Robert Gates on Meet the Press

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
'I think the No-Fly-Zone aspect of the mission has been accomplished'

What? The No-Fly-Zone aspect of the mission? I thought the White House said the No-Fly-Zone was the mission?

March 27th: Mission Creep is now official

Tell us, Mister Gates, just what is the rest of the mission?

Last edited:

What? The No-Fly-Zone aspect of the mission? I thought the White House said the No-Fly-Zone was the mission?

Stop a massacre?

• Banned

Stop a massacre?
We were told the No-Fly-Zone was what we were doing to achieve that.

According to Gates, that mission objective has been achieved.

So.... why are we still in Libya? Why are we attacking new targets not related to the ability of planes to take-off and fly?

possum wavin' bye-bye with a lil' tear in his eye like dat lil' boy in dat movie Shane...
:confused:
CIA director Panetta to replace Gates as secretary of defense
Thu, Apr 28, 2011 - CIA Director Leon Panetta will become the new US secretary of defense, while General David Petraeus will replace him, in a major shakeup of US President Barack Obama’s security team, ABC and NBC television reported yesterday.
A US official said Panetta’s nomination would be announced later this week. The positions would require Senate confirmation, suggesting the changes would not occur for some weeks or even months. Panetta is to replace US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, who has said he plans to step down later this year.

The television networks reported that Petraeus, the commander leading military operations in Afghanistan, will be replaced by Lieutenant General John Allen, who is currently deputy head of US Central Command.

CIA director Panetta to replace Gates as secretary of defense - Taipei Times

See also:

Sources: Petraeus to be nominated to head CIA
4/27/2011 WASHINGTON — Agency director Panetta expected to become Defense Secretary, replacing Robert Gates
In a major U.S. national security reshuffle, President Barack Obama is sending CIA Director Leon Panetta to the Pentagon to replace Robert Gates, a widely praised Bush holdover, and replacing Panetta at the spy agency with Gen. David Petraeus, the high-profile commander of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Obama's changes, expected to be announced at the White House on Thursday, also will include a new ambassador and war commander in Afghanistan. However, they do not signal any major adjustment in the president's Afghan strategy or the fight against violent extremism.

The moves cement a planned reduction of U.S. forces in Afghanistan in July and allow Obama to replace Gates, a Republican, with a Democrat with partisan credentials. That appointment also diminishes speculation that Petraeus might become a Republican presidential challenger in 2012. In the largest change, Gates would step down after managing the turnaround of the Iraq war under President George W. Bush and the expansion of the Afghanistan war under Obama. He told top Pentagon staff Wednesday that he had recommended Panetta as his successor six months ago.

Gates plans to retire on June 30, officials said, and the White House hopes to win Senate confirmation for Panetta before then. Petraeus would remain in his battlefield job for a few months while the first of the approximately 100,000 U.S. forces in Afghanistan withdraw. Petraeus plans to retire from the Army before assuming the CIA job in the fall, officials said. Marine Corps Lt. Gen. John Allen will move from his post as deputy commander of U.S. Central Command in Florida to take over the Afghan campaign, and veteran diplomat Ryan Crocker will become U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, officials said. All the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the changes had not yet been announced by the White House.

Stay-the-course approach

Last edited:

Stop a massacre?

I guess the people of Iran wanting independence wasn't important enough for this? Or maybe berry did not have the balls to face mamood ackmamonkey face.

Stop a massacre?

I guess the people of Iran wanting independence wasn't important enough for this? Or maybe berry did not have the balls to face mamood ackmamonkey face.

You mean like when George W. Bush led a special forces team against Saddam Hussien's strong hold and with his bare fists took the gun out of his hands and knocked him silly?

That was great..wasn't it?

Stop a massacre?

You mean like when George W. Bush led a special forces team against Saddam Hussien's strong hold and with his bare fists took the gun out of his hands and knocked him silly?

That was great..wasn't it?

Was better then being too big of a pussy to stand up to our enemies all the while turning a cheek to our allies. I would have to say yes, it was great.

Forum List

Back