Rick Santorum and UHS Being Sued by DOJ

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Rick Santorum And Universal Health Services: Presidential Hopeful Serves On Board of Hospital Chain Being Sued By DOJ

WASHINGTON -- Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, who announced his bid for president Monday, has spent the past four years serving on the board of Universal Health Services Inc. (UHS), one of the country's largest and most troubled hospital chains.

It turns out Santorum may have had a more personal stake in railing against President Barack Obama's signature health care legislation and beating the drum for less government intrusion in our health care system. Both federal and state officials have routinely cited UHS for a seemingly endless number of violations, ranging from Medicaid fraud to patient neglect and abuse. Investigations have uncovered everything from riots to rape to homicide at UHS facilities.

During Santorum's tenure on the UHS board, state documents and court records show, patients at UHS health care facilities have endured systemic failures that have cost millions in court settlements. In several instances, the company and its subsidiaries have been threatened with losing the ability to take in federally-subsidized patients. At various times, states have stopped sending children to UHS facilities. And in the last few years, the King of Prussia, Pa.-based mega-company has been the subject of two Department of Justice lawsuits accusing the chain of fraud.

Rick Santorum And Universal Health Services: Presidential Hopeful Serves On Board of Hospital Chain Being Sued By DOJ

Okay, my reason for posting this really has little to do with Rick Santorum. While I don't like the guy politically, this is not a rant against him. What bothers me here, is the size and scope of this company. Reading through the article, there are many accusations that this company cares much more about making money than they do patient care. And because the company is so big, it seems that there is little control over what is happening.

I have seen this type of thing happen in other businesses, where the business becomes so big, that the drive for profit becomes the only important factor. Quality control goes out the window. In most cases, it isn't that this mentality is being pushed from the top, but it happens as pressure to make more money is put on everyone. Profit itself is not a bad thing, but when profit is placed above quality, it becomes a problem. And here is the biggest problem that I see. Normally, quality of care or service, in any business, would be kept stable through competition. The problem with some of these healthcare providers is that they become so large that they dominate entire regions. For instance, I live in Toledo. Promedica is the largest healthcare provider. Second to that is Mercy Hospitals. After that, there really isn't anyone else. All of the hospitals, that I know of, in the area are owned by one of these two groups. Promedica just bought out another Hospital last year. When providers develop a monopoly, quality of care can become a secondary factor. And when your insurance only allows you to go to one provider because the choices are so limited, this drives out competition, which increases costs and drops overall quality of care.

Reading through the article, there are many accusations that this company cares much more about making money than they do patient care. And because the company is so big, it seems that there is little control over what is happening.

But everyone knows when private enterprise runs healthcare, the invisible hand of the market ensures the best patient outcomes! No way a private corporation would cut corners with the care of their customers! They don't even have death panels!

- signed:

A medical student who is at a community hospital that services a patient population that is exclusively medicaid and is damn proud of the care his hospital provides to those that would otherwise get no care.

Okay, my reason for posting this really has little to do with Rick Santorum. While I don't like the guy politically, this is not a rant against him. What bothers me here, is the size and scope of this company. Reading through the article, there are many accusations that this company cares much more about making money than they do patient care. And because the company is so big, it seems that there is little control over what is happening.
You’re right: insurance companies are about making money, not providing healthcare. Indeed, insurance companies consider paying a claim an aberration – in theory a claim should never be paid.

Forum List

Back