempting to prove the physically unprovable. The hard and fast rules are few and far between.

This is incorrect.

Modern economics is almost purely empirically and data driven. You cannot be an economist anymore without being a highly-trained mathematician. For example, what is known as "The Chicago School" is not really about free markets but is about empiricism.

The criticisms of modern economics is that the empiricism is too detached from the real world.

The problem with this framework is that the economists make assumptions in their models about human behavior that is not often correct to support the idea that markets always clear.

People who make assumptions that markets always clear make the following assumptions

1. People are always or most often are rational.
2. People maximize utility.
3. The distributions of outcomes follow a Gaussian or "normal" distribution curve that looks like a bell curve.

People who model the idea that markets always clear believe that bubbles cannot happen, that people do not get scared or greedy, and that there will always be enough liquidity in the world to facilitate transactions.

Anyone who has walked outside their door over the past decade knows that all of these are patently false.

Markets create the most wealth for the most people most of the time. But the academic idea that markets always work is about as an irrelevant idea as any from pointy-headed academics that conservatives so like to mock.

No they aren't.

Keynesian cargo cultists treat his hypotheses and theories as though they are physically verified scientific phenomena, like aerodynamics or meteorology. Proceeding as such, which about 90% of academe and 99.9% of political hacks do, is not significantly more intellectually developed than throwing vestal virgins into the volcano to make the copra crop come in.

You've got to be kidding?

Melissa Frances - an actress who played a girl on Little House on the Prairie and who is now a mid-day anchor on a network with viewership of 250,00 a day - chuckles at what Robert Reich - a Rhodes Scholar, Ph.D., professor at Harvard and former Secretary of Labor - says and this is thread-worthy?

Surely, this is a joke.

What next, Paris Hilton laughing at Hillary Clinton?

50+% youth unemployment. AAA credit in jeopardy. The Dollar no longer the world reserve currency. Nuclear Iran testing missiles and Obama goes to Denmark.

Yeah, there's a joke in there and it's called the Obama Administration and the Pelosi Congress

Youth unemployment is not 50%.

AAA rating is not in jeopardy (yet).

The dollar is still the world's reserve currency.

Why are you letting facts get in the way of a good rant?

This is incorrect.

Modern economics is almost purely empirically and data driven. You cannot be an economist anymore without being a highly-trained mathematician. For example, what is known as "The Chicago School" is not really about free markets but is about empiricism.

The criticisms of modern economics is that the empiricism is too detached from the real world.
Which it is.
The problem with this framework is that the economists make assumptions in their models about human behavior that is not often correct to support the idea that markets always clear.

People who make assumptions that markets always clear make the following assumptions

1. People are always or most often are rational.
2. People maximize utility.
3. The distributions of outcomes follow a Gaussian or "normal" distribution curve that looks like a bell curve.
And the problem with pointy headed Keynesian ivory tower dwellers is that they think they're smart enough to determine what is best for millions of people whom they don't even know.

I'll take the former hallucinations over the latter any day of the week.

Markets create the most wealth for the most people most of the time. But the academic idea that markets always work is about as an irrelevant idea as any from pointy-headed academics that conservatives so like to mock.
Markets, like water, seek their own levels. Keynesian witch doctors live off the premise that they can make water run uphill.

And the problem with pointy headed Keynesian ivory tower dwellers is that they think they're smart enough to determine what is best for millions of people whom they don't even know.

So do you, but that doesn't stop you from posting.

No they aren't.

Keynesian cargo cultists treat his hypotheses and theories as though they are physically verified scientific phenomena, like aerodynamics or meteorology.

And how does this differ from free market "cultists?" It is no different.

People who believe that free markets are always most efficient believe that people are always rational. How many people do you know who are always rational? Some who worship at the alter of free market religion argue with a serious face that all unemployment is voluntary, and that workers are taking a vacation from work.

This premise is being demolished not by Keynesians but by behavioral economists and neuroeconomics.

And comparing Mengele to Keynes is a ridiculous analogy. Only a slightly less ridiculous analogy would have been a comparison of Mengele to the Austrians such as von Mises. At least Mengele is more modern than the Austrian school of thought.

So do you, but that doesn't stop you from posting.

His idea of economics doesn't presume to offer anything that is considered "best" for people.

His idea is to let the people themselves decide what is best. In a free market, I can decide my potential fate. If I fail, then at least I failed on my own merits.

His idea of economics doesn't presume to offer anything that is considered "best" for people.

His idea is to let the people themselves decide what is best. In a free market, I can decide my potential fate. If I fail, then at least I failed on my own merits.

I was speaking more in general. Is that right Dude? No offense Paulie, unless you are his spokesman. :lol:

Did they fire a shot?

They declared war mere DAYS after Japan bombed us. They took advantage of our mindset at the time and knew their words would draw us in.

Hitler knew he couldn't come over here and conquer us, so he got us to go over there and offer ourselves up to him. Maybe if he can get us to use over military all around the world, it would weaken us to a point where he could potentially take us.

He didn't anticipate that we'd be dropping nuclear bombs, though. Otherwise, maybe the ending would have been different.

We don't automatically win wars just because we're America.

Bottom line, it was a stupid war and Germany didn't have shit on us. Japan is who attacked us, and Japan is who we should have focused on.

But what do I know, I'm just a wacko non-interventionist. :rolleyes:

No they aren't.

Keynesian cargo cultists treat his hypotheses and theories as though they are physically verified scientific phenomena, like aerodynamics or meteorology.

And how does this differ from free market "cultists?" It is no different.

People who believe that free markets are always most efficient believe that people are always rational. How many people do you know who are always rational? Some who worship at the alter of free market religion argue with a serious face that all unemployment is voluntary, and that workers are taking a vacation from work.

This premise is being demolished not by Keynesians but by behavioral economists and neuroeconomics.

And comparing Mengele to Keynes is a ridiculous analogy. Only a slightly less ridiculous analogy would have been a comparison of Mengele to the Austrians such as von Mises. At least Mengele is more modern than the Austrian school of thought.
Any economic technocracy attempting to run the whole system is voodoo. The problem with the Keynesian technocrats is that they think the technocrats are always rational.

Anyone with the sense the good Lord gave them can figure out that markets are always going to be chaotic, to the point of being worse than weather. It's the people who claim that they can force order out of chaos who are more of a threat to economic stability than the chaos itself.

See: the "war" on (some) drugs.

Forum List

Back