Ricky Williams- A Profile in Courage

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
I'd just finished watching the Ricky Williams interview on CBS' 60 minutes. I'd watched Mike Wallace drill Williams from top to bottom on all aspects of his sudden retirement. In the end , Mike stood there in awe as Williams answered his questions and more.

Freedom was the certerpoint of Williams argument; citing that he was tired of the fast cars, women, and the celebrity status, which had led to a life of misery and drugs.

Before his interview, my attitude towards Williams was that he was selfish; but after that interview, I saw a man with many issues who'd retired in pursuit for inner peace.

Had he continued his career, it would had been possible that the Dolphins would had won a Super Bowl...

:bsflag:

As a former Barry Sanders fan, I now feel rather guilty in my attitude towards him. As a fan, I'd felt more like a slave owner; demanding Sanders to play for the Lions; now I feel more like a fool, wanting to have some control over something; I, as well as other Lions fans, wanted to take away Barry Sanders' freedom; no wonder he'd left; he wanted to be free.

Ricky Williams' honest answers to Mike Wallace's questions may bring closure to many Dolphins' fans. His testimony lives up to the old saying, "Be carefull of what you ask for; you just might get it.". In layman's terms, it wasn't in his nature to live such a life.

So make fun of his marijuana smoking and his selfishness. To myself, I now see a man who is in a war with himself, and is now winning. It is the fans who are truly selfish; we throw money in their faces, in exchange they do their little tricks for our amusement; and we remind them of what we're doing in a manner all too degrading; ask Ron Artest. To such fans I now say this, "You need to get some freedom in your life".

As far as the NFL owners are concerned, I think they need to consider psycho analysis as a significant factor in drafting football players. It's no use to draft a 6-6, 225, 4.1 receiver if his interests are somewhere other than in football. I now feel that it is the responsibility of the team to recruit players who really want to play for them.

Thanks Ricky for reminding people that athletes are human beings, not robots. If I were Ricky Williams, I would had closed that interview with the following...

"Kiss it!!! I'm not your whore...I want my life back...Bye!"

hylandrdet said:
I'd just finished watching the Ricky Williams interview on CBS' 60 minutes. I'd watched Mike Wallace drill Williams from top to bottom on all aspects of his sudden retirement. In the end , Mike stood there in awe as Williams answered his questions and more.

Freedom was the certerpoint of Williams argument; citing that he was tired of the fast cars, women, and the celebrity status, which had led to a life of misery and drugs.

Before his interview, my attitude towards Williams was that he was selfish; but after that interview, I saw a man with many issues who'd retired in pursuit for inner peace.

Had he continued his career, it would had been possible that the Dolphins would had won a Super Bowl...

:bsflag:

As a former Barry Sanders fan, I now feel rather guilty in my attitude towards him. As a fan, I'd felt more like a slave owner; demanding Sanders to play for the Lions; now I feel more like a fool, wanting to have some control over something; I, as well as other Lions fans, wanted to take away Barry Sanders' freedom; no wonder he'd left; he wanted to be free.

Ricky Williams' honest answers to Mike Wallace's questions may bring closure to many Dolphins' fans. His testimony lives up to the old saying, "Be carefull of what you ask for; you just might get it.". In layman's terms, it wasn't in his nature to live such a life.

So make fun of his marijuana smoking and his selfishness. To myself, I now see a man who is in a war with himself, and is now winning. It is the fans who are truly selfish; we throw money in their faces, in exchange they do their little tricks for our amusement; and we remind them of what we're doing in a manner all too degrading; ask Ron Artest. To such fans I now say this, "You need to get some freedom in your life".

As far as the NFL owners are concerned, I think they need to consider psycho analysis as a significant factor in drafting football players. It's no use to draft a 6-6, 225, 4.1 receiver if his interests are somewhere other than in football. I now feel that it is the responsibility of the team to recruit players who really want to play for them.

Thanks Ricky for reminding people that athletes are human beings, not robots. If I were Ricky Williams, I would had closed that interview with the following...

"Kiss it!!! I'm not your whore...I want my life back...Bye!"

WOW--I think I saw the same one you did but my take on it was the exact opposite. He's hiding and lying.

His actions made it clear that this story is a false one. He didn't quit to find inner peace when he clearly quit when he realized he would be suspended for substance abuse. Then actually asked to return when he lost the decision and was found to owe his signing bonus to the Miami Dolphins. He is now fighting that decision, but turned down the deal he specifically asked for.

It is clear to me that this man has worked to ruin his own career, and against all odds was successful at it.

Man playing football is like getting hit by a car every Sunday and having to spend Monday in an ice tub. The toll on mind and body is enough to make the toughest men not look forward to it...especially the running backs.

Try getting gang-tackled by 11 300+ pounders 40 times in 3 hours.

Its his life, I'm glad he's doing something he enjoys now. Waste of talent? Come on, he's done enough already.

nakedemperor said:
Man playing football is like getting hit by a car every Sunday and having to spend Monday in an ice tub. The toll on mind and body is enough to make the toughest men not look forward to it...especially the running backs.

Its his life, I'm glad he's doing something he enjoys now. Waste of talent? Come on, he's done enough already.

Actually, most tacklers on the field weigh a bunch less than 300lbs. :) the 300lbs guys are 'blockers' by trade. Generally, leading tacklers on the field are defensive backs.

:D

nakedemperor said:

Thank all the little gods the Marines don't feel this way.....

He let down alot of team members, if it wasn't clear that he was doing this for the most selfish of reasons I would probably support you in this one. Don't sign the contract if you are unwilling to perform.

This was a broken promise, his word is crap.

nakedemperor said:

Sure it's tough but if you think thats why he got out, I got a bridge to sell ya.--he even admitted to Wallace that he hadn't ruled out playing again. Ricky's a fraud as a person

dilloduck said:
Sure it's tough but if you think thats why he got out, I got a bridge to sell ya.--he even admitted to Wallace that he hadn't ruled out playing again. Ricky's a fraud as a person

To be honest, I don't really care why he stopped playing. Its a gaaaame. And he's not exactly killing the business.

nakedemperor said:
To be honest, I don't really care why he stopped playing. Its a gaaaame. And he's not exactly killing the business.

I still think a promise is a promise. Either stick to it or you aren't fit to be in public. People that can just walk away from something they promised to do without being released simply disgust me.

:puke:

nakedemperor said:
nor I---can't believe they even bothered with him on 60 minutes but thats CBS for ya

Well, quiting is a part of reality; we'd all done it at one moment of our lifetimes; or are we still pretending to be perfect?

As far as his wanting to play again; playing sports is a drug by nature; you just can't go "cold turkey". When he mentioned the Raiders as his choice, I don't blame him.

I, as a Lions fan, I'd visited CA to see the Raiders play the Lions. I'd looked around and I was in awe... Thousand of people, dressed up for Holloween, celebrating the very idea of the Raiders playing football; these fans never cared about rather or not the had Radiers won; to them it was just a Sunday afternoon costume party; had the raider won, it would be the icing on the cake.

To answer everyone's question, again, Ricky is a free spirit who is willing to play again, but only for the Raiders; A free spirited team, ran by a free spirited owner, who's fans are free spirited in nature.

Let him go Dolphins Fans and move on!

-signed, a Lions fan who's now letting go of Barry Sanders.

Ricky Williams made a promise, signed a contract and then welched on these to the Dolphins. He's nothing more than a junkie lost soul and a crook. He owes the Dolphins millions.

OCA said:
Ricky Williams made a promise, signed a contract and then welched on these to the Dolphins. He's nothing more than a junkie lost soul and a crook. He owes the Dolphins millions.

Who's fault is that? Sounds to me like the fault lies within the Dolphins' front office. Afterall, they'd signed a man who was willing to dressed up as a "bride" for a photo shoot?

Come on man, they knew he was off the rocker. They took a calculated risk and it blew up on them; I'm a Lions fan; you're preaching to the choir when you talk to me about these matters. Cry me a river. It's better off, and quite cheaper, to settle out and let him be.

hylandrdet said:
Who's fault is that? Sounds to me like the fault lies within the Dolphins' front office. Afterall, they'd signed a man who was willing to dressed up as a "bride" for a photo shoot?

Come on man, they knew he was off the rocker. They took a calculated risk and it blew up on them; I'm a Lions fan; you're preaching to the choir when you talk to me about these matters. Cry me a river. It's better off, and quite cheaper, to settle out and let him be.

The difference with Sanders is that when he retired the team released him, when Ricky decided to go back on his word there was no such agreement.

I still believe that when you say you will; then you should. I have no respect for Ricky at all.

no1tovote4 said:
The difference with Sanders is that when he retired the team released him, when Ricky decided to go back on his word there was no such agreement.

I still believe that when you say you will; then you should. I have no respect for Ricky at all.

side note:---this idiot got in tons of trouble here in Austin while playing here--all got covered up an swept under the rug--loser from the start.

no1tovote4 said:

Absolutely, Ricky signed a contract, the Dolphins knew that they were getting a fruit loop but his talent, god what talent!, outweighed those things in professional sports. Ricky should honor his contract or pay back the millions he stole.

OCA said:
Absolutely, Ricky signed a contract, the Dolphins knew that they were getting a fruit loop but his talent, god what talent!, outweighed those things in professional sports. Ricky should honor his contract or pay back the millions he stole.

I agree. He owes the money. No if ands or buts about it....

I agree wholeheartedly that he owes them the money, and that he should be required to hold a steady job and make payments towards that amount (even if it is $10 a month). However, the Dolphins did not nor do not OWN Ricky Williams...and if he wishes to violate his contract, either because he is a selfish prick or because he is sufferring from some sort of social anxiety disorder, its his choice.

Personally, I think he's a selfish prick who's got some issues, he'll get back on his meds, realize that being poor sucks, and go back to play for the Raiders within the next two years. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, however, if he tries something legally to get out of having to pay the Dolphins what they are owed...I just hope he doesn't get away with it.

He should never be allowed to play again until his contract with the Dolphins is up & they are paid back, as for the team not owning him your right, but on the same token he took a good bit of money saying they did . My personal feeling on him is he should never play ball again,I understand drug abuse is a sickness but there is help for this, he could of gotten the help he needed in the off season, so he broke the rules & should be punished. If his contract was up & he retired I would have nothing but praises for him.
Jeff :)

Forum List

Back