Rising jobless claims add worries about recovery

unemployment_02052010.jpg

Did you read your own graph?

The graph shows job losses. We had a small increase in the number of job losses this month. the rate of loss increase is slower than at the beginning of the recession, but with an effective unemployment rate of 22%, there really aren't that many more jobs to lose.

We were promised back when the stimulus package first passed that unemployment would stay under 8%. It has been over 9 for I don't know how long. And huge numbers of those 9% have seen their benefits expire, as did mine.

Since December of 2007, a year into the Pelosi/Reid congress we saw a collapse in employment, and while the collapse is slower, it continues

I DID read my own graph. Can you not see that we are losing less jobs than when Obama took office? Do you not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Making some assumptions, you can continue to chart this trend and see we will move into positive territory very soon. Did Obama miss the mark on his 8%? Of course he did. Do I blame him? For being naive and perhaps a little overzealous? Sure. Do I want to throw him out of office for it? No.

Question for you. What, specifically did Reid and/or Pelosi do to cause this tumble job losses?

The graph shows job losses. We had a small increase in the number of job losses this month. the rate of loss increase is slower than at the beginning of the recession, but with an effective unemployment rate of 22%, there really aren't that many more jobs to lose.

We were promised back when the stimulus package first passed that unemployment would stay under 8%. It has been over 9 for I don't know how long. And huge numbers of those 9% have seen their benefits expire, as did mine.

Since December of 2007, a year into the Pelosi/Reid congress we saw a collapse in employment, and while the collapse is slower, it continues

I DID read my own graph. Can you not see that we are losing less jobs than when Obama took office? Do you not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Making some assumptions, you can continue to chart this trend and see we will move into positive territory very soon. Did Obama miss the mark on his 8%? Of course he did. Do I blame him? For being naive and perhaps a little overzealous? Sure. Do I want to throw him out of office for it? No.

Question for you. What, specifically did Reid and/or Pelosi do to cause this tumble job losses?

Cause it? Nothing at all.

Capitalize on it at the cost of trillions for political and ideological gain? You betcha.

OK...fair enough, I'll play. And yes, you did provide me with helpful information on the CAT discussion, so I openly give you credit where credit is due.

Personally, I do not feel I BLINDLY support anything. What I try not to do is BLINDLY attack something that has simply not had enough time to work yet. We were losing somwehere in the neighborhood of 600,000 jobs a month when Obama took office. This trend started under Bush and Obama inherited it. I am not blaming Bush here, just stating the timeline

While my rhetoric may lead many to believe I blame Bush for the job losses, or Obama for stopping the bleeding, it is my personal opinion that the POTUS has little direct control over this. Our financial sector had gotten drunk in recent years on making profits in funny money. When the house of card began to collapse, the financial sector had to shed jobs. When the financial sector shed jobs and became somewhat introverted, it caused other businesses to lose profits, get scared and also shed jobs.

There is too much of this "Obama's" economy crap in my humble opinion. The jobs market will rebound eventually. I believe it would have rebounded on it's own without any government intervention. Obama simply happens to be the POTUS while our job losses are decreasing. Bush was in office while our job losses were increasing. Was it all Bush's fault for the losses? Hell no. Should Obama get all of the credit for the decrease in job losses? Hell no.

Am I tired of people like you and Xeno telling us what a horrible job Obama is doing and how he is destroying our capitalistic society, a mere year and a half into his Presidency? Hell yes, I am.

Theres no way libs would have given Booooosh more time, so the whole "it's only been a mere year and a half" line is Pure Grade-A bullshit... Barry pushed for an overspending healthscare reform bill that we can not afford at this time and you lapdogs ate it up... Barry and his admin continued the spend-spend-spend mentality of the previous admin after promising "Change".... He promised an open government and said he'd bring back the sprit of bipartisanship, yet his party holds closed door sessions and comes up with a spending orgasm and you "Defenders of Barry" cheer him and his buddies on...

Sorry, but the days of blaming Booooooosh are long gone... The policies and actions of THIS administration have caused further damage in an already bleeding economy... When you constantly hear "unexpectedly rose" on almost every jobs report, then it's time to find some economists who aren't spending their days worshiping at the Altar of Barry...

Perhaps actually listening to what the majority of people in the Tea Party movement are saying would help you understand instead of outright dismissing and attacking them...

House...<sigh>....you asked me a question, slighted as it was, about "blindly following Obama's economic policies". I took the time to explain it in the best manner I know how, with no name calling, no digging and look at your response. You didn't even BOTHER to concentrate on the question you asked me or my answer. You simply went on one of your normal rants about this and that. I know you believe Ignore Lists are for pussies...your words, not mine, but it sure beats TRYING to have a decent debate with someone only to find out you have once again completely wasted your time....

I pointed out your errors in logic while staying on topic... If you are not open to hearing where you're wrong then you're not willing to debate...

BTW, what you do is not "debate", so climb down off your pedistal...

Capitalize on it at the cost of trillions for political and ideological gain? You betcha.

Capitalizing on this tragedy is an assumption on your part and that is fair for you to do. I am glad to hear you do not believe Reid/Pelosi or the Democratically controlled Congress caused the tragedy.

Capitalizing on this tragedy is an assumption on your part and that is fair for you to do. I am glad to hear you do not believe Reid/Pelosi or the Democratically controlled Congress caused the tragedy.

Yes, an assumption I made based on how theytseem to be handling the situation. A small rsie in something is ALL STIMULUS. A decrease in something is ALL BUSH"S fault; or the weather; or a skewed poll, etc.

But blame them? I blame Americans, including myself.

I mean, I need to ask; exactly where were those Americans out there complainig about the money they were making when the market was rising for years? WHere were those Americans that had sweetheart 0% teaser rates complaining that their mortagges were so low?

Sure, now they are complaining. But where were they when they were capitalizing on what they are complaining about now?

Americans, AS A COLLECTIVE acted greedily and all danced and sang. Now they want to shoot somebody for doing this to them.

Quite pathetic if you ask me.

Last edited:

Yes, an assumption I made based on how theytseem to be handling the situation. A small rsie in something is ALL STIMULUS. A decrease in something is ALL BUSH"S fault; or the weather; or a skewed poll, etc.

I mean, I need to ask; exactly where were those Americans out there complainig about the money they were making when the market was rising for years? WHere were those Americans that had sweetheart 0% teaser rates complaining that their mortagges were so low?

Sure, now they are complaining. But where were they when they were capitalizing on what they are complaining about now?

Americans, AS A COLLECTIVE acted greedily and all danced and sang. Now they want to shoot somebody for doing this to them.

I am guessing it is because the ones on Wall Street got bailed out while the ones on Main Street got left holding the bag?

162,000 jobs added last month

compared to LOSING 650,000 jobs a month under the previous not to be mentioned President

That 162,000 is misleading.

88,000 of the jobs are temp ones (including 48,000 census jobs that end in July). Only 74,000 full time jobs were created.

The ranks of the Unemployed increase by 134,000 to 15M.

The increase of Unemployed exceeds the increase in full time Employed by 60,000.

The economy is losing full time jobs faster than it is creating them - that's what sucking the oxygen out of the private sector to expand government accomplishes.

162,000 jobs are paychecks for those previously not working. TEMP jobs are usually the first type of jobs offered when you start rehiring.

You have some sort of problem with unemployment trends reversing?

90% are in the private sector, right ? ....... :eusa_whistle:

I am guessing it is because the ones on Wall Street got bailed out while the ones on Main Street got left holding the bag?

When the ones on main street were capitalizing on the actions of the ones on wall street, no one was complaining.

Now that the ones on main street are hurting from the actions of the ones on Wall street, they all want to complain.

As for the bailouts. Dont blame me. Too big to fail is crap. There will always be those that can pick up the slack. And if not? We deal and move on.

Instead we have selective success. TARP decided who would succeed and who would fail.

Stimulus was even worse from a selective success standpoint. The stimulus actually hurt many companies that were successful all for the sake of one favorite son competitor.

When the ones on main street were capitalizing on the actions of the ones on wall street, no one was complaining.

Now that the ones on main street are hurting from the actions of the ones on Wall street, they all want to complain.

As for the bailouts. Dont blame me. Too big to fail is crap. There will always be those that can pick up the slack. And if not? We deal and move on.

Instead we have selective success. TARP decided who would succeed and who would fail.

Stimulus was even worse from a selective success standpoint. The stimulus actually hurt many companies that were successful all for the sake of one favorite son competitor.

Indeed! Corporate welfare!

They did plenty to cause it, they were the ringleaders from 2006 on, they never once tried to enforce regulation, and in fact blocked attempts at reform for partisan political reasons.

Forum List

Back