Rightwing Religious nuts defend Pat Robertson!!

Roberson is so off on his bible understanding with this one, that it is downright irk-some.

Interestingly, the current men's bible study that I'm involved with, is studying the book of John in the New Testament, and Jesus was confronted with a man blind from birth. His disciples asked if the man was blind because his parents sinned or the blind man himself sinned. Jesus, clearly said, "None of the above!!!!!!!!!!". He said that this man was blind so that God would be glorified.

Sound strange? Not really. Jesus healed that blind man, and the miraculous healing caused many to believe in Jesus as the Son of God.

As for disasters......Tsunami's, Earthquakes, etc.... If for any reason they might happen as a disciplinary action towards a wayward nation, the ultimate aim of God is that it will turn people to Him, and through repentance, as a result of exhausting their own feeble human powers to conquer life's trials.

I can't count the number of times that Israel, the "Apple in the Father's eyes" was disciplined by God when they started to fall away from worshipping HIm, and went into Baal, and other worships of the Canaanite area of Northern Africa. Often the chastizing came in the form of enemies encroaching into, and taking territory from Israel.

Job: Here's a perfect example that refutes Robertson's bent.

Job lost his family, through natural disaster, and plundering enemies, and he/himself was afflicted most severly with physical maladies that even caused his wife to tell him, "Why don't you just curse God and die".........To which, Job reprimanded his wife, and said that he would never do that.

Haiti: Ok, we all know that this country is a mish-mash of various beliefs, and non-beliefs. It Catholicism is rampant or tainted with old African, paganism, and South American Indian nuances. It certainly is not pure in it's biblical direction. In addition voodooism is also rampant in the rural areas of the island nation.

Does this mean that God wants to wipe Haiti's populous off the map? Far from it!!! As a bible Christian, who accepts or believes that there is a Maker of all things, and that He desires the admiration, praise, reciprical love, of His creation(man), He is indeed omnipotent. I do believe that nothing happens to us or this earth or this universe that isn't "allowed", or purposely done for a reason.

In the case of Haiti; does hate them for not being bible purists? NO!!! However He/God does desire that they as individuals and as a nation give reverence to Him who created them. That goes for Russia, China, USA, Yemen........etc... on and on.

Is God a cruel God as displayed through this terrible earthquake? Well, as a bible Christian, I believe God could have stopped this earthquake from occuring, but did not. Does this make Him a bad or cruel God.........or to some of you folks "a bad concept of God"? I don't. Remember back to Job. If one reads the first chapter or two of Job, one will ascertain that God loved Job, and even declared that non man walked the face of the earth who was a special to God as he/Job. Yet, in the very same book, God allows calamity after calamity to befall Job. Why.......? If one reads to the end of the book one will find that Job, though considered righteous to God, acquired an even tighter bond with God at the end of the story.

The basic tenants in the bible that run from the O.T. to the N.T. is God striving with man. God's striving with man is a constant soap opera of man repenting, receiving forgiveness, then man becoming gradually self sufficient or in no need of God, and straying into all kinds of self inflicted troubles again and again. The O.T., especially in Psalms is filled with both praise filled and woefull proclamations by man as he lives out this Yo yo existence of realizing that God is ultimately the wiser of the two, and is the best to manage and direct man's life.

Revelations says that in the end times, the human race will be split into two groups..........one group will shake an angry fist at God......and their mantra will be, "I'll do it my way!!".........and the other group will be characterized by those of a contrite, humble soul, that has finally allowed their Maker to take the pilot seat of their lives.

From the Judeau/Christian viewpoint; man's trials and struggles on planet earth are but a time of separating out the grain from the weeds or the sheep from the goats. God allows life to be hard, for those he loves, as the hardness of life via God's intentions is to bring man to a point of "surrender", not unlike what one might call a break-down. God is no respecter of man's wealth, deeds/accomplishments, that are all sourced from a self-centered soul, that has no room to entertaiin or reverence it's Maker. As the bible states, God's wealth is incomprehensible,........"He owns a thousands of cattle on thousands of hills......." I.E.. infinite wealth.

Through all of man's endeavors to succeed on this terrestrial ball called earth, the bible reveals that the greatest wealth is not the physical, but the spiritual that comes from "knowing God" in a personal relationship that gives security, peace that passeth all understanding, joy, and the ability to love one's enemy. God is not against man puting a roof over his family and giving them the healthy essentials of life, but He does want man to put this endeavor into proper perspective when looking at the big picture of the gift of human life.

Haiti's plight can potentially create throughout the world and our own nation/USA, a new and better perspective about life. We fat, and well fed Americans that term poverty as owning only one television, and one running-water tap, and one toilet, have a lot to learn from Hait's plight. Life is not possessing things as much as it is possessing a secure soul, that is in harmony with it's Creator.

We American Christians don't realize what the life of Christians can and is in many parts of the world. Owning a car or a television, or going to school, or having a home with a backyard..............doesn't even compute with these people. Their desires make should embarrass us! They desire to see their children just grow to adulthood without dieing of Cholera, disentery, etc... They often just pray that the seeds they've tilled into their ground will get watered from the sky, and not die from drought. Just having a well to draw non-contaminated water is a euphoric desire.

Haiti may or may not be receiving some action from God that drives them to their collective knees, but this catastrophe is a reminder and message to the Western world, that we have strayed, as Israel of old did numerous times, and neglected the basic essentials of what life is all about in a blind crusade to acquire the physical that will one day rust away, or be eaten-away by moths.

Calamities are monumental "tests" that show what people are made of. As we have already read and heard, there are "looters", and dangerous gangs roaming the capital of Haiti as well as the stricken rural areas taking full advantage of this situation. We see that the Haitian populous does have an ethical divide showing itself through this disaster. There are those who are rising up that have no respect for their fellow man/woman/child, and are willing to forego conscience and pillage the "weak" and "down trodden". There is also word coming of Haitians helping other Haitians, in such incredible ways, risking life and limb to save other lives, though they-themselves are pitifully poor by earthly measurements. Indeed they are richer than the materially richest person on earth in God's eyes.

What do we well fed humans do? We debate the reasons for the Haitians receiving this plight.......This is the time when self-intro-spect needs to be considered. We debate if God is good or bad, or if the Haitians deserve punishment or not, and all along, we should be looking in our own mirrors and pointing that index finger at ourselves.

What have we prioritized in our lives? Have we neglected to be thankful, even though we have endured hardships. Have these hardships made us stronger in the right way? I.E. have we come to a point of surrendering our agenda, and allowed our Maker's agenda to fill in the unquenchable void in our souls, that we have been attempting to quench or feed through "things" that will not last the test of eternity?

I will finish with this one special quote from the bible. Paul had a physical affliction that he asked God to take away from him. Paul said that he prayed many times, asking God to lift this "thorn in the flesh" from him.. There has been much speculation as what this "thorn in the flesh" was, but no one knows. All we know, is that it was a major "bother" to Paul. Now Paul was a man who had endured numerous lashes, beatings, imprisonments yet never complained of those instances, yet he asked for this physical malady/thorn-in-the-flesh to be removed.

God answer was a flat, "No". Instead of entreating God anymore, Paul said, "Ok. It's answered, and the answer is no. I'm fine with that.". Now what Paul said after that is profound, and foreign to our secularized society here in the USA and the Western world. Paul basically said, since this malady weakens me, "I will be satisfied in my weakness, as it is God's way of becoming the strength in me". I paraphrased the bible verse, but it means the same. Paul taught a humungous lesson to mankind in those few verses.

God can't be God in man's life until man gives up the reigns and move's aside and lets God take the steering wheel, throttle, brake pedal, and also the map of ones life/soul.

Man will not give up the reigns to God except by being brought to his/her's knees.........Call it giving up........Call it repentance........whatever........It is raising one's white flag, and admitting that one has been one's own captain, navigator, pilot/co-pilot of one's life long enough.

The AA Serenity prayer says it all.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

You do realize all this buffoonery is just because I, Pat Robertson, exerted my right to free speech and religion, right?

A perfect example of exactly how the left likes to support freedom of speech.

Oh shut the fuck up.

No one is suggesting we censor Pat Robertson.

All we're saying is that Mr. Robertson is a fucking moron and a putrid pile of scum.

This would be us exercising our right to free speech.

By the way I don't consider myself part of the left but I still included myself in us because I'd gladly join a chorus to mock Pat.

"As long as everything is going well we live as if we are never going to die," he said. "Then crisis hits and death slaps us in the face. Rather than humbling ourselves and searching our hearts like the Pilgrims did, we lash out at God and anyone who dares insinuate Him into our lives."

"A simple reading of the Bible shows how God uses natural disasters to further his purposes," Cass said. "Earthquakes, floods, famine, locusts, etc. they're all there, but man hates it. Rather than humbly acknowledging that God's ways are not our ways, man rails against and accuses God. The last thing they will do is cry out for his mercy in Jesus Christ."

What's wrong with it?

I think you guys should worry about Harry Reid your democrat leader and why he wasn't ousted.

What on earth does Harry Reid have to do with this?

I am pointing out the hypocisy.

Harry Reid is a powerful democrat politician who said something racist that should have got him ousted. Instead, the dems are all supporting him.

Part Robertson is a private citizen and his words are examined with a fine tooth comb by the liberals in order to find something that they can make an issue about.

And this excuses Pat Robertson from making false statements like 'Haiti made a pack with the devil' how, exactly?

Yours is a you too fallacy.

What on earth does Harry Reid have to do with this?

Harry Reid is a powerful democrat politician who said something racist that should have got him ousted. Instead, the dems are all supporting him.

Part Robertson is a private citizen and his words are examined with a fine tooth comb by the liberals in order to find something that they can make an issue about.

And this excuses Pat Robertson from making false statements like 'Haiti made a pack with the devil' how, exactly?

every post cmike makes contains a fallacy or two

every post cmike makes contains a fallacy or two

Yeah Reid is a private citizen and Robertson is a powerful democrat politician:cuckoo:

Then you have Robert Byrd who for years has been the Democrat whip (I guess that's appropriate) in the senate.

Byrd was a grand lizard of the KKK.

Recently? what year was this again? :eusa_whistle:

Doesn't matter, he was a leader in a heinous organization.

I don't just mean the democrat party.

Wow.. Are you aware the KKK is a christian organization?? Do you even know anything you are babbling about?? Or are you just trying to get political points against someone who was a member of the KKK before he knew what the KKK stood for and when he found out he left?? Do you even research your history or just babble on like an idiot..

The KKK is a christian organization and Byrd was a member before he knew what they stood for.. He then left the KKK when he learned what they stood for..

When running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.[8] However, in 1946 or 1947 he wrote a letter to a Grand Wizard stating, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state in the nation."[13]

In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics, but to "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[14] In his latest autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[15] Byrd also said, in 2005,

“ I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened. ”
— Robert C. Byrd, [8]

Recently? what year was this again? :eusa_whistle:

Wow.. Are you aware the KKK is a christian organization?? Do you even know anything you are babbling about?? Or are you just trying to get political points against someone who was a member of the KKK before he knew what the KKK stood for and when he found out he left?? Do you even research your history or just babble on like an idiot..

The KKK is a christian organization and Byrd was a member before he knew what they stood for.. He then left the KKK when he learned what they stood for..

When running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.[8] However, in 1946 or 1947 he wrote a letter to a Grand Wizard stating, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state in the nation."[13]

In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics, but to "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[14] In his latest autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[15] Byrd also said, in 2005,

“ I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened. ”
— Robert C. Byrd, [8]

KKK is a "Christian" organization by Name-only. It is far from biblical, or following the teachings of Christ.

I really get tired of folks branding organizations "Christian" that do unethical or wrong things as a means of attacking true Christianity, that is light-years in difference.

How about the YMCA..........What is Christian about it........Young Mens Christian Association. There was even once a YWCA too.

Sure it does good humanitarian, social things for the community, but does it teach specific biblical tenents?

Hitler claimed to be a Christian along with many of the Nazi's, yet they imprisoned biblical Christians, right along with Jews, gypsies, mentally disturbed etc...

Just had about enough with this branding everything that uses the "Christian" name/noun as biblical, and Holy Spirit directed which is what Christianity is all about. Just read the N.T. book of John, and you will never, never bunch the KKK, Reverend Wright's church, etc... with true, biblical Christianity.

— Robert C. Byrd, [8]

KKK is a "Christian" organization by Name-only. It is far from biblical, or following the teachings of Christ.

I really get tired of folks branding organizations "Christian" that do unethical or wrong things as a means of attacking true Christianity, that is light-years in difference.

How about the YMCA..........What is Christian about it........Young Mens Christian Association. There was even once a YWCA too.

Sure it does good humanitarian, social things for the community, but does it teach specific biblical tenents?

Hitler claimed to be a Christian along with many of the Nazi's, yet they imprisoned biblical Christians, right along with Jews, gypsies, mentally disturbed etc...

Just had about enough with this branding everything that uses the "Christian" name/noun as biblical, and Holy Spirit directed which is what Christianity is all about. Just read the N.T. book of John, and you will never, never bunch the KKK, Reverend Wright's church, etc... with true, biblical Christianity.

I remember at the YMCA we sang songs that had to do with God and stuff (not very good ones, but that's just me), but I can't remember them reading from the Bible or anything like that.

I do remember though it being a great place to trade Pokemon with others.

— Robert C. Byrd, [8]

Then stop calling us liberals, tree huggers, facist, communist, and countless other names..

In either case, no religion I am iffilated with has had anything to do with the killing of countless innocent people.. Be it burning witches or lynching black people.. Christians have and I have yet to see one take resposibility for anything that christians have done past or present.. How bout the killing of Mathew Sheppard?? A teenage boy was beaten and left for dead and died at the hands of christians because he was gay..

If you don't like the lable then don't put it on yourself.. Or?? Do something about the christians that do these evil things.. Christians need to clean up their own ranks.. You don't want people like me on forums blasting christians.. Then how bout some of you get up and condemn Pat Robertson for what he is saying?? Instead of supporting it.. How bout you write about that?? How bout you council other christians into supporting gay marriage as it is the christians thing to do..

We lable you because you do nothing about it.. We label you because you defend people like Robertson.. We label you because it fits.. When it doesn't fit we will stop labeling you..

I am a liberal.. And there isn't one christian on here that knows what that means..

one glaring mistake..katrina did not destory the pagan french quarter as it was called here..the "sliver on the river" survived....which is the french quarter and part of canal street...i do believe the graveyard st louis cemetary #1 survived the resting place of voodoo queen and high priestess of many....
marie laveau.

i didnt see anything concerning the "mark of cain" why was that tossed into the discussion and does the op really understand the "mark of cain"?

i didnt see anything concerning the "mark of cain" why was that tossed into the discussion and does the op really understand the "mark of cain"?

Of course not.. You forgot the people of Haiti are black.. Black skin is believed to be the Mark of Cain.. Still the OP is correct..

Last edited:
Be it burning witches or lynching black people.. Christians have and I have yet to see one take resposibility for anything that christians have done past or present..

Unless they were personally involved, why should they take responsibility for those deeds?

— Robert C. Byrd, [8]

Then stop calling us liberals, tree huggers, facist, communist, and countless other names..

In either case, no religion I am iffilated with has had anything to do with the killing of countless innocent people.. Be it burning witches or lynching black people.. Christians have and I have yet to see one take resposibility for anything that christians have done past or present.. How bout the killing of Mathew Sheppard?? A teenage boy was beaten and left for dead and died at the hands of christians because he was gay..

If you don't like the lable then don't put it on yourself.. Or?? Do something about the christians that do these evil things.. Christians need to clean up their own ranks.. You don't want people like me on forums blasting christians.. Then how bout some of you get up and condemn Pat Robertson for what he is saying?? Instead of supporting it.. How bout you write about that?? How bout you council other christians into supporting gay marriage as it is the christians thing to do..

We lable you because you do nothing about it.. We label you because you defend people like Robertson.. We label you because it fits.. When it doesn't fit we will stop labeling you..

I am a liberal.. And there isn't one christian on here that knows what that means..

Way to prove the point that liberals are mindless turds, and further contradicting your own claim to outrage over being lumped together with the unsavory members of your own.

Aside from the Catholic Church, which isn't truly Christian at any rate, kindly tell me what Christian-church sanctioned group that has lynched anyone, that burned witches, etc.

BTW, the Salem Witch trials were carried out by the law of the period. The governor sat by and watched it. It wasn't a "church" thing.

And Chrisitans do know what liberals are. They are ignorant, elitist assholes like yourself who feel perfectly comfortable in spewing hatred and lies about Christians, and have no problem with trampling their rights.

Way to prove the point that liberals are mindless turds, and further contradicting your own claim to outrage over being lumped together with the unsavory members of your own.

Aside from the Catholic Church, which isn't truly Christian at any rate, kindly tell me what Christian-church sanctioned group that has lynched anyone, that burned witches, etc.

BTW, the Salem Witch trials were carried out by the law of the period. The governor sat by and watched it. It wasn't a "church" thing.

And Chrisitans do know what liberals are. They are ignorant, elitist assholes like yourself who feel perfectly comfortable in spewing hatred and lies about Christians, and have no problem with trampling their rights.

I can sum up your post in two senteces.

"How dare you badmouth and stereotype Christians. You're just some typical elitist asshole liberal."

Forum List

Back