Road Rage

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Have you ever been involved personally in a road rage incident? The reason I ask is that this past Christmas when my daughter and I were returning home from a favorite pizza place in a neighboring town, a fellow driver tried to push us off the road. When we started home from our pizza lunch, the was a lot of traffic in both lanes heading south, so at the first opportunity my daughter got into the left lane, which was ahead of the guy who tried to push us off the road. There was space enough for her to get into the left lane, so I don't know why this infuriated the guy, but it did. She said he started giving her the finger almost immediately, and then drove up close enough that he was almost on our back bumper. She detected that something was out of the ordinary with this guy, so she got back into the right lane at the first opportunity; that's when this guy tried to push us off the road. There was a woman and children riding in the car with him, and they were sitting as stiff as boards and looking straight ahead. I think the guy was drunk. When the guy tried to push us off the road, we tried to get his license plate number to report him but were unable to because of other cars. I just hope that someone in one of the other cars got his license plate number and reported him.

Adam's Apple said:
Have you ever been involved personally in a road rage incident? The reason I ask is that this past Christmas when my daughter and I were returning home from a favorite pizza place in a neighboring town, a fellow driver tried to push us off the road. When we started home from our pizza lunch, the was a lot of traffic in both lanes heading south, so at the first opportunity my daughter got into the left lane, which was ahead of the guy who tried to push us off the road. There was space enough for her to get into the left lane, so I don't know why this infuriated the guy, but it did. She said he started giving her the finger almost immediately, and then drove up close enough that he was almost on our back bumper. She detected that something was out of the ordinary with this guy, so she got back into the right lane at the first opportunity; that's when this guy tried to push us off the road. There was a woman and children riding in the car with him, and they were sitting as stiff as boards and looking straight ahead. I think the guy was drunk. When the guy tried to push us off the road, we tried to get his license plate number to report him but were unable to because of other cars. I just hope that someone in one of the other cars got his license plate number and reported him.

There was an accident in the road just about a week ago. All drivers had to merge into the right lanes of the road to get past the accident. As drivers in the left lane were passing a guy that was in the middle lane, attempting to find someone kind enough to let them into the lane, he would swerve into the car that was passing him pushing them into the median.

He did this right in front of a cop that was directing people into the right lanes of traffic. It was funny to see the shock on the guys face when the cop pulled him over!

no1tovote4 said:
There was an accident in the road just about a week ago. All drivers had to merge into the right lanes of the road to get past the accident. As drivers in the left lane were passing a guy that was in the middle lane, attempting to find someone kind enough to let them into the lane, he would swerve into the car that was passing him pushing them into the median.

He did this right in front of a cop that was directing people into the right lanes of traffic. It was funny to see the shock on the guys face when the cop pulled him over!
I had a car just flat try to kill me when I was still riding motorcycles. Damn glad I had the speed and maneuverabilty to get the hell outta there. Scary

dilloduck said:
I had a car just flat try to kill me when I was still riding motorcycles. Damn glad I had the speed and maneuverabilty to get the hell outta there. Scary

Yeah, I had one guy do this when I was new at it and was going a little too slow for him. He passed me, then conveniently "forgot" I was there coming directly into me from the side. I learned quickly that motorcycles can accelerate much faster than cars. The guy ended up behind me again so I got off the fricking road as quickly as possible.

oh im guilty of road rage. im a very aggresive driver with a short fuse. yes ive run people off the road. but i give motorcycles a wide birth. they are one of the drivers out there i respect.

Johnney said:
oh im guilty of road rage. im a very aggresive driver with a short fuse. yes ive run people off the road.

Not a good idea. One day you're going to run across someone like me and you're going to get yourself shot.

I strongly suggest that if you're not going at least 8mph over the speed limit, you stay out of the left lane. People getting into the left lane and then slowing down is what pisses people off the most. My license plates say a variation "Move It" for a reason - it means I have somewhere to be, and if you're moving slower than I am, move it.. :)

Adam's Apple said:

When people ride my bumper, I suddenly slam on the brakes!

In 1989 when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC, it snowed Christmas Eve. My wife and I were going to Red Lobster (spending big bucks for an E5 back then!) and on the way, I was driving real slow in the right lane cuz it was snowing so hard and the streets were slick. Some Joe was behind me and I guess he didn't like my driving, so he swerved into the left lane and punched it. Well, just about 500 meters up the road was a light. It turned red and I slowly eased to a stop in the right lane just in time to see the same guy that just sped around me on the left slam into the back of a car at the light. I also got to see his wife beat'n the shit out of him too!

Merlin1047 said:
Not a good idea. One day you're going to run across someone like me and you're going to get yourself shot.
ill take my chances. its jsut a little pain

Shattered said:
I strongly suggest that if you're not going at least 8mph over the speed limit, you stay out of the left lane. People getting into the left lane and then slowing down is what pisses people off the most. My license plates say a variation "Move It" for a reason - it means I have somewhere to be, and if you're moving slower than I am, move it.. :)

Here's another solution - give yourself more time to get there. I habitually ignore speed limits on the open road and it's not too likely that you're going to be slowed down by me.

But you don't own the damn road and if there's someone not going fast enough to suit you - tough. Learn to deal with it. Statistics pretty much prove that impatient, immature drivers with bad tempers cause lots of accidents.

Given my aviation background, I tend to be extremely intolerant of incompetence because in aviation, that will get you killed. That attitude tends to spill over into my driving and I frequently yell at some of the idiots with whom we share the roads. But one cannot justify responding to incompetence with an act of stupidity.

So there.

Merlin1047 said:
Here's another solution - give yourself more time to get there. I habitually ignore speed limits on the open road and it's not too likely that you're going to be slowed down by me.

But you don't own the damn road and if there's someone not going fast enough to suit you - tough. Learn to deal with it. Statistics pretty much prove that impatient, immature drivers with bad tempers cause lots of accidents.

Given my aviation background, I tend to be extremely intolerant of incompetence because in aviation, that will get you killed. That attitude tends to spill over into my driving and I frequently yell at some of the idiots with whom we share the roads. But one cannot justify responding to incompetence with an act of stupidity.

So there.

Perhaps the "Slower traffic keep right" signs need to be a tad larger, given ones declining vision capabilities as old age sets in? The left lane is for faster moving traffic. If you're going slower than everyone else, keep right. :)

Oh, and I've never caused an accident, so nice try on that one. I'm a very alert, and defensive driver.

I hate people who decide they're the regulators of society and go in the passing lane what THEY think the safe speed should be. They remind me of libs.

One commonality I have found among certain types of drivers - they view everyone who goes one mile per hour slower than they as being a refugee from the nursing home. And they view anyone who travels one mile per hour FASTER than they as a reckless idiot.

:funnyface

rtwngAvngr said:
I hate people who decide they're the regulators of society and go in the passing lane what THEY think the safe speed should be. They remind me of libs.

If I'm in the passing lane doing 15 mph over the limit and you come up behind me, I guess that I'm being a regulating liberal.

Hey - that's why they spend all that money to pave more than one lane.

I agree that if you're going to occupy the left lane, you'd better be going faster than the average bear. But whenever I catch up to someone in the left lane, I simply check my mirrors and reach for that right turn signal. I don't get bent out of shape and I don't try to make them pay for having the audacity to drive slower than I think they should.

Merlin1047 said:
If I'm in the passing lane doing 15 mph over the limit and you come up behind me, I guess that I'm being a regulating liberal.

I agree that if you're going to occupy the left lane, you'd better be going faster than the average bear. But whenever I catch up to someone in the left lane, I simply check my mirrors and reach for that right turn signal. I don't get bent out of shape and I don't try to make them pay for having the audacity to drive slower than I think they should.

If they're going the average 8-10mph over the posted speed limit, I'm good with that.. I don't tailgate them, I don't rocket around them.. It's people in the left lane of a 65mph freeway that are doing 63 that I have a serious problem with. GTF out of my way. :)

Another thing, if you can't safely drive the posted speed limit if there's water falling from the sky, fucking STAY HOME! You're a hazard to society, and an accident waiting to happen.

Merlin1047 said:

This is what i do too. I don't ride their bumper like an idiot. All the slowing down and lane changes increases accidents.

Forum List

Back