ridiculous, a group of jackasses sues to remove crosses from troopers death sites

Federal appeals court says highways' crosses are unconstitutional - CNN.com

fucking ridiculous. a complete waste of our judicial system's time. I hope the family of the troopers killed sues if/when the crosses are actually removed.

If the crosses were on private land, this would be a non-issue. As it stands, I doubt any counter lawsuit would gain any traction.

I respect the desire to honor fallen state troopers, however it is a little ignorant to assume they were all Christians or even religious. Do we specifically know that these troopers would want a memorial to them to be an expression of religion? Why not choose a badge?

Look at it another way: have you ever seen the cemeteries of the fallen American Soldiers on Normandy Beach?

Did anyone ever insist that a Jewish soldier had to be buried under a cross headstone? Would you want to be buried under a Star of David (assuming you are a Christian)?

Instead of counter-suing (which is a loser case), a rational solution is for someone to donate private land along the highway and move the memorial.

Instead of going into histrionics over the matter, why not start a fund and organization to buy the land and do such a thing?

fucking ridiculous. a complete waste of our judicial system's time. I hope the family of the troopers killed sues if/when the crosses are actually removed.

If the crosses were on private land, this would be a non-issue. As it stands, I doubt any counter lawsuit would gain any traction.

I respect the desire to honor fallen state troopers, however it is a little ignorant to assume they were all Christians or even religious. Do we specifically know that these troopers would want a memorial to them to be an expression of religion? Why not choose a badge?

Look at it another way: have you ever seen the cemeteries of the fallen American Soldiers on Normandy Beach?

Did anyone ever insist that a Jewish soldier had to be buried under a cross headstone? Would you want to be buried under a Star of David (assuming you are a Christian)?

Instead of counter-suing (which is a loser case), a rational solution is for someone to donate private land along the highway and move the memorial.

Instead of going into histrionics over the matter, why not start a fund and organization to buy the land and do such a thing?

This was in Utah, Geaux.

But everyone on the left is going nuts because Obamma's Muslim buddies are getting their chops busted putting up a building in lower Manhattan.If it's a cross,if it's a Nativity scene,if it's one nation under God in the pledge of allegiance in classrooms,if it's wishing someone a Merry Christmas at Christmas well the ACLU and all the Dems will bust you in the ass about it.Muslims,well they get a free pass.Hmmmmm I wonder why?

This was in Utah, Geaux.

I know. Everyone is Utah is a Christian?

But everyone on the left is going nuts because Obamma's Muslim buddies are getting their chops busted putting up a building in lower Manhattan.If it's a cross,if it's a Nativity scene,if it's one nation under God in the pledge of allegiance in classrooms,if it's wishing someone a Merry Christmas at Christmas well the ACLU and all the Dems will bust you in the ass about it.Muslims,well they get a free pass.Hmmmmm I wonder why?

Why do you guys not get the concept of public land vs. private land?

do muslims own land inside the pentagon? welldotheyhuh?

do muslims own land inside the pentagon? welldotheyhuh?

Do Christians? They pray there too. The issue isn't whether it's legal for a person to practice their religion on a federal installment. It's whether one religion is being favored over another.

This was in Utah, Geaux.

With 75% of the population of Utah being members of the Church of LDS, I'd say chances are all the fallen Troopers were Christian, and I'd suspect it they were not, the would have elected the appropriate symbol of their faith, or just a sign in they were non-religious.

Latter-day Saint Demographics/LDS Statistics/ Mormon statistics Listed under "Other Utah Statistics"

This was in Utah, Geaux.

With 75% of the population of Utah being members of the Church of LDS, I'd say chances are all the fallen Troopers were Christian, and I'd suspect it they were not, the would have elected the appropriate symbol of their faith, or just a sign in they were non-religious.

Latter-day Saint Demographics/LDS Statistics/ Mormon statistics Listed under "Other Utah Statistics"

But we aren't playing odds here and we don't know what the fallen troopers would have elected.

Furthermore, it misses the real point, this is a tacit endorsement of religion on public land. People can piss and moan about it, but it doesn't make it any less illegal.

As I said, if this were on private land or if the symbols were secular, it would be a non-issue.

But we aren't playing odds here and we don't know what the fallen troopers would have elected.

Furthermore, it misses the real point, this is a tacit endorsement of religion on public land. People can piss and moan about it, but it doesn't make it any less illegal.

As I said, if this were on private land or if the symbols were secular, it would be a non-issue.

Just come out and say you hate Christianity, we'll all respect you more.

We do know that it wasn't the families of the fallen Troopers that brought the suit.

Would this be acceptable?

220px-John_Basilone_headstone_Arlington_National_Cemetery_section_12_site_384.JPG

Still a cross, and on government land.

We do know that it wasn't the families of the fallen Troopers that brought the suit.

Would this be acceptable?

220px-John_Basilone_headstone_Arlington_National_Cemetery_section_12_site_384.JPG

Still a cross, and on government land.

This was the exact point I was making earlier. This is protected because the cross is viewed as this individual service member's expression of religion as it is his headstone.

What if he were Jewish and the policy was that everyone had to be buried under a cross?

Completely different.

You gotta know it's just a matter of time before Women or men for that matter who have a Crucifix necklace showing under their shirt will be told to either button up or remove it.

Forum List

Back