RIP John Walton

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Heir of Walmart fortune and someone you should know. Blackfive has this:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2005/06/godspeed_john_w.html

....But what you may not know (and probably Charlie Rangel does not know) is that John Walton left Wooster College to volunteer for Viet Nam. But he didn't just volunteer for combat duty, he volunteered several times to be a Paratrooper and Special Forces Medic. He was assigned to Military Assistance Command - Vietnam - Studies and Observations Group (MAC-V-SOG).

Suffice it to say that many of the veterans of the SOG trained many of us to fight the next wars in El Salvador, Panama, and Iraq. I had been in the military two years (and was still a teenager), and the men of MAC-V-SOG were my heroes as well as my mentors. You can learn a bit more about MAC-V-SOG here.

In the extended section is an account of what actions John Walton did under fire to receive the Silver Star.

The Waltons: Inside America's Richest Family
ANDY SERWER / Fortune v.150, n.10, 15nov04
<...>
AT ONE POINT when I was driving with John down Highway 61, I tried to start up a conversation about his war experiences.

"So were you in combat?"

"Yes."

"Why did you go to Vietnam?"

"When I was at Wooster, there were a lot of people talking about the war in the dorm rooms, but I didn't think they under-stood it."

"So you volunteered and joined the Army?"

"Yeah."

"What unit? What part of the Army?"

"I was in Special Forces."

"Really? Why did you do that?"

"I figured if you're going to do something, you should do it the best you can."...

Forum List

Back