Riots in Tottenham

Laws should be passed allowing extraordinary police power to break up arrest and dismantle the gangs. All GANGS. You see England can do that they have no Bill of Rights.

Actually, as has been pointed out, England had a Bill of Rights long before we were even colonized. If I remember rightly, their's dates back to the 12th Century. I'm sure Colin or Bob will correct me if I have that wrong but I believe theirs is part of the Magna Carta.

The Bill of Rights was enacted in 1689. Magna Carta is the one dating back to the twelfth century.

Ohhh, ok. Thanks!

I must read up on that. I find British history really fascinating... I'm usually pretty good at it but I was definitely wrong on this one. LOL

Actually, as has been pointed out, England had a Bill of Rights long before we were even colonized. If I remember rightly, their's dates back to the 12th Century. I'm sure Colin or Bob will correct me if I have that wrong but I believe theirs is part of the Magna Carta.

The Bill of Rights was enacted in 1689. Magna Carta is the one dating back to the twelfth century.

Ohhh, ok. Thanks!

I must read up on that. I find British history really fascinating... I'm usually pretty good at it but I was definitely wrong on this one. LOL

Check out Sir William Blackstone. His 'Commentaries on the Laws of England', published in 1766, had significant influence on the United states.

Ohhh, ok. Thanks!

BTW Cali, if you struggle with the structure of the British political landscape, try picking up a copy of "Who runs this place" by Anthony Sampson. Fabulous insight into who has power and who, just as importantly, is the power behind the throne. Unbiased, easy to read and completely fascinating.

There has been massive riots in Tottenham, London after the police shot a local dead

BBC News - London police shooting: Dead man was minicab passenger

It appears that early peaceful protest exploded into riots and the burning of shops, police cars and other buildings.

26 police were injured.

BBC News - London unrest: Tottenham's 'anger' over police shooting

Although some people put this down to a small section from outside the community, there is also talk of the lack of trust and respect between police and the community similar to that of the 1980's

Lefties gone wild.

Rioting spreads across London, to 3 other cities - World news - msnbc.com

Cut my benies will ya.

These riots are a dream come true for those who support totalitarian versions of government.

When the bruhaha is over (and it will pass when the kids get tired and the police become more organized) you can count on more public support for an even more efficient BIG BROTHER everybody's on camera police state.

Bad boys just want to have fun.

That's what this event is about, I suspect.

Yup... wonder how London is liking their diversity now...

Gangs of looters - who appeared to be teenagers and young adults from a range of different backgrounds - raided hundreds of shops and businesses across London, making off with TVs and other electrical goods, cigarettes, clothes and alcohol.

Read more: LONDON RIOTS: David Cameron returns home as police face gangs with petrol bombs | Mail Online

It's not just the people either. Everyone's getting in on the act.

Sinet Internet Cafe's Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

There has been massive riots in Tottenham, London after the police shot a local dead

It appears that early peaceful protest exploded into riots and the burning of shops, police cars and other buildings.

26 police were injured.

Although some people put this down to a small section from outside the community, there is also talk of the lack of trust and respect between police and the community similar to that of the 1980's

London rioters: "Showing the rich we do what we want"

BBC News - London rioters: 'Showing the rich we do what we want'

Yep... its all about the police :eusa_whistle:

26 police were injured.

Just heard a teenage girl say that she's having fun rioting. When asked why they were attacking people / places within their own community she opined "We're only targeting the rich. You know, people who own businesses".

:doubt:

Yep, because the poor bloke who owns a corner shop and works from 6am til 10pm 7 days a week is clearly getting rich quick and easy.

I'm not a violent person, but I'd love to slap that little bitch's face for the way she's attempting to justify being a scumbag. Then make her clean up the mess she's made. And work for the shop owner for free to get an idea of the financial cost of her night of fun.

Alternatively, find someone who's worse off than her and allow them to rip off her stuff because she's "rich" compared to them.

Army, water cannon, tear gas, curfew. Sooner the better.

Come on Theresa May you spineless cow, get with the program.

Just heard a teenage girl say that she's having fun rioting. When asked why they were attacking people / places within their own community she opined "We're only targeting the rich. You know, people who own businesses".

Yep, because the poor bloke who owns a corner shop and works from 6am til 10pm 7 days a week is clearly getting rich quick and easy.

I'm not a violent person, but I'd love to slap that little bitch's face for the way she's attempting to justify being a scumbag. Then make her clean up the mess she's made. And work for the shop owner for free to get an idea of the financial cost of her night of fun.

Alternatively, find someone who's worse off than her and allow them to rip off her stuff because she's "rich" compared to them.

If ya listen to the beginning... they've been up drinking all night. "FREE ALCOHOL"

From who?

Bunch of punks

Deport the animals that are not citizens and next riot shoot to kill.

what about the "animals", who are citizens?

Laws should be passed allowing extraordinary police power to break up arrest and dismantle the gangs. All GANGS. You see England can do that they have no Bill of Rights.

No Bill of Rights? England had a Bill of Rights 100 years before the USA was founded. Education's a great thing.

Bill of Rights 1689 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or indeed, 550 years before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta

Last edited:
what about the "animals", who are citizens?

No Bill of Rights? England had a Bill of Rights 100 years before the USA was founded. Education's a great thing.

Magna Carta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That BoR is not exactly the same thing as the US one.

Magna Carta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That BoR is not exactly the same thing as the US one.

Details details....

26 police were injured.

Water cannon is apparently inappopriate according to the police - wouldn't work. The army is not appropriate because this is criminality not civil war. A curfew could be considered and apparently the police have been given the right to use rubber bullets.

Watching the Turkish area of London on newsnight tonight. They are having none of it and chased the would be looters out and are now guarding their premises themselves but London has had 16,000 police on duty tonight and very little problems.

Manchester clearly just had a night of organised crime. Small gangs moving about even with leaders telling them time to move on as the police would soon be coming.

Watching newsnight they had a mixture of people who do believe there is a reason though also saw the rioting/looting as just that and people who just used words scum, no reason and so on. Everyone is agreed the first thing is law and order must be restored. Harriet Harman has just said on Newsnight she believes there are issues which do then need to be sorted.

Basically the right wing want to say there is nothing underneath this. They just can't bear to think that. I actually find that as frightening. This guy on the tv cannot even hear Harriet Harman say repeatedly she totally denounces what has happened. She finds it totally unacceptable

Now they want to know why there has been no rioting in Scotland ;)

Guy from Ed University believes it is because we have not yet felt the full force of the cuts and our Politicians are seen as more caring of the people. At the same time we have the same gross social inequality, marginalised youth and the dispossessed and it was also suggested that because we have less racial diversity, we have not been challenged where it is perceived England's police have a history of being racist.

They spoke of how people are going nuts if anyone suggests it could be anything other than mindless violence and how anyone who suggests this is being condemned. The panel in Scotland believe this does have a base reason of youth seeing no future. This is a reflection of people who are marginalised in society. That's what they believe even if how this is being expressed is, as it is, through mindless violence.

They wait to see whether we get started but are hopeful it will not spread here.

Details details....

What's in a name? :lol:

In fairness to the Brits, our Constitution was formulated from your Magna Carta. :eusa_angel:

It was indeed. And a damn poor job Britain does of making a big deal about it too.

If you go to Runnymede (where MC was signed), there is nothing at all to commemorate its signing. Well, nothing that the Brits put there anyway. There is a monument erected and paid for by the American Bar Association though! Wy wife was astonished when she saw it.

I've always thought it particularly sad that a foreign country should do more to recognize the significance of a piece of British history than Britain itself does. Makes me think of Jimmy Cagney's line as George M. Cohan: "Good job I wasn't born English. With the history their flag has I'd have waved myself to death!", or words to that effect (it's been a long time since I saw Yankee Doodle Dandy - great film).

New Topics

Forum List

Back