Ring My Bell!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Do you give some change or a dollar or two to the Salvation Army Bell Ringer this time of the season?

Why or why not?

Do you give some change or a dollar or two to the Salvation Army Bell Ringer this time of the season?

Why or why not?
I don't give to religious organizations. A friend of mine's mother was in the Salvation Army till she found out they were anti gay rights, (this was many years ago so I don't know if it's still true). She stopped going to their church. One day a member stopped by to see why she had quit and she told them she and her husband had decided to be gay, would that be alright with the Army? LOL! They never came back to her house. Maybe they were don't ask, don't tell also.

I also have a group of small organizations I support regularly and anonymously.

I might give a bell ringer some spare change because I do really enjoy the bells.

Why or why not?

I'd say that throughout the season I give them perhaps $25-50 depending on my ability. This year is a lot leaner, but they do such great work. Not only with the homeless and addicted, as we found out in '87 with a horrendous flood, they are the first there, before even the National Guard.

I try to give but I don't have very much money.

It's the thought that counts dear. Even if you throw in a dime, think if everyone did that! I give a dollar everytime I leave the store. I feel lucky I can walk out of that store with groceries in my hand, where some don't know where/how they will be making their next meal.

It's the thought that counts dear. Even if you throw in a dime, think if everyone did that! I give a dollar everytime I leave the store. I feel lucky I can walk out of that store with groceries in my hand, where some don't know where/how they will be making their next meal.

yea I know I just feel bad I can't do more. Our church has been gathering presents for families that can't afford any this year. I'm on one of the distribution teams. It's going to be so nice to know that everyone in the family will be surprised on Christmas morning because we don't tell parents what we're doing. I don't think any of the families even go to our church, that makes it even more fun. :)

I heard on the radio today that donations to charities from individual ordinary people have not dropped. But corporate and wealthy individuals have been cutting back.

yea I know I just feel bad I can't do more. Our church has been gathering presents for families that can't afford any this year. I'm on one of the distribution teams. It's going to be so nice to know that everyone in the family will be surprised on Christmas morning because we don't tell parents what we're doing. I don't think any of the families even go to our church, that makes it even more fun. :)

Good for you! It's a great feeling helping others, not only during the Christmas Season, but all year long. We all have so much, why others have so little. Here is a :eusa_angel: for you!

Why or why not?

The Sally Army is one of the few religious groups I would ever give money to. The vast majority of them spend too much on administrative cost and political lobbying. But I've always felt that the S.A. spends the money at the sharp end - on people and causes that are really in dire straits.

I don't do Holiday Shopping,, but I do donate things to the Salvation Army Store that can be sold.. Our local rescue mission recycles plastics,, so I save every scrap, and they collect it and collect the fees. I also donate to food banks, and to the local Humane society..

I usually drop in whatever I have to spare. The Salvation Army does a lot of work to help the poor and disadvantage.

So glad you showed up. I thought I would end up the only one looking like Scrooge.
Scrooge-Does-Shanghai.jpg

I don't like to donate money to any group, but my company always pressures me to give to United Way so I end up doing to because of the high personal pressure. Id rather give to individuals myself or give items I no longer need. i gave a fax machine to a rehab for women & children and some furniture & clothes. Im really controlling about my donations.....he he

I don't like to donate money to any group, but my company always pressures me to give to United Way so I end up doing to because of the high personal pressure. Id rather give to individuals myself or give items I no longer need. i gave a fax machine to a rehab for women & children and some furniture & clothes. Im really controlling about my donations.....he he

The company I used to work for used to be the same about United Way. I thought that sucked.

The company I used to work for used to be the same about United Way. I thought that sucked.

They HIGHLY encourge us to donate to the United Way where I work too, I wonder if companies get some kind of reward if they have a lot of employees donate? Not that I mind, I've given to the Lupus Foundation every year, my sister in law and my friend from high school have both died from Lupus.

Forum List

Back