Robert: 'Gang of 14' Comments - so far

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Currently published comments (Updated July 20, 2005)

John McCain (R)

Senator John McCain today expressed his strong support for President Bush’s nomination of Judge John Roberts to the U.S. Supreme Courts:

“I am pleased that the President has chosen Judge John Roberts as his nominee to the Supreme Court. Judge Roberts would bring a wealth of experience to the nation’s highest bench having served as an attorney in private practice, as an advisor and Deputy Solicitor General at the Department of Justice and as a federal appeals court judge. I look forward to a smooth confirmation process and a swift up-or-down vote for Judge Roberts.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsey Graham (R)

Statement from U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham on the Nomination of Judge John Roberts to the U.S. Supreme Court

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) today made the following statement on the nomination of Judge John Roberts to the Supreme Court.

Graham said:

"With the nomination of Judge John Roberts, the American people are getting an extremely qualified nominee with impeccable legal credentials. He also happens to be a very decent and honorable man.

In a single word, John Roberts is 'solid.'

"Judge Roberts is a solid conservative who understands the role of a judge is to interpret the law and not legislate from the bench. He is a truly an outstanding choice the entire country can be proud of as he is one of the best legal minds of his generation.

"Judge Roberts represents a new generation of Associate Justices for the Supreme Court. I expect him to be fairly and decently treated by the Senate. Based on his qualifications, temperament and character he will be confirmed by an up-or-down vote.

"Judge Roberts also holds the unique distinction of being confirmed for his current position on the D.C. Court of Appeals, the nation's second-highest court, by unanimous consent. This has rarely occured and is the best indication about how the Senate feels about John Roberts.

"In 2003, as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee I strongly supported John Robert's nomination to the D.C. Court of Appeals. Over the past two years, I've heard nothing to change my opinion about Judge Roberts."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Dewine (R)

Senator Mike DeWine (R-OH) released the following statement:

“I want to commend the President for his consultation with the Senate, and for the obvious care he took in deciding upon this very important nomination. My initial reaction is that the President is sending a very well qualified nominee to the Senate for its consideration. I expect that Judge Roberts’ nomination will be thoroughly evaluated, and that he will be treated fairly, and with dignity and respect, by members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and all members of the United States Senate.”

Joe Lieberman (D)

WASHINGTON - Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) made the following comment today in reaction to President Bush’s announcement that he will nominate John G. Roberts to replace Justice Sandra Day O’Connor on the Supreme Court:

“Serving as a Justice on the Supreme Court is a lifetime appointment and one of the most important positions any American can hold. Virtually every day of the Court’s term, the Justices are considering and making decisions on issues that have an impact on our freedom and our lives. I take very seriously my Constitutional responsibilities as a Senator to engage in a searching review and consideration of this nominee’s fitness for this position.”

Robert Bryd (D)

U.S. Senator Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., issued the following comments after President George W. Bush nominated Judge John G. Roberts, Jr., to serve on the United States Supreme Court.

"I thank President Bush for reaching out to Senators on both sides of the aisle as he worked to select a nominee for the Court. I hope that this bipartisan cooperation will continue as the confirmation process begins.

"The confirmation of a new Justice to the Supreme Court of the United States is a significant responsibility and requires each Senator to have a good understanding of the nominee and his judicial philosophy. I look forward to learning more about Judge Roberts, talking with him, reviewing his record, and listening to the testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee."

Ben Nelson (D)

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Nebraska’s Senator Ben Nelson today issued the following statement in response to President Bush’s selection of Judge John Roberts as his nominee to the United States Supreme Court:

“With the nomination of Judge John Roberts, the President has initiated the confirmation process. I am looking forward to being constructive as the Senate considers and deliberates on the qualifications of Judge Roberts.

“Now remember, the nomination will be referred to the Judiciary Committee, not the ‘Gang of Fourteen.’ The Judiciary Committee should take as much time as it needs to conduct its hearings and consider the nomination. The best case scenario for Judge Roberts, the President and the country is for Judge Roberts to emerge from these proceedings with broad appeal. There’s always a danger in being defined as an activist judge with an agenda and a willingness to legislate from the bench. The confirmation process will shed light on Judge Roberts’ and what kind of Justice he might become.”

Mary Landrieu (D)

WASHINGTON – United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., issued the following statement tonight regarding the nomination of John G. Roberts, Jr., to the United States Supreme Court.

Sen. Landrieu said:

“With the President’s nomination this evening of Judge John Roberts, the Senate begins its responsibility to review his record and determine whether he is fit to serve as an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

“As I wrote the President last week, I hoped for a nominee who could unite the nation and muster the enthusiastic consensus support that Justice O’Connor and six other current Justices earned. As the Senate examines Judge Roberts’ credentials and hears his testimony, we will begin to learn whether this support is attainable.

“The American people have the right to expect a Supreme Court Justice who values independence, objectivity and fairness over political ideology. And the United States Senate owes the American people a fair confirmation process focused on the future of the Court and our nation.

“I look forward to working with my Senate colleagues over the coming weeks to determine if Judge Roberts meets these qualifications.”

Dan Inouye (D)

WASHINGTON — “I will do my best to study the background, credentials, and qualifications of Judge John G. Roberts, Jr. As a United States Senator, I take very seriously my responsibility to carefully consider any nominee to the Supreme Court, and I will not rush to a quick decision.

“As a general rule, I am inclined to support a President’s nominee – but that does not mean I will be a rubber stamp. The nominee must be able to meet the highest judicial and ethical standards, and must be committed to upholding the Constitution.”

The Gang of 14 are:

Republicans
John McCain
Lindsey Graham
John Warner
Lincoln Chafee
Olympia Snowe
Mike Dewine
Susan Collins

Democrats
Joe Lieberman
Robert Bryd
Ben Nelson
Mary Landrieu
Daniel Inouye
Mark Pryor
Ken Salazar

http://www.gopnation.com/supreme_choice.htm

This jumps out at me:

NELSON, (D)There’s always a danger in being defined as an activist judge with an agenda and a willingness to legislate from the bench.
Who in the world would do such 'defining'? :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back