CDZ Robert E. Lee is Not Our Heritage

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by midcan5, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,983
    The "New Liberals" - those who have taken over the Democratic Party - are not liberals at all.

Real liberals welcome, expect and demand freedom of expression.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,398
    I heard this argument made by the ACLU in the 1970's when the Nazis wanted to march in Skokie. It was just as wrong then as it is now.

The late great Mike Royko had it right. Let the Nazis march in Skokie, but just don't have any police show up to protect them.

3. ricechickie

ricechickie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,666
    In my opinion, that right there makes him more worthy of a statue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,344
    The Reality we live in today is that every major city controlled by the Democratic Party, that party is run by these Marxists posing as liberals and they are a threat to our nations peace and well being.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  5. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Since the beginning of time. To destroy reminders of the past in works of art and literature is very ISIS and Taliban and Mao and Lenin worthy...and before them the Greeks, the Romans, the Egyptians, the Moors, the Catholic church. What's next?...labeling disagree speech as hate speech?...demonizing/punishing those with whom we disagree? ;)

Isn't it interesting that the 14th and 15th amendments still excluded women from having the right to vote? Perhaps us gals should campaign to have all the statues of men who served in government or the military prior to 1920 removed from the public square. MLK was against same-sex marriage, so were many political and religious leaders - maybe their statues should be removed too. Slaves had no rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?...neither do unborn babes. Americans of Japanese or Chinese descent can certainly find something to rally against. Columbus was Latino and stupid Custer served in the Union Army and met his well deserved fate at the Little Big Horn. The myth of the noble 'savage' is revealed by history - they were invaders and warriors - engaging in slavery and massacres of the enemy. Does anyone really believe that they only developed weapons of war after Columbus discovered the new world?

My point being - we can all find a cause to rally the mob and attempt to destroy, shout down or rewrite history. The removal of statues differs little from burning or banning books...it is the refuge of the uninformed and/or the fanatic follower. Saints preserve us from the self-righteous practitioners of political correctness. The founders made an attempt to do that, within the world they lived in, as imperfect as it is. History is messy - we should remember that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,983
    Agreed, and this is more about political opportunism than anything else. Those who are consumed by Identity Politics see Trump as their best opportunity, probably ever, for increased political advantage and they're going all out. This will get more ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Yes - Identity Politics is a powerful tool for those who seek to keep their power, privilege and relevancy. The irony - we just finished 8 years with a president who blithely ruled by pen and phone...how many statues did he have removed, I wonder?

According to some reports the majority of 'history eradicators/statue destroyers' are white leftists, the totalitarians of our time masquerading as 'progressives'. It is the tactic of totalitarians to 'stir up' common folk with promises of great reward or retribution - seldom, if ever, have those promises been kept...because they've never been made with sincerity, or based in reality.

I do honor peaceful rallies, for and against. I support swift law enforcement intervention when violence break out. It's ok to debate this, hopefully we can all learn from it. I support dissenting voices being heard on college campuses, too. But there is so much more that we as a nation are facing...and as important as it may be to some, this is merely a diversion. We are Americans first and Lee, Beauregard and others are a part of our history. The rest of the world sees us as Americans - that is our shared culture and it is readily recognized in foreign lands.

Americans stand out to foreign eyes - not for our skin color or religion - but as citizens of the USA. We are more alike than we like to think...as are our experiences. :)

ps - Whatever else Trump may or may not be - he is the antithesis of the establishment (the parasitic class) - thankfully. But the parasites are fighting for their lives - even if it means destroying the host.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. ricechickie

ricechickie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,666
    Ummm...no.

Just a comment about how my respect for him has increased. I couldn't give two goddamns whether the statue stays or goes.

9. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,262
    Fair enough, I deleted my post earlier. It's early and I'm still seeing with one eye!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Slash

Slash Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Yes they did. Makingup falsehoods doesn't make your point.

The Supreme court ruled in Texas vs. White that secession was illegal. That was the burden of proof on them in the case. Their ruling was that hat the Constitution did not permit states to unilaterally secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null"

The entire reason that case went to the Supreme court is it relied on whether it was a legal secession or a rebellion.