Ridiculous

Cimerian

Jun 28, 2011
So I have a son headed to college this year. Unfortunatly he has not been vaccinated for Chicken pox. I mean why would he? He had chicken pox when he was 4. He can not enter college next year until he has a chicken pox vaccine. So now we had to make an appointment with a doctor so that he can get a paper signed saying he is ok for chicken pox. I mean really? This is a state school using federal mandates. How much are we spending to ensure everyone has had chicken pox? We now actually have to bother a busy physician to sign a stupid form saying he is immune to chicken pox. What has our government become? And you wonder why medicare costs are rising?

So I have a son headed to college this year. Unfortunatly he has not been vaccinated for Chicken pox. I mean why would he? He had chicken pox when he was 4. He can not enter college next year until he has a chicken pox vaccine. So now we had to make an appointment with a doctor so that he can get a paper signed saying he is ok for chicken pox. I mean really? This is a state school using federal mandates. How much are we spending to ensure everyone has had chicken pox? We now actually have to bother a busy physician to sign a stupid form saying he is immune to chicken pox. What has our government become? And you wonder why medicare costs are rising?

My oldest got the chicken pox two weeks before first grade ended. Despite me shoving the two younger ones in her face they never did get it and I did end up getting them the vaccine. I really, really wish they had gotten chicken pox instead. My oldest is now entering her final year of college and they never made any comment whatsoever about her not having a chicken pox shot. Why the hell would she have the shot when she had the virus??

Although still in high school, I never had my youngest receive the final set of shots (her brother is in the autistic spectrum and we were concerned at the time about possible shots/connection to autism). Anyway, we just signed an exemption that says she wasn't vaccinated and that if an outbreak occurs we must pull her from school.

Check into this. They will tell you it's mandated but I bet a buck you can get an exemption. Make a fuss if they get pushy.

My oldest got the chicken pox two weeks before first grade ended. Despite me shoving the two younger ones in her face they never did get it and I did end up getting them the vaccine. I really, really wish they had gotten chicken pox instead. My oldest is now entering her final year of college and they never made any comment whatsoever about her not having a chicken pox shot. Why the hell would she have the shot when she had the virus??

Although still in high school, I never had my youngest receive the final set of shots (her brother is in the autistic spectrum and we were concerned at the time about possible shots/connection to autism). Anyway, we just signed an exemption that says she wasn't vaccinated and that if an outbreak occurs we must pull her from school.

Check into this. They will tell you it's mandated but I bet a buck you can get an exemption. Make a fuss if they get pushy.

I'm more amazed that a government is requiring this than anything. I know that if I push they will listen. The biggest question is the government is making me reduce availability of a doctor to someone else for something that is completely un-needed. And we wonder why health care costs are so high?

I'm more amazed that a government is requiring this than anything. I know that if I push they will listen. The biggest question is the government is making me reduce availability of a doctor to someone else for something that is completely un-needed.

Why are you amazed? How is the government "making [you] reduce availability of a doctor]?

why would you be silly enough to want an exemption from the vaccine?

I'm more amazed that a government is requiring this than anything. I know that if I push they will listen. The biggest question is the government is making me reduce availability of a doctor to someone else for something that is completely un-needed.

Why are you amazed? How is the government "making [you] reduce availability of a doctor]?

Why would he need a chicken pox vaccine when he had the chicken pox and is already immune to it?

Um can you read? Hello he already had the virus. Hello he has to make an entire appointment with a doctor now. Do you not understand that if I am bothering a doctor with crap he can not spend that time doing what he is suppossed to be doing?

Why would he need a chicken pox vaccine when he had the chicken pox and is already immune to it?

That would require to much common sense. Have you ever known the government to use that?

Even if your kid didn't get the pox before, why would the school care? If all the other students had the shot then what would be the danger to them?

The school cares because they require students to be vaccinated for chicken pox.

In that age group, chicken pox can be deadly. And people can get it twice.

"
It is not possible to predict who will have a mild case of chickenpox and who will have a serious or even deadly case of disease. Even with uncomplicated cases, children with chickenpox miss an average of 5-6 days of school, and parents or other caregivers miss 3-4 days of work to care for sick children. Compared with children, adults are at increased risk of complications related to chickenpox.
Vaccination is the best way to prevent infection with varicella—the virus that causes chickenpox—both in an individual and in the community. Widespread vaccination also reduces the risk of exposure to infection for persons at risk for serious disease who cannot be vaccinated because of illness or other conditions. The vaccine is safe and effective, and should be used to prevent as many cases as possible.
To learn more about the benefits of immunization and how vaccines work, visit the CDC varicella vaccination web site. "

"
How is evidence of immunity defined?

Evidence of immunity includes any of the following:
  • Documentation of two doses of varicella vaccine
  • Blood tests that show you are immune to varicella or laboratory confirmation of prior disease
  • Born in the United States before 1980, excluding health-care workers, pregnant women, and immunocompromised persons. These individuals need to meet one of the other criteria for evidence of immunity.
  • Receipt from a healthcare provider of a) a diagnosis of chickenpox or b) verification of a history of chickenpox
  • Receipt from a healthcare provider of a) a diagnosis of herpes zoster (shingles) or b) verification of a history of herpes zoster (shingles).

You do NOT need the chickenpox vaccine, if you meet any of the above criteria for evidence of immunity."
Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Varicella/General Vaccine FAQs

Mandates like this are why health care costs are skyrocketing. It is worse when government mandates not only that people get something, but that insurance cover it. So basically you have a situation where pretty much everyone is forced to buy a service from a company, and insurance companies are forced to cover medical costs that should never be included in their plans (like acupuncture). And people blame high costs on the market? What market?

No, its NOT ridiculous.

Controlling infectious diseases like chickenpox is a good thing.

It will take your doctor's SECRETARY a minute or two to certify that your son had chickenpox.

The school cares because they require students to be vaccinated for chicken pox.

In that age group, chicken pox can be deadly. And people can get it twice.

Again, if most of the people have had the vaccination then why the big deal?

We all interact with dozens, hundreds, and thousands of people. At church, the grocery store, the shopping mall, at work. People aren't contracting chicken pox like its a pandemic. So why would a college care about it?

If YOU are so worried about catching something, YOU get the vaccine. Making someone else get it is pretty stupid.

I'm more amazed that a government is requiring this than anything. I know that if I push they will listen. The biggest question is the government is making me reduce availability of a doctor to someone else for something that is completely un-needed. And we wonder why health care costs are so high?

What does the government have to do with the college asking you to get your son a shot? You don't need to see a doc - go to some "Doc In The Box" and have a nurse or PA administer it. What's the big deal?

He is not immune to Chicken Pox. If he ever had it it is still sitting in the nerve cells waiting to come back someday.

Shingles (Herpes Zoster Virus) Pictures Slideshow: A Collection of Photos on MedicineNet.com

Forum List

Back