Rick Santorum--the EMBARRASSMENT to the Republican party.

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
I am a 59 year old Republican and have been all of my life. I am more fiscally conservative--(Tea Party member) than I am conservative on social issues.

Yes, I am pro-life--but understand the circumstances of woman or young girl wanting an abortion in the instances of rape or incest, & of course the health of the woman. I would much prefer that women and men use birth control contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancies and STD'S. I don't hate gays--in fact, I have friends that are gay. I understand that homosexuality is not a disease, and it certainly is not a choice.

I think that the majority of fiscal conservatives feel the same as I do--but are more than likely the silent majority--and are looking for a candidate that lays off of social & religious issues--and is more concerned with balanced budgets--lowering the deficit--cutting the size of government--becoming energy independent, etc. etc.

In my opinion Rick Santorum ALONE has changed the topic from what I am concerned about--to abortion--and now birth control contraceptives.

In a statement Santorum made in January 2012 he stated: "States have the right to ban birth control contraceptives."

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, whose strong base of evangelical Christian supporters has thrust him into contention in Iowa, said on Monday that he believes states should have the right to outlaw birth control and sodomy without the interference of the Supreme Court.

In an interview with Jake Tapper on ABC News, Santorum reiterated his opposition to the Supreme Court’s 1965 ruling that prevented Connecticut from banning contraception.

“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that," he said. "It is not a constitutional right. The state has the right to pass whatever statutes they have. That's the thing I have said about the activism of the Supreme Court--they are creating rights, and it should be left up to the people to decide."

Santorum said he also opposes the Supreme Court's 2003 Lawrence v. Texas decision striking down a ban on sodomy in Texas and 13 other states. Even though he would not personally vote for a ban on sodomy, he said, he thinks states should legally be able to pass them, because sodomy is not a constitutionally protected right.
Rick Santorum: States Should Have Power To Ban Birth Control, Sodomy

Of course, the U.S. Supreme court in 1965 (Griswold v Connecticut) said NO--States nor your next door neighbor has the right to intervene into the private--personal matters between you and your spouse.

Santorum then turns into a GYN doctor and explains that birth control devices are harmful to women's health, and society.
Santorum: Birth control ‘harmful to women’ - Right Turn - The Washington Post

Of course--Santorum says there are no exceptions to abortion for rape or incest victims.
oxnewsinsider.com/2012/01/14/rick-santorum-on-abortion-there-are-no-exceptions-for-rape-and-incest/

Santorum's vicious statements toward homosexuality is over the top. Apparently not understanding that there are many Republican households in this country that have gays in their families or friends that are gay--that find his comments just as offensive as gays do.
Recently Santorum referred to beastiality in one comment.

This is the EMBARRASSMENT of the Republican party--in which one candidate who is so far right on social issues to ever even consider running for President---let alone thinking he can win.

There is no possible way Rick Santorum could EVER defeat Barack Obama. Independents--women--including conservative women would be running to those voting booths to vote for Barack Obama.

Last edited:
I am a 59 year old Republican and have been all of my life. I am more fiscally conservative--(Tea Party member) than I am conservative on social issues.

Yes, I am pro-life--but understand the circumstances of woman or young girl wanting an abortion in the instances of rape or incest, & of course the health of the woman. I would much prefer that women and men use birth control contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancies and STD'S. I don't hate gays--in fact, I have friends that are gay. I understand that homosexuality is not a disease, and it certainly is not a choice.

I think that the majority of fiscally conservatives feel the same as I do--but are more than likely the silent majority--and are looking for a candidate that lays off of social & religious issues--and is more concerned with balanced budgets--lowering the deficit--cutting the size of government--becoming energy independent, etc. etc.

In my opinion Rick Santorum ALONE has changed the topic from what I am concerned about--to abortion--and now birth control contraceptives.

In a statement Santorum made in January 2012 he stated: "States have the right to ban birth control contraceptives."

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, whose strong base of evangelical Christian supporters has thrust him into contention in Iowa, said on Monday that he believes states should have the right to outlaw birth control and sodomy without the interference of the Supreme Court.

In an interview with Jake Tapper on ABC News, Santorum reiterated his opposition to the Supreme Court’s 1965 ruling that prevented Connecticut from banning contraception.

“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that," he said. "It is not a constitutional right. The state has the right to pass whatever statutes they have. That's the thing I have said about the activism of the Supreme Court--they are creating rights, and it should be left up to the people to decide."

Santorum said he also opposes the Supreme Court's 2003 Lawrence v. Texas decision striking down a ban on sodomy in Texas and 13 other states. Even though he would not personally vote for a ban on sodomy, he said, he thinks states should legally be able to pass them, because sodomy is not a constitutionally protected right.

Of course, the U.S. Supreme court in 1965 (Griswold v Connecticut) said NO--States nor your next door neighbor has the right to intervene into the private--personal matters between you and your spouse.

Santorum then turns into a GYN doctor and explains that birth control devices are harmful to women's health, and society.

Of course--Santorum says there are no exceptions to abortion for rape or incest victims.
oxnewsinsider.com/2012/01/14/rick-santorum-on-abortion-there-are-no-exceptions-for-rape-and-incest/

Santorum's vicious statements toward homosexuality is over the top. Apparently not understanding that there are many Republican households in this country that have gays in their families or friends that are gay--that find his comments just as offensive as gays do.

This is the EMBARRASSMENT of the Republican party--in which one candidate who is so far right on social issues to ever even consider running for President---let alone thinking he can win.

There is no possible way Rick Santorum could EVER defeat Barack Obama. Independents--women--including conservative women would be running to those voting booths to vote for Barack Obama.
I would rep you brother but I am empty.

Here's the deal cookie. Regardless of the fake panic of fake republicans the fact is that Santorum simply doesn't want taxpayers to pay for the cost of birth control and neither do I.

Rick Santorum gives you the opportunity to see what's in here. What's up here. And what's burning down here.

I didn't know Santorum was caustic.

And States do have the right to ban contraceptives. The Federal Government clearly leaves them that power in the tenth amendment. They shouldn't. I would oppose any effort anyone made to do so. As would Rick. But unless you somehow want to ignore the Constitution they have that right.

You know this. We went over this the last time you ranted about it like three days ago.

snip

So what you are saying is that conversatives should shut up about social issues because they are losers?

So what are they supposed to stand for, exactly?

Look, if you want to play a cynical game that you are going to throw all principles out the window and just pick the guy who polls best against Obama right now, because you hate Obama so much, knock yourself out.

The Democrats tried that in 2004, and failed. The Republicans tried that in 1996, and failed.

I think that Santorum is a weak candidate, honestly. I think the GOP Establishment cleared the feild for a candidate that the rank and file doesn't really want, and Santorum is the last gasp of "PLease don't make me".

I don't worry about the social issues (which I don't care about at all at this point in my life) because I know there just isn't a lot a President can do about them. I've been hearing "Oh my God, they are going to take away our abortions" since Reagan. I just can't take it seriously at this point.

Why would anyone say Santorum is an "embarrassment"? He represents the Republican Party perfectly. Anti gay. Hates other religions. Says women shouldn't be president because they should be at home raising kids. Screws the poor. Loves big business.

He represents! What's not to love?

Holy crap. Between oreo and JoeB, we have two conservatives who are not afraid to break from partisan sheepism and to be honest about what's going on. I don't know if such intellectual honesty is allowed in this venue. If this were to continue and expand, we might end up with honest and constructive political discourse on a regular basis. Shouldn't we call the authorities or something?

I think that the majority of fiscal conservatives feel the same as I do--but are more than likely the silent majority--and are looking for a candidate that lays off of social & religious issues--and is more concerned with balanced budgets--lowering the deficit--cutting the size of government--becoming energy independent, etc. etc.

Rick went after that subject because that is where the base is.

The republican base is insane.

This is the base that Ronny first courted to win office.

without this base you can not win elections.

That is why the republicans have cheated in elections for decades.

Now you have reached a point that these people will drag you down and keep you from winning a general election.

You cant cheat enough to win without getting caught.

Dump the insane base and you will have to cheat even more.

The republican party has shackled its self by cheating and courting crazy people.

enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Rick went after that subject because that is where the base is.

The republican base is insane.

This is the base that Ronny first courted to win office.

without this base you can not win elections.

That is why the republicans have cheated in elections for decades.

Now you have reached a point that these people will drag you down and keep you from winning a general election.

You cant cheat enough to win without getting caught.

Dump the insane base and you will have to cheat even more.

The republican party has shackled its self by cheating and courting crazy people.

enjoy the fruits of your labors.

I don't think it's "insanity". I think it's a combination of ignorance, bigotry and propaganda.

I think that the majority of fiscally conservatives feel the same as I do--but are more than likely the silent majority--and are looking for a candidate that lays off of social & religious issues--and is more concerned with balanced budgets--lowering the deficit--cutting the size of government--becoming energy independent, etc. etc.

I would rep you brother but I am empty.
Yeah, I can use the Griswold pages in my Con Law text for blotting paper.

That's a hoot. Really, very funny.

As to the op, its true that Santorum is an embarrassment to real human beings everywhere BUT he's a true boon, a great help to the Dems/libs.

While he preaching against university education, the Dems are sending their kids to college in the droves.

If fruitcake Santorum gets his way, eventually, the Dems will all be well educated and hold well paying jobs while the poor pubs will be digging ditches and asking, "Do you wanna super size that?"

Yes, I am pro-life--but understand the circumstances of woman or young girl wanting an abortion in the instances of rape or incest, & of course the health of the woman. I would much prefer that women and men use birth control contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancies and STD'S.

I’m pro-life as well, everyone is – that’s not the issue, the issue is the radical right’s desire to violate the Constitution as some sort of a ‘remedy,’ a remedy that won’t solve the problem of abortion.
I don't hate gays--in fact, I have friends that are gay. I understand that homosexuality is not a disease, and it certainly is not a choice.

Which is consistent with traditional republican tenets. The author of the majority opinion in Lawrence, Justice Kennedy, appointed by Reagan, is a conservative republican, but not an ideologue – that’s the important difference.

So, now that you’ve established you’re not some extremist nitwit, what’s your plan to take your party back, return it to sanity, and keep the rightwing extremists in the backseat where they belong?

This Paul on Santorum statement seems less than friendly:

MT. PLEASANT, Mich. - Ron Paul on Saturday laughed off remarks made by fellow GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum earlier in the day speculating that Paul and Mitt Romney have a backroom running mate deal going.
"I don't know what all that meant," Paul chuckled backstage of a rally he held here at Central Michigan University. "No, we've never had a conversation, anything like that ... but he's a family person, I've known him for five years, so it is a little bit different. But I don't agree with [him on] hardly anything, probably."

Santorum has openly speculated that Paul and Romney are working together. He vented his frustration at multiple events on Saturday that "in 20 debates, Ron Paul never attacked Mitt Romney." During last week's debate in Arizona, Santorum said, "I felt like messages were being slipped behind my chair."

Paul admitted to reporters that he's never "volunteered" an attack on Romney during a debate, but said he "answered the questions when they asked me." He said Santorum's sudden gripe about the issue shows that he's "desperate."

As for the Texas Congressman's attack ads, which have been harsh on Santorum but absent on Romney, particularly in Michigan, Paul said that "right now the anti-Romney candidate is Santorum, so I have to get his votes, as I did at one time with Gingrich."

Though Saturday marked Paul's first day campaigning in Michigan, more than 2,000 students and other supporters greeted him with signs and chants at what was billed as a "Soldier, Airmen, and Sailors for Ron Paul" rally. Paul has been polling third in the state, behind Santorum and Romney.

Asked about his expectations, Paul said his campaign isn't shooting for a specific percentage threshold, but bragged that he holds the second-highest number of "firm delegates" so far of any of the candidates.

"I feel good, but I'm realistic," he said. "And this is our first trip up where, so we expect to do well but I don't have any precise predictions. But we have a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of supporters, and I'm encouraged when I come to a meeting like we had here tonight."

Forum List

Back