Riots in the 1960's

While those on the Right sit and wring their hands over some potential civil unrest, they have forgotten the motivations for the unrest of the 1960s. One motivation was the lack of civil rights protection. It seems there were social conservatives in the south unwilling to loose the reigns of power and grant African Americans the simple civil rights we take for granted today.

Another motivation was the draft. The meat grinder that was Vietnam took some of the best and brightest away to fight in that protracted and ultimately unwinnable war. Imagine if we had a draftee military today. Would people sit back and be as relatively indifferent to the two, protracted and ultimately unwinnable wars in Iraq and Afghanistan after ten years of combat and loss?

Those conservatives you speak of back in the 60s were Democrats. They couldn't keep the Civil Rights law from passing so now they are attempting to control the blacks by convincing them they can't be successful and they need THEM (the Democrats) to take care of them. The blacks who ignore this advice and make something of themselves are Republican.[/QUOTE

Actually, while you're trying (and failing) to revise history. Those dems you speak of, are now the states that are red. Check your history. Texas, mississippi, alabama, georgia, you name a red one I can tell you when it was blue. (Special note) The dems used to be known as the party of the KKK. I can just see Harry Reid in a klan robe now. OY

Perry fits that better.

The sixties were the time of youth and drugs and rebellion over a system many people found unjust stagnant and unfair to Blacks and women. They imitate in a way the Egyptian uprising or the other middle east conflicts. France too had the same phenomenon. Much good came from these times but also much backlash from the entrenched powers. The good was Blacks attained rights long denied and women got a freedom never before experienced. Along with the good came the backlash, the reactionary power of power. All times of change reveal these same dynamics.

It was also about a changing lifestyle. The rise of the brain over braun. Many of the 'hippies' later became instrumental in the rise of the new technology that now binds the world together. My one major regret is that at the time I did not chuck my lunch bucket and join that revolution. For a revolution it truly was and is.

The 60s and early 70's were a lot of fun if you were young and weren't getting your ass sent to Viet Nam.

For those of you who missed out on the be-ins, love ins, massive and cheap rock concerts and the whole HIPPIE thing?

My condolances.

Americans were STILL realtively wealthy back then and as kids we could afford to enjoy life in a way that I expect no younger generation of Americans is EVER going to have.

Yes, we were well off. Even though I was working and going to college, I had a new car when I wanted to have one. And did some traveling, although only in Canada and the US. I never worried about a job. When I was in college, I fitted the job around the classes. If the next semester, I could not make the fit, I quit the job and got another. So differant today. Got my first taste of reality in '72, quit school, and got serious about my trade. Still, in '75, the wife and I, with our 8 month old son, drove to Yellowknife, NWT, just because I had not seen the such an area before.

Didn't get involved in the scene of the '60s, much too busy working and going to school Wish I had. No interest in drugs, little in alcohol, but there were a lot of things going on that were changing our world.

The sixties were the time of youth and drugs and rebellion over a system many people found unjust stagnant and unfair to Blacks and women. They imitate in a way the Egyptian uprising or the other middle east conflicts. France too had the same phenomenon. Much good came from these times but also much backlash from the entrenched powers. The good was Blacks attained rights long denied and women got a freedom never before experienced. Along with the good came the backlash, the reactionary power of power. All times of change reveal these same dynamics.

It was also about a changing lifestyle. The rise of the brain over braun. Many of the 'hippies' later became instrumental in the rise of the new technology that now binds the world together. My one major regret is that at the time I did not chuck my lunch bucket and join that revolution. For a revolution it truly was and is.

A disturbing number became libertarians, IMO.

i remember the 60s when our military was being bleed white - amerikans by the millions filled the streets of every amerikan city carrying vietcong flags and attacking troops and teachers and students and burning buildings and blowing up the pentagon !

What a total fabrication!!! You're taking the actions of a few and putting them on millions. I was there and didn't, nor was anyone I knew "carrying vietcong flags and attacking troops and teachers and students and burning buildings and blowing up the pentagon". :eusa_liar:

Forum List

Back