RNC convention open thread

OK, nobody going to say it so I will. Listen to every single word Clint said. Clint is pro-Obama.

Not convinced? C-SPAN cut to a shot of Janna Little Ryan as Clint was 'ad libbing'. She knew they were getting roasted.

Romney mentioned Iran and Putin!!! Sounds like he wants a war with Iran and I don't get why he was ragging on Putin. The cold war is over, Willard!!

Romney's Neocon Foreign-Policy Clichés

Mitt Romney delivered some effective lines in his acceptance speech Thursday night. But "effective" isn't the same as "non-stupid". For example:

Romney said President Obama had begun his presidency with "an apology tour. America, he said, had dictated to other nations. No Mr. President, America has freed other nations from dictators."

It's true: In the last decade alone America has twice intervened forcefully to free nations from dictators--in Iraq and in Libya. But since the Libyan intervention came at the direction of President Obama, I don't think he needs any reminders that things like this have happened. And when you compare that episode to the Iraq intervention--which came on a Republican president's watch, and which Obama opposed--it's kind of amazing that Romney brought up this subject at all.

A quick reminder: The Iraq War generated at least 100,000 dead people, including thousands of American soldiers, and dragged on for years, during which Iraq became a breeding ground for anti-American jihadists and a potent ingredient in the incitement of homegrown American terrorists, including Major Nidal Hasan, who succeeded in killing 13 Americans on American soil. And as for the liberation-from-dictators part: the war led ultimately to an Iraqi regime with such thuggish tendencies that it's unclear whether the country has been lastingly freed from a dictator.

And here's the kicker: this regime, unlike the regime it replaced, is a valuble ally of Iran--something you'd think would bother Romney, given his frequent complaint, repeated Thursday night, that President Obama has "failed to slow Iran's nuclear threat" (which is nonsense, even if you believe Obama should have impeded Iran's nuclear program even more than he has via stuxnet, boatloads of sanctions, etc.)

I realize convention speeches aren't the place for think-tank-worthy critiques of an incumbent's foreign policy. But couldn't Romney do better than spout neocon abstractions that, when fleshed out, don't make any sense? He's so allergic to concrete specificity that he didn't even mention the war America is currently involved in! (Reminder to Mitt: That would be Afghanistan--and it's another example of a dictator-removing war launched by a Republican president that, um, hasn't gone exactly as planned.)

Romney's Neocon Foreign-Policy Clichés - Robert Wright - The Atlantic

Republican convention causes Democratic panic, Part 1
Written on Tuesday, September 4, 2012 by Nathaniel Davidson

Republican convention causes Democratic panic, Part 2
Written on Thursday, September 6, 2012 by Nathaniel Davidson

Democrats and entitlements

Let’s also compare the above stars with the Democratic keynotes. This is just a love fest for abortionists, and their “star” is Sandra Fluke, a 30-something who’s still a student, whose motto is: “my body, my choice, your money.” She’s too gutless to debate conservative women. We’ve not heard if the Dems have invited the abortionist Ron Virmani who loves to abort “ugly black babies”.

gubmentteet.jpg

Hanging-from-the-gubmint-teat

Forum List

Back