Righties Say Tax The Poor

You didnt live through the 1970s, did you?

Sure I did. Unlike you, though, my memory reaches before that, too, and I've studied enough history to know that there was a time before Jimmy Carter became president. :tongue:

Oh -- also, I bet you blame Carter for the problems of the '70s and think Reagan fixed 'em? Don't you? Ha! Here's the secret of that time.

Economy turned sour in 1973 (under Nixon not Carter, but it wasn't his fault, either).

Economy recovered in 1983.

OPEC oil embargo began in 1973, followed by ten years of jacked-up oil prices.

North Sea oil came on the market in 1983, breaking OPEC's stranglehold.

Nothing to do with any U.S. government policies under any of the four presidents (Nixon, Ford, Carter, and Reagan) through those years.

a) so if it wasn't nixons fault, who's was it?

b) opec did what exactly and when in response to the "north sea" oil coming online?

c) nothing to do with gov. policies? really? and, you've 'studied history'? seriously?

It is quibbling.

Look, the point is that we had our highest growth and best performing economy under very high tax rates. That the last few years were at 77% instead of 91% -- THAT'S a quibble. It doesn't refute what I'm saying in any way.

Further, the economic landscape of the 1950s/60s was vastly different from today. Then the U.S. was basically the sole manufacturing power in the world. The Germans and Japanese were just starting to catch on.

LOL wrong! Myth! Every industrial power in the world except the Germans and Japanese emerged from the war with MORE industrial capacity than they went into it. The British, the French, the Italians, the Norwegians, Dutch, Danes, and of course the Swedes and Swiss, who were neutrals and weren't even scratched, were even more competition for us after the war was over than they had been in 1940. Even Germany and Japan had fully recovered by the mid-1950s.

The "last man standing" meme is total BS.

France Italy etc. , the occupied countries, came OUT of ww2 with MORE manufacturing capacity? France I can see, maybe? italy? Uhm, I don't think so.

uhm, can I see some links to that please, and of course a comparison would be good, more than what? 1938?

That's why France dominated this country with its steel and auto exports. Don't you remember a Citroen in every garage?

Sure I did. Unlike you, though, my memory reaches before that, too, and I've studied enough history to know that there was a time before Jimmy Carter became president. :tongue:

Oh -- also, I bet you blame Carter for the problems of the '70s and think Reagan fixed 'em? Don't you? Ha! Here's the secret of that time.

Economy turned sour in 1973 (under Nixon not Carter, but it wasn't his fault, either).

Nothing to do with any U.S. government policies under any of the four presidents (Nixon, Ford, Carter, and Reagan) through those years.

b) opec did what exactly and when in response to the "north sea" oil coming online?

c) nothing to do with gov. policies? really? and, you've 'studied history'? seriously?
The policies of a government have no effect on an economy, unless it is the policies of George W Bush. Didn't you read that in your history class?

Nixon took the country off the gold standard, instituted wage and price freezes in response to inflation, instituted a huge number of new regulatory agencies, and probably a few other bad policies. But I never heard Carter blame Nixon for all of it. Strange. That makes Carter a better president than Obama.

Still support a minimum income tax of about 2 to 3% on everyone. No way around it. You pay 2 to 3%, I don't care how big your mortgage is.

By Michael McAuliff

WASHINGTON -- The nation's ongoing economic downturn has sparked an odd response from a growing number of conservative and Republican leaders: a desire to blame the unfortunate and a demand for the poor to pay more.

More: Tax The Poor: Forget Occupy Wall Street, Conservatives Have A Different Idea

So let me get this straight the rich should fork over 90% of their gross income to the government and the poor should be allowed to keep 100% of their gross income (if any) and receive subsidies on top of that?

So why become wealthy in the first place???

Why work hard to succeed???

It seems the premise of all progressive arguments is that the rich should financially support the poor via the government.

What incentive do the "poor" have to be successful if the rich are forced to just provide anything the "poor" demands??

No incentive.....

It seems the premise of all progressive arguments is that the rich should financially support the poor via the government.

What incentive do the "poor" have to be successful if the rich are forced to just provide anything the "poor" demands??

No incentive.....

I understand the concept, in general.

But in the last two years, my little branch office (of a large corporation) has adopted families for Christmas including paying off 1000 gas bills that were in arears.

When we have delivered the goods (in one case about two pickups worth), the family was in a nice three bedroom townhouse that had a flatscreen TV with a gameboy hooked to it. Everyone in the house seemed to have a cell phone. They were very grateful for the gifts (a lot of gifts including a lot of food).

But that was it for me. I decided this year to put my money someplace where I know it was needed.

IOW.....how could someone who seemingly (and maybe there is a good explanation) has a lot of stuff....ask others to cough up more for Christmas. My kids never had the Christmas these kids had last year (and I could have afforded...but I never would have done it).

So, my main point being that while I want to help those who need help...I am just not sure we really understand who it is that really needs our help and who it is that has gotten hooked on the handout.

It is quibbling.

Look, the point is that we had our highest growth and best performing economy under very high tax rates. That the last few years were at 77% instead of 91% -- THAT'S a quibble. It doesn't refute what I'm saying in any way.

Further, the economic landscape of the 1950s/60s was vastly different from today. Then the U.S. was basically the sole manufacturing power in the world. The Germans and Japanese were just starting to catch on.

LOL wrong! Myth! Every industrial power in the world except the Germans and Japanese emerged from the war with MORE industrial capacity than they went into it. The British, the French, the Italians, the Norwegians, Dutch, Danes, and of course the Swedes and Swiss, who were neutrals and weren't even scratched, were even more competition for us after the war was over than they had been in 1940. Even Germany and Japan had fully recovered by the mid-1950s.

France Italy etc. , the occupied countries, came OUT of ww2 with MORE manufacturing capacity? France I can see, maybe? italy? Uhm, I don't think so.

uhm, can I see some links to that please, and of course a comparison would be good, more than what? 1938?

hellooooo DRAGON, where for art thou?

By Michael McAuliff

WASHINGTON -- The nation's ongoing economic downturn has sparked an odd response from a growing number of conservative and Republican leaders: a desire to blame the unfortunate and a demand for the poor to pay more.

More: Tax The Poor: Forget Occupy Wall Street, Conservatives Have A Different Idea

Look my anti-semitic friend, it's more like "Lefties say Righties say tax the poor". Nobody is calling to "tax the poor". What many on the right are saying is when you have 50%+ with no skin in th game, you have a problem. The tax burden is way out of whack and needs to be addressed. We all agree that there has to be a certain level of income should be tax exempt... but there is no way that 50%+ of Americans are that poor.

hellooooo DRAGON, where for art thou?

Dragon has left the room....

Forum List

Back