RIP Pontiac

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
No longer building excitement...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0IIoYkJaM[/ame]

GM to pull the plug on Pontiac car brand - Apr. 24, 2009

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors is preparing to announce that the Pontiac car brand, once marketed as GM's "Excitement division," will be killed off, according to a source familiar with the decision.

An official announcement is expected Monday. GM spokesman Jim Hopson declined to comment on Pontiac's fate, saying the automaker has no announcements to make at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0IIoYkJaM

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors is preparing to announce that the Pontiac car brand, once marketed as GM's "Excitement division," will be killed off, according to a source familiar with the decision.

An official announcement is expected Monday. GM spokesman Jim Hopson declined to comment on Pontiac's fate, saying the automaker has no announcements to make at this time.

They shouldn't be taking advantage of an Indian like that anyway.

Man, and I was so close to saving up enough money to get a Pontiac Firebird with an eagle painted on the hood, a t-top, and wear a netted half-shirt like the Marines where I grew up in San Diego.

Shoot!

My dreams are gone.

My friend is thinking about getting a Pontiac G8 GT right now ...

Not that it already wouldn't lose 50% of its value within the first 24 hours of ownership much like many new cars do, but your friend is making a serious mistake if he/she ever wishes to sell it.

For roughly the same money, your friend can buy a 2010 Ford Fusion which are selling like hotcakes and are very much in demand right now. If your friend buys a hybrid, which are selling for cheap due to the decreased demand - he'll have excellent resale value when oil goes to $200/barrel when either inflation kicks in or people jump to commodities because of the severely weakened dollar.

Buy a Honda Civic.

At ten years it will run like the Ford in one.

At twenty years the Civic will run reasonably.

The Ford will be in a junkyard.

idots.....that was the only good line they had.....

I think Cadillac is GM's ace in the whole. Screw the Pontiac. Why they ever put three tube exhaust on the old big blocks was beyond me. That's why very few were ever built for hotrods. Chevy holds that honor among the GM line. The Chevy small block is the most hotroded engine in automotive history.

Our Pontiacs were great cars, Bonneville SSE, last SE was passed to son who sold cheap to needy friend and it is still a solid car. All our American cars get passed to family or those in need.

I've never understood those who buy and praise foreign cars etc, why not move there if they are the people you praise and support. Hate to sound like a 'love it or leave it' but if we don't support our own industries and people, then we are a sad bunch.

These cars will be collectors items, a 57 Pontiac sound for a million plus recently.

Buy American - support yourself

Check here Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Products for Home and Family and American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA here.

Our Pontiacs were great cars, Bonneville SSE, last SE was passed to son who sold cheap to needy friend and it is still a solid car. All our American cars get passed to family or those in need.

I've never understood those who buy and praise foreign cars etc, why not move there if they are the people you praise and support. Hate to sound like a 'love it or leave it' but if we don't support our own industries and people, then we are a sad bunch.

These cars will be collectors items, a 57 Pontiac sound for a million plus recently.

Buy American - support yourself

Check here Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Products for Home and Family and American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA here.

I live in Indiana. GM and Chrysler have been "finding efficiencies" in this state for years which is French for laying off workers and closing plants. In the meantime, Suburu and Honda are opening factories that build real live cars and other folks are building factories that supply them with parts.

The name on the bumper no longer represents the nationality of the worker making the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0IIoYkJaM

Man, that sucks! I hated it when Pantiac stopped making the Bonneville. I have one right now and have had Bonnevilles for years. Pontiac has a warm spot in my heart from the Goat to the Catalina. Too bad.

My brother had a powder blue Tempest convertible (1966) when I was in Junior high School. At that time, it was the coolest thing I'd ever ridden in. After he totaled that, he got an Impala SS (1965?). No comparison for me in the "Hotness".

Classic Muscle car

1977-Pontiac-Firebird.002.jpg

did the unions kill off pontiac?

No. Lack of consumer interest with an oversupply of brands that each provided crappy cars did.

Again, look at FORD. They forsaw this crisis, got a $20 billion line of credit from banks over a year ago, and they said they're going to break even in 2011. They caused the market to go up yesterday and while GM is sitting at $1.80 per share, Ford is valued at over $5/share.

Ford's turnaround came with the Focus back in 2000. As someone who test drove all of the cars of the same type (Chevy Cavallier) I knew that the Focus was superior.

Then they re-designed the Ford Explorer after the Firestone debacle and came out with the first 4-wheel independent suspension SUV that drove more like a car than a truck in 2002.

Then they re-designed the Expedition when big SUV's were selling quite well and gave the Expedition 4-wheel independent suspension.

Then they re-designed the F-150. Then they came out with the Ford Fusion and Five Hundred (now the Taurus).

Ford hasn't had to apologize to its customers for any of the cars built in the 2000s not meeting their own quality standards.

GM has.

That's why Ford is leading the pack of the American cars right now and GM and Chrysler will have to declare bankruptcy.

I bought a new Pontiac in 1966. My first new car. It was a dog. I'm surprised Pontiacs are still around after the piece of junk I owned. Burned valves, bad clutch, water leaking in the floorboard. I traded that sucka at 60,000 miles for a Ford. I have owned 12 brand new vehicles, 6 of them being Ford F-150s. They are trouble free and fun to drive. Big and up high off the road for safety. My wife was in a head-on with one of our F-150 that was only 2 years old. The other guy busted out his windshield and my wife walked away without a scratch.

Good bye Pontiac and it's about time. When you get to that junk yard in the sky say hello to the Henry J and the Edsel.

Forum List

Back