Riots in Tottenham

Discussion in 'Europe' started by alexa, Aug 7, 2011.

1. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    There has been massive riots in Tottenham, London after the police shot a local dead

BBC News - London police shooting: Dead man was minicab passenger

It appears that early peaceful protest exploded into riots and the burning of shops, police cars and other buildings.

26 police were injured.

BBC News - London unrest: Tottenham's 'anger' over police shooting

Although some people put this down to a small section from outside the community, there is also talk of the lack of trust and respect between police and the community similar to that of the 1980's

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,017
    There is always apologists when the animals riot and kill. My personal opinion is that when faced with unlawful mass riots the police should shoot to kill anyone being violent.

3. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Well you would be very unhappy in the UK. We take killing someone very seriously.

4. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,512
    I don't think RGS is suggesting indiscriminately gunning down protestors, I think. Though his reputation could yet pove me wrong.

Anyway... Am I reading the apparent condemnation and subsequent sympathy with the rioters wrongly? A man, armed with an illegal weapon, fired at the police. One policeman we understand from Friday's press only narrowly avoided serious injury when his radio deflected a bullet. The armed gunman was shot dead whilst firing at police. I'd say that justice has been done.

To condone, or even to try and understand, the position of those rioting and looting is completely illogical. To go further and try to give their actions some spurious international significance by suggesting this criminal activity is somehow related to, of a symptom of, the world wide financial crisis is to demonstrate a truly unbelievable moral relativism. Though it's funny how the rioters focus their (supposed) anger on the shops selling plasma TVs. I guess they need to keep up with the local news in HD.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,017
    Anyone threatening a policeman's life in a riot should be shot. There are not enough cops EVER in a riot. No risk should be taken by several police to subdue a violent person when surrounded by hundreds of law breakers. Throw bricks, get shot, brandish a knife get shot. Tackle a cop get shot. You would be amazed how fast the riot ends if that starts happening.

6. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    He wasn't threatening a policeman's life in a riot. Something which I am not sure of happened which apparently resulted in him being shot in a taxi but he had also fired at a policeman.

That is a separate issue to the riots which happened later. People are saying we will need to wait to see if this is an isolated incidence or whether it may give rise to copy cats in other areas of London.

Tottenham riots: This could happen in a dozen boroughs | Dave Hill | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

There is talk that the rioters and looters came in from other areas.

The news is now reporting concern that there could be bodies in some of the buildings burnt.

7. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Last night the rioting spread to other areas including Brixton which was where the main '81 riots were (I was working there at the time)

London riots spread south of Thames | UK news | guardian.co.uk

I would not be surprised if some of this was by organised gangs.

At the same time we saw from yesterday's link that these areas are full of the unemployed and youth gangs which cause the deaths of many innocent children. They tried to get economic input but were refused. The gangs are a disgrace to the UK.

A State has a responsibility to look out for all it's citizens. To give them all hope and opportunities. If not this kind of thing frequently happens....and history shows that, not any political viewpoint.

8. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,276
    The story said an illegal firearm was found inside the cab and that it had been fired. A bullet was found in the radio of one of the police officers. Course the story didn't say that the dead passenger fired the shot. That would be circumstantial evidence.

9. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,856

animals, huh?

nice one

10. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yes, they mention that in the first video I left although clearly there is a lot to to the story. It seems the family, friends and other locals wanted to know what had happened and the police left them waiting too long and then things took off. A lot of people just heard by Chinese whispers and the area has many gangs and high unemployment making a volatile 'anti police' reaction more likely.

Many locals are shocked at what has happened to their homes, shops and neighbourhood and for the first night it was suggested that people came in from nearby areas for the main looting and riotings.

Now you will see in my post previous to yours, last night saw several areas engage in 'copy cat' riots.

It does seem to be showing a situation which needs some attention in addition to all those who will be finding themselves in court today.