RIP Klia (1998-2014)

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
KLIA!.jpg

Today I had to say goodbye to my loyal, trustworthy 4-legged friend of more than 14 1/2 years. She came to us as a full-grown dog from a kennel in the city of Dessau, Germany, on March 6, 2000, just about one month before I engaged to marry. The kennel director estimated her age at at least 1 1/2 years when I got her. With the divorce in 2009/2010, the dog came to live with me.

She had a serious illness in February 2012 that almost killed her then, but with lots of love, patience and elbow-grease (4 months of healing), I got her back on her feet.

Last Friday, she collapsed and my daughter and I, we took the dog to the vet, who tried one last course of action with a cortisone shot, antibiotics and pain-killers, but to no avail. All that we could do this last weekend was to make her existence as pleasant as possible. The dog gave up on life, did not want to eat or drink anymore. She was telling me that it was time for her to go. At least the weekend allowed my daughter time to say goodbye to the dog.

This morning, I took the dog back to the vet, who put her to sleep. I was in the room as it happened and stayed with my dog about 10 minutes afterward.

It hurts like hell, and I miss my pooch, but she is now in a better place. She was a best dog a man could ever wish for. Even as I write this, I keep expecting her to come around the corner and greet me. And the tears keep coming.

Tonight at 7 PM EST (1 AM my time), I will be toasting to Klia.

Anyone to wants to toast her with me is welcome to do so.

Klia!-057.JPG

Tschüß, Klia. Papa wird dich immer sehr, sehr lieb haben.

Last edited:
Condolences...I have lost 3 dogs in my life...and another probably sooner than later as he is almost 14 years old now.
Dog companionship can be better than human in many ways.

Today I had to say goodbye to my loyal, trustworthy 4-legged friend of more than 14 1/2 years. She came to us as a full-grown dog from a kennel in the city of Dessau, Germany, on March 6, 2000, just about one month before I engaged to marry. The kennel director estimated her age at at least 1 1/2 years when I got her. With the divorce in 2009/2010, the dog came to live with me.

She had a serious illness in February 2012 that almost killed her then, but with lots of love, patience and elbow-grease (4 months of healing), I got her back on her feet.

Last Friday, she collapsed and my daughter and I, we took the dog to the vet, who tried one last course of action with a cortisone shot, antibiotics and pain-killers, but to no avail. All that we could do this last weekend was to make her existence as pleasant as possible. The dog gave up on life, did not want to eat or drink anymore. She was telling me that it was time for her to go. At least the weekend allowed my daughter time to say goodbye to the dog.

This morning, I took the dog back to the vet, who put her to sleep. I was in the room as it happened and stayed with my dog about 10 minutes afterward.

It hurts like hell, and I miss my pooch, but she is now in a better place. She was a best dog a man could ever wish for. Even as I write this, I keep expecting her to come around the corner and greet me. And the tears keep coming.

Tonight at 7 PM EST (1 AM my time), I will be toasting to Klia.

Anyone to wants to toast her with me is welcome to do so.

View attachment 33076

Tshüß, Klia. Papa wird dich immer sehr, sehr lieb haben.

Whatever miracle makes inorganic molecules alive suggests our understanding of life and death is incomplete. So there's room for hope and reason to be hopeful that we all wind up in the same place at the end of time. While the loss of loved ones is always hard, especially pets who engender the perfect ideal of love, without loss could we still have the love we do for loved ones?

Our loved ones aren't gone from this universe. Our memories of them and that love remains as proof. And whether the body is present or not, the intangible but very real feelings we have are as real now, and they were before. Nothing's changed then but how we think of the feelings. We didn't love their bodies, we loved them, and that's still here inside of us.

She was beautiful and very lucky to have adopted you as her human. I'm sorry she's gone and yet, what Delta said is true - she lives on in your heart.

Proof of that is just what you said - you expect her to do all the things that endeared her to you, all those habits that our animals and we share in our day-to-day lives.

The hurt lessens with time but the love and that special connection you shared with her will not. There will always be moments that remind you of her, little vignettes of the years you had together.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Having gone through it more than once, I know that it's heartbreaking to say goodbye to a beloved family member. My very first pet let's me know she's still with me.

Be well, my friend

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy, or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is the way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.

Dean Koontz

So sorry, Stat. I know Klia is somewhere where there is no more pain....and thankful that she had you for her master for such a long time. You were good to her and she served you well, and now for a while you'll feel pain at the thought of her being gone, but eventually, you'll just remember what neat times you two spent together and it will bring a smile to your heart. RIP Klia.

I am so sorry Stat :( What a beautiful girl .... and what a great home she had with you!

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own,
live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan.

Irving Townsend, "The Once Again Prince

New Topics

Forum List

Back