Rick Santorum and UHS Being Sued by DOJ

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by auditor0007, Jun 8, 2011.

1. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Rick Santorum And Universal Health Services: Presidential Hopeful Serves On Board of Hospital Chain Being Sued By DOJ

Rick Santorum And Universal Health Services: Presidential Hopeful Serves On Board of Hospital Chain Being Sued By DOJ

Okay, my reason for posting this really has little to do with Rick Santorum. While I don't like the guy politically, this is not a rant against him. What bothers me here, is the size and scope of this company. Reading through the article, there are many accusations that this company cares much more about making money than they do patient care. And because the company is so big, it seems that there is little control over what is happening.

I have seen this type of thing happen in other businesses, where the business becomes so big, that the drive for profit becomes the only important factor. Quality control goes out the window. In most cases, it isn't that this mentality is being pushed from the top, but it happens as pressure to make more money is put on everyone. Profit itself is not a bad thing, but when profit is placed above quality, it becomes a problem. And here is the biggest problem that I see. Normally, quality of care or service, in any business, would be kept stable through competition. The problem with some of these healthcare providers is that they become so large that they dominate entire regions. For instance, I live in Toledo. Promedica is the largest healthcare provider. Second to that is Mercy Hospitals. After that, there really isn't anyone else. All of the hospitals, that I know of, in the area are owned by one of these two groups. Promedica just bought out another Hospital last year. When providers develop a monopoly, quality of care can become a secondary factor. And when your insurance only allows you to go to one provider because the choices are so limited, this drives out competition, which increases costs and drops overall quality of care.

2. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,543
    I saw that. Santorum is a piece of shit.

3. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    But everyone knows when private enterprise runs healthcare, the invisible hand of the market ensures the best patient outcomes! No way a private corporation would cut corners with the care of their customers! They don't even have death panels!

- signed:

A medical student who is at a community hospital that services a patient population that is exclusively medicaid and is damn proud of the care his hospital provides to those that would otherwise get no care.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    You’re right: insurance companies are about making money, not providing healthcare. Indeed, insurance companies consider paying a claim an aberration – in theory a claim should never be paid.