RIP Evan Tanner

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
SAN DIEGO – A body was found Monday during an air-and-ground search for missing mixed-martial arts fighter Evan Tanner of Oceanside, whose empty campsite was located Sunday in a rugged Imperial County area.
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > North County -- Body in mountain area thought to be martial arts fighter's

Very sad. Evan seemed like a very cerebral guy and gave us MMA junkies some great fights. He had some demons. I hope he found whatever he was looking for in the desert before he died. RIP

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > North County -- Body in mountain area thought to be martial arts fighter's

Very sad. Evan seemed like a very cerebral guy and gave us MMA junkies some great fights. He had some demons. I hope he found whatever he was looking for in the desert before he died. RIP

I couldn't have said it any better myself. You said exactly what I was thinking. :clap2:

This is a guy who started out in MMA watching instructional videos. He was a minimalist and was one of the most unique characters in MMA. I'm sad to see him go.

7063-GroveTanner035TUF7Finale.jpg
7063-EvanTanner_ShoulderBelt.jpg

7063-33_EvanTannerTUF7Finaleweig.jpg
7063-FranklinTanner078UFC53.jpg

7063-FranklinTanner194UFC53.jpg
7063-12-EvanTannerUFC54w.jpg

Hey, on a brighter note, did you see the new Deniro Pacino movie coming out? It's called Righteous Kill. Oleg Taktarov is in it. He was smart about spinning his time in the UFC into movies.

Taktarov was the UFC 6 tournament champion and holds notable wins over Maurice Smith and David "Tank" Abbott. Taktarov is remembered for being calm during fights and for using a variety of rarely seen, acrobatic takedown moves. He has never been submitted in an MMA match.

Taktarov was the UFC 6 tournament champion and holds notable wins over Maurice Smith and David "Tank" Abbott. Taktarov is remembered for being calm during fights and for using a variety of rarely seen, acrobatic takedown moves. He has never been submitted in an MMA match.

Taktarov is one of my favorites. He had endless endurance. Great Sambo and submission fighter.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at a clinic once. Very nice guy.

I don't know anything about him but anytime someone dies young it's tragic.

I hope he rests in peace!

okay i am sorry evan tanner is dead.

but he made some very bad decisions...going into the dessert alone without a gps...or without telling anyone where he was going.....i dont care how much water you carry in...its never enough to get you out...to me the whole thing reeks of suicide.

but he made some very bad decisions...going into the dessert alone without a gps...or without telling anyone where he was going.....i dont care how much water you carry in...its never enough to get you out...to me the whole thing reeks of suicide.

Tanner told everyone where he was going and even stated that he wanted to take as little as possible. He even stated that he needed to take the right equipment because any malfunction could cost him his life. If you knew Evan Tanner, you'd understand why he did what he did. Tanner believed that if you didn't put it all out on the line, you weren't living. This trip fits right into who Evan Tanner was and what he believed. Just as MMA was breaking into the mainstream, Tanner was a recent former champion with a bankable name and could have made millions. Instead he just packed up all of his belongings in his jeep and started roaming around for three years. This might look like suicide to the average person, but this was what life was all about for Tanner. And those that have followed Tanner completely get it.

Who doesn't know that desert is spelled with 1 s? That's the first thing you learn in 2nd or 3rd grade. Very simple way to remember. You want more dessert? Of course? Who doesn't? So 2 s's. Do you want to stay out in the desert more Mr. Tanner? No? So 1 s.

And no, he didn't kill himself. How many of us put our lives in jeopordy when we go out in our cars during the winter? If the car breaks down, we could die. But many go out without enough protection/jackets/cellphones/flint sticks. Would you say they committed suicide?

i think the man was very smart....i have the upmost respect for the man....as i did for hunter s. thompson....no one knows that demons of another....demons that no amount of money or love can make be gone.

I meant no disrespect by the suggestion of suicide. I forget many have religious objections to it. or moral ones. we all seek something, sometimes we just seek the end of our misery. I meant no disrespect to Evan Tanner or his family.

New Topics

Forum List

Back